I really messed up this time....

Well the other day I decided to get rid of all the dust that was in the fan and heatsink sitting on top of the cpu... so I take it off and get the dust out then put it back on again... thinking about it I did use a fair amount of force.. well, those things are hard to get on. Anyway now when I try to turn the computer on the only thing that happens is the cpu fan turns. aaagghhh. Where do I start?

Cheers!

Matt
11 answers Last reply
More about messed time
  1. LOL You took your HSF off? How did you get the dust off?????
  2. I took the heatsink off with the fan still attached to it... didnt take the fan off. Dust was between the two, got it out with a pointy thing.
  3. If you didn't reinstall your heat sink and fan properly, the CPU will overheat very quickly and the thermal protection will shut it down almost immediately.
  4. Did you reapply thermal compound?
  5. Don't listen to Wusy - he's just a pot-head.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker PSU</b></font color=blue>
  8. Your sig is just... ... ...

AMD A64 3200+ Newcastle @ 2.4 Ghz
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    1GB Corsair DDR400 ValueSelect (CL2.5) @ DDR440
    Geforce MX440 64mb on FANLESS COOLING. It's OC'ed though =)
  9. THermal compound? Ahhh nope.. no I didnt... Guess I fried it then?
  10. Maybe not try applying the compound and then try it again. I don't know what kind of protection it has but my understanding is that it shuts down if it overheats, hopefully this is the case.
  11. 1) What CPU is it?
    2) Did you scrape the CPU with the "pointy thing"?
    3) Did any of the dust look like a thin coating of dry black paint or grey/white squidgy goop?

<pre><font color=purple><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
    King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=purple></pre><p>@ 187K -> 200,000 miles or bust!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs