Ugh, gutted comp, help with Windows Reinstall

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Hey all any info on this would be appreciated ASAP as I'm in the process of setting this up.

I just gutted my old system and put in new CPU, mobo, RAM, video. Same HD as C:\ w/WinXP pro and CD drive.

Well I go to boot up and windows won't start, the comp just keeps rebooting. Makes sense, since everything changed. However, a couple questions...

I put in my Windows install CD and hit "r" from the menu to do a recovery. Well, it didn't do crap, it asked which windows install, asked for my admin password, and then just brought me to a dos screen with C:\Windows. Umm... ok... well nothing useful there.

Next I decided to just reintall. It goes through and says it will overwrite current installation. Of course. BUT... then it says All files, folders, subfolders, applications, user accounts, security settings, and possibly my documents folder for this windows installation will be deleted. Are you sure you want to continue?

Soo.. wait... what?? To reinstall windows I have to lose everything? All my files, documents, installed games and applications...???? Dees this format everything, or just mess up the reg settings? Will I lose mp3/avi files on the HD?

And most importantly, is there a better way to get my comp up and running without doing this? A way to recover or get around this? Please help, soon if you can... thank you!!

Dan

P4c 3.2Ghz @ 800MHz Northwood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB Corsair XMS-Pro CL2 Pc3200 / 160GB Seagate SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache / BFG-Tech Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb / Antec Sonata case w/Antec TruePower 380W PSU

TechMan

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
Back up your data on some media, e.g., CD or another HD. Then, next time you do a complete install, partition your HD first into an OS and a Data disk. A little preparation like this will save you a lot of trouble later.

On Cache and Bandwidth:
You do mean cash, and fan width goes to Intel right? - endyen 05

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Sounds like your OS is flipping out because it's looking for the drivers on your old hardware. In most cases, when you upgrade the mobo/cpu/vga, etc. you will have to start with a clean install of windows. You can't just swap out hardware and expect your OS to have any idea what you just did. Reformat your HD. If you need to get some data from it first, put together your old setup and then back up your data.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax</b></font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
XP always asks me "Do you want to repair the current installation or perform a new one".

No, the recovery console does nothing important for you. But I can't believe you're not finding the other option.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
well I had XP pro installed but only had the XP home disc available, other one is 2000 miles away. I just reinstalled it all. Files are still there, registry settings aren't. It'll be a little work, but I didn't lose anything, so it's all good.

BUT...

I have a new problem. I cannot for the life of me get my internet connected and working. I have 3 comps all going through a hub to a comcast cable modem. The other two work, this one doesn't. This one worked before I gutted/reinstalled. It used to have a netgear card, no longer, and I dont have the card anymore. Now I am using onboard LAN.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the device in device manager, installed the mobo drives, it sees the NVIDIA onboard LAN thing and says enabled, but I can't see shared stuff on the network or connect. When I try to "repair" it says can't connect to get the IP. AHHH I've never had such a hard time setting this up. I've run the wizard about 5-6 times now and tried all the settings. Can anyone help?

P4c 3.2Ghz @ 800MHz Northwood / ABIT AI7 / 1GB Corsair XMS-Pro CL2 Pc3200 / 160GB Seagate SATA 7200rpm 8mb cache / BFG-Tech Nvidia GeForce 6800GT 256mb / Antec Sonata case w/Antec TruePower 380W PSU

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
i had to delete winsock & winsock2 from registry, uninstall/reinstall TCP/IP, restart, and problem was fixed...