Command Line control Windows webcam

Hey there.
I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro (USB) camera that I need to use to snap
a single image when called by command line. I have an audio
application that can run an external program with command line
arguments when certain criteria are met. When these criteria are met,
I need to snap a single picture and save it on the hard drive.

Any idea what webcam apps support taking a single image when called by
command line, or how else I would do this?

Thanks in advance.

-J

On 12 Apr 2005 10:15:18 -0700, eyestalk@gmail.com wrote:

>Hey there.
>I have a Logitech Quickcam Pro (USB) camera that I need to use to snap
>a single image when called by command line. I have an audio
>application that can run an external program with command line
>arguments when certain criteria are met. When these criteria are met,
>I need to snap a single picture and save it on the hard drive.
>
>Any idea what webcam apps support taking a single image when called by
>command line, or how else I would do this?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Using the free webcam2000 webcam program you can do several
things including snapping and saving individual pix using a batch
file (have your audio program run the batch file). I'm also
tinkering with another free cam program called VFWgrab that will
grag pix using a batch file. The webcam2000 setup is at my page
below. Bottom link is new webcam2000 page I'm currently testing.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/webcamsetup.htm
http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc20000sw.htm

batchloaf

If, like me, you arrived at this ancient discussion looking for a simple command line app to capture a single snapshot from a webcam in Windows, you might be interested in the following post on my blog:

http://batchloaf.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/snapz-a-command-line-cam-image-grabber/

I spent a few hours looking around for a program to take a snapshot from a USB camera in a batch file. I couldn't find one that worked for me, so I wrote snapz to do just that. It's really basic - when you run it, it just snaps one 640x480 image from whichever camera is the default device in Windows. If that sounds like what you need, then help yourself! Oh yeah, it's free and the full source code is in the blog post.

batchloaf

Just a small update. Since several people found their way to my little command line image grabber from this page, I thought I'd stop back and leave a link to the updated version which is based on DirectShow (the previous one used the ancient VFW API). This version should work with a much wider range of webcams. It's called CommandCam and basically just captures a single bitmap image from a webcam using a command like "CommandCam.exe /filename myfile.bmp".

The program is completely free and the both source code and executable versions are available from the following location:

http://batchloaf.wordpress.com/commandcam/

HansKeller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Hi,

I am using CLScan to capture periodical picutures from my web camera. It does work and it was pretty simple to learn the commands even though there is a good documentation included.

Bye,
Hans

TRENDING THREADS