THG CPU review moratorium.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Its official.. until intel cpu's catch up, THG will no longer be reviewing new cpu's, since all we need to improve photoshop or DVD encoding performance is a new videocard !
<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20050511/index.html" target="_new"> Clockspeed is history</A>

Who was it again that thought THG had lost some friends at intel ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
How generous he is! He provided us 3 DIRECT Links of different A64 X2 reviews. (except Anandtech, the latter ones are unimportant anyway)

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
The problem with this article, is that we don't learn anything from it! We all know that in many area GPU is the bottleneck, but as you said... No word about video trancoding, 3D rendering, file compression, code compiling...

And with DUAL-CORE on the rise! I know for sure that Code Compiling will be a very good selling point for the programmers all around the world who will have to "re-learn" how to efficiently code for multi-threaded/multi-cpus systems.

We should stop complaining about THG editorial quality, and focusing what's is still holding us here... Good discussion about PC Technology!

See ya!

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Firefox</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And with DUAL-CORE on the rise! I know for sure that Code Compiling will be a very good selling point for the programmers all around the world who will have to "re-learn" how to efficiently code for multi-threaded/multi-cpus systems.
As a software engineer, I have to say that I disagree with that. Learning new 3D rendering features and the likes are fun. Dealing with the really bad architecture that exists for multithreading isn't. So this <i>isn't</i> going to excite many programmers. It's only going to give them heartburn and premature male pattern baldness when they keep pulling their hair out. So it's not a selling point. It's a severe road block.

In fact most won't even be re-learning. They've either learned and been suffering, avoided learning like the plague, or are about to suffer greatly as they learn for the first time.

Besides you can always multithread on a single CPU just as easily. There's nothing stopping a single CPU from running multithreaded code.

For the hopeful PC enthusiast dual core is a great thing to look forward to. For most software engineers it's a nightmare that we had hoped would never come. It'll be interesting to see how the scales tip in the coming years.

<pre><font color=purple><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=purple></pre><p>@ 187K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I don't agree with you, but I'm not a coder...

I personnaly think multi-threaded software dev. is probably very complex, but it the future of applications. Of course, it will cause a lot of headaches, but to stay competitive you don't have the choice to make software that will run fast on actual and future hardware.

Some tasks will be quite easy to multi-thread, for example... Virus scanning could have 2 engines that scans 2 or more chunk of data at the same time. Of course in many apps, multi-threading wouls be harder to implement, but once coders will find ways to use it in efficient ways, this will greatly improve users experience.

I can't wait to run multi-threaded/64bit games binaries. I know you can make it!

I work in the telecom business and I assure you that I can't rest on my laurels and I 'm pretty sure multi-thread will change the way telecom equipments will work.

I encourage you to jump into multi-thread coding ASAP! :smile:

-
GA-K8NF-9 / <b><font color=green>Athlon 64 3200+</font color=green> @ 3800+</b>
Infineon DDR400 (CL2.5) 2x512Megs
<font color=green>GeForce 6600GT 128Megs</font color=green>
<A HREF="http://www.getfirefox.com" target="_new">Get Firefox!</A>

endyen

Splendid
Well at least he's shown how pointless 80% of THG's benches are. If they cant put together a reasonable package of benchmarks, why should they bother doing cpu reviews?