Question about Installing Windows 7

FrozenC0re

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I'm building my own computer for the first time later this week, and I am wondering how to install Windows 7. I have a Student copy of Windows Vista 32 bit (i am unsure if this includes the 64 bit version as well). I also have access to a windows 7 Professional/ultimate "upgrade" that i can either purchase at a discount through my school, or download it free of charge. My question is, once i install windows vista, and download the windows 7 install disc (64 bit version) which as i've read requires a clean install, can i use the download to do this (the clean install) or do i need the disc, and can I do it with a "upgrade" disc, or do i need an actual full Windows 7 Install disc?

Note: I have 8gb of ram, which is why i want the 64bit version.

cl-scott

Honorable
The "download" version just means you download an ISO and burn the disc yourself. So in the end you will have a disc one way or the other, it's just whether you want to pay someone for the service of burning one for you.

FrozenC0re

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I figured that, but my question is, can i do a clean install (no previous OS) with the "upgrade" disc, or do i need a store bought 99 dollar windows 7 disc?

the vista disc i have is a "upgrade" disc, and i've only ever used that for bootcamp on my old macbook, i've never even tried that disc on a completely wiped system

cl-scott

Honorable

Yes, it will at some point ask you to provide proof of ownership of a qualifying product, in this case Vista, but other than that you should be fine.

FrozenC0re

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
so in theory i could download the windows 7 upgrade, burn it to a dvd, and just use that, or do i need vista installed first? (vista disc is a upgrade as well and have never done a clean install with it (unless bootcamp counts)).