Closed Solved

What to buy - Video/Graphics Card

I need to know the MB rating for the Intel GMA 4500 graphics card.
OR, just what is the best 512MB graphics card to get for the most minimal purpose!?
I am purchasing equipment for a grant and the grant specifies the graphics card be at least 512 MB Graphics card. This doesn't seem to be the typical way these cards are rated/defined. I don't need anything fancy - this is for a library computer that only uses the Internet to search the library catalog, but I must comply with minimum specs. outlined in the grant application and I am not a gamer/know next to nothing about graphics cards.
Please help! thanks and Happy New Year!
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about what video graphics card
  1. rhml said:
    I need to know the MB rating for the Intel GMA 4500 graphics card.
    OR, just what is the best 512MB graphics card to get for the most minimal purpose!?
    I am purchasing equipment for a grant and the grant specifies the graphics card be at least 512 MB Graphics card. This doesn't seem to be the typical way these cards are rated/defined. I don't need anything fancy - this is for a library computer that only uses the Internet to search the library catalog, but I must comply with minimum specs. outlined in the grant application and I am not a gamer/know next to nothing about graphics cards.
    Please help! thanks and Happy New Year!



    The Intel GMA 4500 integrated graphics processor would be a great choice for a library computer.

    The GMA 4500 uses DVMT (Dynamic video memory technology). Basically it will use the systems memory when needed. When not needed it will return the memory back to the Operating system for application or system use. So the amount of memory for the GMA 4500 is dependent on first its memory bandwidth, which is 17 GB for DDR3 and around 12 GB for DDR2 and second the actual amount of memory available to it from the system. You didn't mention the amount of RAM for the computer, but this post should give you an idea of what the GMA processors are about.

    EDIT: By the way, I think its great that you are researching this topic rather then just using the money on any card that list the minimum spec needed. +1 to you.
  2. Thank you. The memory bandwidth for this PC is I guess 17 GB because it is DDR3 SDRAM. RAM = 4GB. Where does that put the amount of memory for the GMA 4500?

    Not sure if you meant to link to an article:
    "You didn't mention the amount of RAM for the computer, but this post should give you an idea of what the GMA processors are about."
    ?
    Thanks again for the quick response.
  3. Best answer
    rhml said:
    Thank you. The memory bandwidth for this PC is I guess 17 GB because it is DDR3 SDRAM. RAM = 4GB. Where does that put the amount of memory for the GMA 4500?

    Not sure if you meant to link to an article:
    "You didn't mention the amount of RAM for the computer, but this post should give you an idea of what the GMA processors are about."
    ?
    Thanks again for the quick response.


    Sorry, I meant the post I posted =).

    Your system will have 4GB of memory so the GMA in theory will have 4GB of memory. Although it of course won't use all 4GB. The 4GB of memory will be shared between the GPU (GMA 4500) and the rest of the system. For library task you won't see the GMA 4500 require too much memory, and most definitely not 4 GB of it.

    Basically the GMA 4500 will exceed the 512MB requirement you need. Because the memory used is dynamic and shared with the rest of the system there is no concrete amount for the GMA 4500. If you have to report it I would be put between 512MB-4GB or just 4GB.

    Sources:
    Wiki (my old library teacher hated wikipedia so I had to) :sol: Look at the chart listing the GMA 4500, it list the bandwidth and the DVMT =) --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA
    Intel, x4500, same memory as 4500 just different clock speed and chipset --> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/g41-express-chipset.html
  4. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure.

    skaz said:
    Sorry, I meant the post I posted =).

    Your system will have 4GB of memory so the GMA in theory will have 4GB of memory. Although it of course won't use all 4GB. The 4GB of memory will be shared between the GPU (GMA 4500) and the rest of the system. For library task you won't see the GMA 4500 require too much memory, and most definitely not 4 GB of it.

    Basically the GMA 4500 will exceed the 512MB requirement you need. Because the memory used is dynamic and shared with the rest of the system there is no concrete amount for the GMA 4500. If you have to report it I would be put between 512MB-4GB or just 4GB.

    Sources:
    Wiki (my old library teacher hated wikipedia so I had to) :sol: Look at the chart listing the GMA 4500, it list the bandwidth and the DVMT =) --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA
    Intel, x4500, same memory as 4500 just different clock speed and chipset --> http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/g41-express-chipset.html


    Ha ha! You know libraries well! Don't rely on wikipedia! This chart is great - I have seen it before on Intel's site, but was not able to find it again. Thank you!
  5. rhml said:
    That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure.


    Ha ha! You know libraries well! Don't rely on wikipedia! This chart is great - I have seen it before on Intel's site, but was not able to find it again. Thank you!


    No worry's, good luck to you.
  6. Best answer selected by rhml.
  7. Thanks for the info, Skaz. I went ahead and configured potential PCs with the AMD Radeon 6350 only because it specifically states the 512 MB - to clearly indicate it meets specifications required for the grant. I do appreciate your help in deciphering all this.

    Thanks again!
  8. rhml said:
    Thanks for the info, Skaz. I went ahead and configured potential PCs with the AMD Radeon 6350 only because it specifically states the 512 MB - to clearly indicate it meets specifications required for the grant. I do appreciate your help in deciphering all this.

    Thanks again!


    No worries. Glad everything worked out =)
  9. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Video Intel Peripherals