A64 3800 or OC'D mobile M?

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Hullo,

It's upgrade time for my computer again but I've got questions since I haven't been paying attention to cpus' for ages:

I have an xp2600 at 175*12.5 with 1gb 3200 ram on A7N8X mobo with 9800XT.

Firstly is an upgrade to a faster CPU worth it. Will I see any real performance increase in my games? (I want to leave the GFX upgrade till later when I have more cash)

Next I want an A64 3800 but I was told that the mobile M chip is really overclockable and the performance is on par to the a64s. So what M chip would I want to get and what mobo?

Or ultimately am I just better off getting the 3800 without messing with overclocking cos my XP is suffering from heat exhaustion as it is :)

If anyone has any links regarding overclocking the M chip and what can be expected from it it would be most appreciated particularly in regards to performance versus a64 chips.

Regards,

W

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Ok, by mobile M, should I assume you mean an AXP-m or a Pentium M?

Anyways, there's no real reason to go with such a high end A64 since lower end ones will almost definitely overclock past 3800+ levels anyways thereby saving you some money and giving you that sense of accomplishment. :p

<A HREF="http://nfiniti.blogspot.com" target="_new">nfiniti plus one</A>

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
The pentium M is a good overclocker, and its performance in games is on par with the athlon64. However I only know of desktop boards for the pentium M, one is 855 based and gives you AGP 4x, DDR333 and i dont think has SATA. The other uses a normall 865 chipset but has a socket478 to 479 adaptor card, i would def recommend this board over te 855 based one.

To be honest i think it would be best to go with the Athlon64, purly because the pentium M's are not cheap.

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Don't think I'm gonna go with an overclock. Think I'll get me my A643800.

But important question. IS IT WORTH IT? Will I see a REAL increase in performance over what I have already?

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
That depends on whether your games are CPU bound of VPU bound. For example, if you play UT2003/2004 you'll definitely notice a difference. However if you play games like FarCry (is that right?) that's more VPU bound, then you probably won't notice. If gaming's what you do, you'd probably be better off upgrading the video card more than the CPU. But then you run into the problem of, you'd have to get an AGP card which forces you to go for an AGP based system if you upgrade the mobo/cpu in the future.

<A HREF="http://nfiniti.blogspot.com" target="_new">nfiniti plus one - my blog</A>

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
yeah I dunno anymore. I'm thinking of a 3800 and NEO2 mobo and now im considering a 6800gt which would bring my bill to just shy of 900 euro. Basically for that kinda money I'd want to see a definitive difference.

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
With that 900 investment you are going to have a wide grin.
But even with the 9800xt difference compared to A-XP is noticeable.
A64 platform has much lower latency so it can use every drop of performance from VPU.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
If your current machine is fast enough for the games you play, you won't notice a damn thing even if you end up owning a 5 GHz dual core Athlon 64. Your current setup is not really a slouch, what is it you want to do that you can't ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
I disagree.. my AthlonXP @ 2.2ghz on a NF7-S with ram @ 400mhz dual channel is a bottleneck in alot of games (i have a 9800pro @ 420/350), and seriously chugs down easily when running everyday apps (like skype and msn and firefox at the same time..skypes a cpu hog, well at least on a non-multithreaded cpu)

i think he would get a nice boost from an A64 system, ANY A64 system/P4 system

-------
<b>It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
hehe no its not retard, i can tell when my HDD is being accessed, im talking about after the apps are loaded and running and i have 200mb out of 768megs/ram used :p

athlonxsp suck when multiple apps are running at more than a few % cpu useage each.

-------
<b>It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
my rig is fine tuned by a profession, which is me! :lol:

ps: sorry for calling you a retard, little wuzy-woo

-------

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
*drools*

-------

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I am thinking that the 3800+ would come in handy later on with UE3... That looks like it will be both a cpu and a vpu game. Its all up to you man... If you have the doh, make the pizza!

Edit: I love the sig phial...

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Clob on 05/21/05 06:37 PM.</EM></FONT></P>