Toshiba Satellite Pro A300-1C1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Hi there,

I have a little problem, which is driving me crazy! Forgive me if this has already been asked.

I have (they aren't actually owned by me, they are owned by the school I work for) three Toshiba Satellite Pro A300-1C1 laptops all of which where working fine, until I removed the last bit of crap Toshiba had installed on the laptop, and restarted the system. Upon restart, I was prompted to enter in a password, not the windows user password, but a BIOS password, I have no idea what this is, as I haven't set one up, nor has anyone else (when I booted the laptops up this morning they where working fine and didn't ask for a password).

I have browsed the internet, with no luck - my only hope seems to be a bit of bootable software called KillCMOS, but I am wary about using this as I have read some stories of users using KillCMOS and their systems have just died completely.

Does anyone else have any suggestions as to how this problem can be resolved? I have tried backdoor passwords for the BIOS for both Toshiba and Phoenix but they didn't work :(

Cheers in advance, looking forward to any suggestions you may have!

Nick

Are you sure you are the only one who had access to these systems? I know of no software that can setup a BIOS password without the users knowledge.

In any case, contact Toshiba and see if they can help you, or try KillCMOS.

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
The laptops where give to the school brand new as part of a new initiative for children who's parents cannot afford a laptop, but since getting them they have just been stuck in a store room over the summer holidays.

As I said, when I started sorting out the laptops today, they booted up without the need for a BIOS password, and I had also reset the system several times as well. Its really strange and I just can't get my head around it.

At the moment, I am trying to open up the laptop so I can do a hard CMOS reset and see if that works, but I am faced with a new problem...the casing refuses to budge! Toshiba have really built these things to be a royal pain in the a**! haha.

Cheers for your reply The_Prophecy, much appreciated.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.