SATA to SATA Drive Clone Help

Dell is replacing my WD120GB SATA hard drive on a newish (March 2004)
Dimension 8300 since the drive vibrates massively - to the point it shakes
the chassis/case. As much as possible, I want to avoid rebuilding the new
drive from scratch (too much stuff - many many personalized settings I
probably not duplicate). Ideally, I want an exact clone of my exiting drive.
But I have zero experience cloning drives. Dell tells me the replacement
drive will be unformatted.

Current drive has two partitions...the small Dell FAT32 utility partition.
The remainder is a large NTFS partition.

Current drive is connected in the 0 position. Is it as simple as connecting
the replacement in the 1 position, and using Norton Ghost or even Western
Digital Data Lifeguard to clone from the old to the new? Then moving the
new, cloned drive, into the 0 position? Will the drive be bootable?

Do I need to format the replacement drive first, or will the cloning
utility(ies) take care of this?

Any and all help appreciated.
17 answers Last reply
More about sata sata drive clone help

    That vibration, my friend, is a feature, not a problem. You use it for
    stirring coffee or mixing drinks. Just open the CD drive and put your mug or
    glass on that handy little holder...

    OK, seriously. Cloning from disk to disk with Norton Ghost is a cinch and
    takes only minutes -- if you know what you're doing. Symantec has extensive
    documentation on this procedure and, believe me, it works very well.
    However...this is not a procedure for the novice. If you are not really
    really sure about what to do, take advantage of your Dell warranty and have
    someone come to your place to do it for you. You really need to have this
    done right.

    I've had experience cloning with Ghost and with Data Lifeguard. This is only
    my opinion, but I think DLG stinks. Ghost is much faster and it also has
    this advantage over DLG: It actually works.

    Rocky

    "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Dell is replacing my WD120GB SATA hard drive on a newish (March 2004)
    > Dimension 8300 since the drive vibrates massively - to the point it shakes
    > the chassis/case. As much as possible, I want to avoid rebuilding the new
    > drive from scratch (too much stuff - many many personalized settings I
    > probably not duplicate). Ideally, I want an exact clone of my exiting
    drive.
    > But I have zero experience cloning drives. Dell tells me the replacement
    > drive will be unformatted.
    >
    > Current drive has two partitions...the small Dell FAT32 utility partition.
    > The remainder is a large NTFS partition.
    >
    > Current drive is connected in the 0 position. Is it as simple as
    connecting
    > the replacement in the 1 position, and using Norton Ghost or even Western
    > Digital Data Lifeguard to clone from the old to the new? Then moving the
    > new, cloned drive, into the 0 position? Will the drive be bootable?
    >
    > Do I need to format the replacement drive first, or will the cloning
    > utility(ies) take care of this?
    >
    > Any and all help appreciated.

    i have never had a dell tech willing to touch software. they install the
    disk and make sure it boots to a dos prompt... that's it. i prefer for
    dell to send me replacement drives so that i can perform a clone or
    extraction of data at my leisure. if a tech is on the way with the drive
    then you can ask him to leave the drive and you become responsible for
    returning the defective unit yourself...

    as for cloning... i have no interest in giving any money to symantec for
    something that can be done for free... data life guard or maxtor maxblast
    works just fine, perhaps slower, i can't say i have any recent experience
    with ghost to make that judgment, but speed is not important to me. i would
    visit western digital's or maxtor's web site (i prefer maxtors software
    product only because i have lots of experience with it, but the underlying
    product is essentially the same from all vendors except for being hardware
    locked, no drive from the manufacturer then the thing halts) get the utility
    that installs itself on bootable floppy disk.... open the case, unplug the
    cd drives from the secondary controller, connect the new drive to the
    secondary controller, boot the system with the utility disk, and prepare the
    second drive as the new boot drive... when the copying is complete power off
    the system, replace the primary drive with the new drive, and reconnect the
    cd drives... you should be fine.

    >i have never had a dell tech willing to touch software. they install the
    > disk and make sure it boots to a dos prompt... that's it. i prefer for
    > dell to send me replacement drives so that i can perform a clone or
    > extraction of data at my leisure. if a tech is on the way with the drive
    > then you can ask him to leave the drive and you become responsible for
    > returning the defective unit yourself...
    >
    > as for cloning... i have no interest in giving any money to symantec for
    > something that can be done for free... data life guard or maxtor maxblast
    > works just fine, perhaps slower, i can't say i have any recent experience
    > with ghost to make that judgment, but speed is not important to me. i
    > would
    > visit western digital's or maxtor's web site (i prefer maxtors software
    > product only because i have lots of experience with it, but the underlying
    > product is essentially the same from all vendors except for being hardware
    > locked, no drive from the manufacturer then the thing halts) get the
    > utility
    > that installs itself on bootable floppy disk.... open the case, unplug
    > the
    > cd drives from the secondary controller, connect the new drive to the
    > secondary controller, boot the system with the utility disk, and prepare
    > the
    > second drive as the new boot drive... when the copying is complete power
    > off
    > the system, replace the primary drive with the new drive, and reconnect
    > the
    > cd drives... you should be fine.

    <snip>

    Chris -

    Have you had success with either WD DL or Maxblast in making a bootable
    WinXP (NTFS) clone on a second drive? I've tried like all h3ll w/o any luck
    whatsoever.

    Both utilities have a very straightforward menu, so I don't believe I borked
    anything copying over.

    I ended up buying a small program that worked: (CompuApps Drive Wizard), as
    we have need for backup bootables here.

    Stew

    Stew,

    FWIW I've had nothing but grief from Data Lifeguard. It took almost 45
    minutes to clone my C: drive alone, and then the damn disk wouldn't even
    boot. Did the whole thing over with Ghost 2003, which cloned my entire disk
    in under 20 minutes and everything worked perfectly from the get go.

    Rocky

    "S.Lewis" <fearlessfreep@noyoujump.com> wrote in message

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >i have never had a dell tech willing to touch software. they install the
    > > disk and make sure it boots to a dos prompt... that's it. i prefer for
    > > dell to send me replacement drives so that i can perform a clone or
    > > extraction of data at my leisure. if a tech is on the way with the
    drive
    > > then you can ask him to leave the drive and you become responsible for
    > > returning the defective unit yourself...
    > >
    > > as for cloning... i have no interest in giving any money to symantec for
    > > something that can be done for free... data life guard or maxtor
    maxblast
    > > works just fine, perhaps slower, i can't say i have any recent
    experience
    > > with ghost to make that judgment, but speed is not important to me. i
    > > would
    > > visit western digital's or maxtor's web site (i prefer maxtors software
    > > product only because i have lots of experience with it, but the
    underlying
    > > product is essentially the same from all vendors except for being
    hardware
    > > locked, no drive from the manufacturer then the thing halts) get the
    > > utility
    > > that installs itself on bootable floppy disk.... open the case, unplug
    > > the
    > > cd drives from the secondary controller, connect the new drive to the
    > > secondary controller, boot the system with the utility disk, and prepare
    > > the
    > > second drive as the new boot drive... when the copying is complete power
    > > off
    > > the system, replace the primary drive with the new drive, and reconnect
    > > the
    > > cd drives... you should be fine.
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > Chris -
    >
    > Have you had success with either WD DL or Maxblast in making a bootable
    > WinXP (NTFS) clone on a second drive? I've tried like all h3ll w/o any
    luck
    > whatsoever.
    >
    > Both utilities have a very straightforward menu, so I don't believe I
    borked
    > anything copying over.
    >
    > I ended up buying a small program that worked: (CompuApps Drive Wizard),
    as
    > we have need for backup bootables here.
    >

    > Stew

    yes. in fact, that last 25 dells i got (dimensions 4600) i cloned using the
    downloaded maxblast 3 bootable floppy disk. i created the master image
    software build on one pc and then cloned that image to a second, then took
    those two and cloned to two more simultaneously... point being that i even
    cloned the clones without any problems. fwiw these were all 80gb maxtor
    drives. took all day, probably over 1 hour per machine to clone the 10gb
    image. i did have to manually change the machine name and join the domain
    for upon boot, but this was a huge time saver and less time than it what it
    would have taken to build just two machines from scratch...

    ps. i understand that there some may have comments or concerns regarding
    the legality of cloning with respect to software licenses, but i know i hold
    the correct number of licenses for the software applications installed.
    please let's not make this thread degenerate into a debate over licensing...
    start a new thread if that is important to you. but for those interested,
    no activation was required on the cloned systems in these identical
    configured machines.

    > yes. in fact, that last 25 dells i got (dimensions 4600) i cloned using
    > the
    > downloaded maxblast 3 bootable floppy disk. i created the master image
    > software build on one pc and then cloned that image to a second, then took
    > those two and cloned to two more simultaneously... point being that i
    > even
    > cloned the clones without any problems. fwiw these were all 80gb maxtor
    > drives. took all day, probably over 1 hour per machine to clone the 10gb
    > image. i did have to manually change the machine name and join the domain
    > for upon boot, but this was a huge time saver and less time than it what
    > it
    > would have taken to build just two machines from scratch...
    >
    > ps. i understand that there some may have comments or concerns regarding
    > the legality of cloning with respect to software licenses, but i know i
    > hold
    > the correct number of licenses for the software applications installed.
    > please let's not make this thread degenerate into a debate over
    > licensing...
    > start a new thread if that is important to you. but for those interested,
    > no activation was required on the cloned systems in these identical
    > configured machines.

    <snip>

    There apparently are subtle HW configuration differences in cloning
    software, and which will work with some systems.

    DriveWizard worked on my machine but didn't on a relative's. Same here with
    your using WD/Maxtor utils.

    I had used Maxblast successfully for years with Win2K and Win9X drives w/o
    incident.

    Stew

    i wrote a long reply that doesn't seem to have come through, but add these
    notes...
    the earlier version of maxblast certainly had problems with xp and ntfs.
    there were even maxblast cds shipped with retail drives well after xp was
    released that did not work giving them a bad reputation.... but if you
    download the current version from their web site you should not have any
    problems. i used the version called maxblast 3 that creates a bootable
    floppy. i like the floppy as i typically disconnect the cds from the
    secondary controller at the motherboard end to connect the drive that has
    the image i want to copy to that controller and not having to fuss with the
    cables on the back of the cd drives... having the drives on separate
    controllers halves the time it take to clone. hope this helps.

    >i wrote a long reply that doesn't seem to have come through, but add these
    > notes...
    > the earlier version of maxblast certainly had problems with xp and ntfs.
    > there were even maxblast cds shipped with retail drives well after xp was
    > released that did not work giving them a bad reputation.... but if you
    > download the current version from their web site you should not have any
    > problems. i used the version called maxblast 3 that creates a bootable
    > floppy. i like the floppy as i typically disconnect the cds from the
    > secondary controller at the motherboard end to connect the drive that has
    > the image i want to copy to that controller and not having to fuss with
    > the
    > cables on the back of the cd drives... having the drives on separate
    > controllers halves the time it take to clone. hope this helps.

    <snip>

    Sure. I appreciate the response for you and RayJay.

    My version of MaxBlast 3 is version 3.6.

    I'm not, however, copying identical drives. (My attempts were from a 40gb
    Maxtor to an 80gb Seagate).

    In any event, I'm just glad those utils. are stilling working for *someone*.

    Stew

    come to think of it, at that same location, i built an xp pro drive image on
    a 13gb wd drive in a dimension t-xxx series machine and cloned that image to
    various sized drives in the other txxx machines they had using the wd
    version of the utility. interestingly i have not encountered any
    problems... you make me fell like i am just lucky. the software does
    suggest that the windows based product is preferred after it identifies that
    windows is installed on the drive, but i thought that was about performance
    (speeed) rather than reliability. also worked for me on hp vectra vl600
    series with various makes/model drives (hp brands drive with their own name
    yet are more than just one actual manufacturer)...

    > come to think of it, at that same location, i built an xp pro drive image
    > on
    > a 13gb wd drive in a dimension t-xxx series machine and cloned that image
    > various sized drives in the other txxx machines they had using the wd
    > version of the utility. interestingly i have not encountered any
    > problems... you make me fell like i am just lucky. the software does
    > suggest that the windows based product is preferred after it identifies
    > that
    > windows is installed on the drive, but i thought that was about
    > performance
    > (speeed) rather than reliability. also worked for me on hp vectra vl600
    > series with various makes/model drives (hp brands drive with their own
    > name
    > yet are more than just one actual manufacturer)...

    Either lucky or good, your efforts have worked and mine haven't (suggesting
    I'm either unlucky or bad or both:).

    Hmm. My situation involved WinXP on a Dim4100, and on two homebuilts. In
    all cases, the image was cloned to a second (slave) drive in each of those
    machines, followed by a power down, unplug, and attempted reboot with the
    cloned drive connected as master with no other drives attached.

    Maybe I've just a different version of MaxBlast than you. It also appeared
    to me that WD DL and the latest MBlast are nearly the identical program with
    similar GUIs (run from desktop).

    The successes I had were pre-WinXP OS and using the older boot floppy
    versions of the utility.

    Conversely, the trial version of DriveWizard worked immediately on both of
    my machines, so I bought it.

    <shrug>

    Stew

    other than the hardware lock that prevents them from working if not a single
    drive from the manufacturer is present in the system, the maxtor/wd/etc
    software is the same. i think the software is made by microhouse if my
    memory serves me. i do know that the newer versions ask you what os you
    intend to install... and a clue to the age of the software is if it list
    windows xp in the list of choices or not. also, i always have the two
    drives on separate controllers, not that it should make a difference other
    than speed, but perhaps it does. i sometimes have the original image as the
    primary drive on the primary controller but sometimes as the primary drive
    on the secondary controller (in the case of the 25 machines i did not remove
    the primary drive from each as they are installed two cages deep, but rather
    put the master image as the primary drive on the secondary controller by
    simply plugging the cable into the mother board and temporarily removing the
    cds). there are choices to do an easy setup with an additional option to
    make the destination drive 'additional storage' (not bootable) or 'new
    primary boot device' (bootable), as well as a utility to fix drives that
    have booting problems... i think i had a boot problem once that i fixed by
    running the utility again and fixing the boot issue, but i have done so many
    that i can not clearly recall. hth.

    ps. i also did about five dimension lxxxcx series with all different drive
    sizes for someone when upgrading to xp... it would not have been economical
    time wise to install those from scratch, but with cloning it was worth
    spending the money on

> [...]

    > the chassis/case. As much as possible, I want to avoid rebuilding the new
    > drive from scratch (too much stuff - many many personalized settings I
    > probably not duplicate). Ideally, I want an exact clone of my exiting
    drive.
    > But I have zero experience cloning drives. Dell tells me the replacement
    > drive will be unformatted.
    >
    > Current drive has two partitions...the small Dell FAT32 utility partition.
    > The remainder is a large NTFS partition.
    >
    > Current drive is connected in the 0 position. Is it as simple as
    connecting
    > the replacement in the 1 position, and using Norton Ghost or even Western
    > Digital Data Lifeguard to clone from the old to the new? Then moving the
    > new, cloned drive, into the 0 position? Will the drive be bootable?
    >
    > Do I need to format the replacement drive first, or will the cloning

    --------------------

    Dell shipped a replacement - a Seagate Barracuda (out of WDs evidently). The
    Cuda is probably a better drive anyway. Couldn't get the new drive
    recognized in the #1 SATA position - clearing NVRAM a few times finally
    forced the drive to initialize. Ran Casper XP -
    http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/ - to clone the original drive (in
    the #0 SATA position) to the replacement drive. Took all of 16 minutes.
    Pulled out the original, cleared NVRAM again, plugged in the new in the
    primary SATA slot, and bingo - back up and running with a perfectly cloned
    identical of the original drive.

    if you care about your personal data left on the old drive... go to
    download.com and search for 'boot and nuke'... a simple little utility that
    will wipe your old drive... but it will take way more than 18 minutes to
    run...

    > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > Dell is replacing my WD120GB SATA hard drive on a newish (March 2004)
    > > Dimension 8300 since the drive vibrates massively - to the point it
    shakes
    > > the chassis/case. As much as possible, I want to avoid rebuilding the
    new
    > > drive from scratch (too much stuff - many many personalized settings I
    > > probably not duplicate). Ideally, I want an exact clone of my exiting
    > drive.
    > > But I have zero experience cloning drives. Dell tells me the replacement
    > > drive will be unformatted.
    > >
    > > Current drive has two partitions...the small Dell FAT32 utility
    partition.
    > > The remainder is a large NTFS partition.
    > >
    > > Current drive is connected in the 0 position. Is it as simple as
    > connecting
    > > the replacement in the 1 position, and using Norton Ghost or even
    Western
    > > Digital Data Lifeguard to clone from the old to the new? Then moving the
    > > new, cloned drive, into the 0 position? Will the drive be bootable?
    > >
    > > Do I need to format the replacement drive first, or will the cloning
    > > utility(ies) take care of this?
    > >
    > > Any and all help appreciated.
    > >

    > --------------------
    >
    > Dell shipped a replacement - a Seagate Barracuda (out of WDs evidently).
    The
    > Cuda is probably a better drive anyway. Couldn't get the new drive
    > recognized in the #1 SATA position - clearing NVRAM a few times finally
    > forced the drive to initialize. Ran Casper XP -
    > http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/ - to clone the original drive (in
    > the #0 SATA position) to the replacement drive. Took all of 16 minutes.
    > Pulled out the original, cleared NVRAM again, plugged in the new in the
    > primary SATA slot, and bingo - back up and running with a perfectly cloned
    > identical of the original drive.

    I have every intention of wiping the old drive before shipping it
    back...maybe I'll take a strong magnet to it ;-))

    Just want to wait a few days to make sure the new drive is really
    functioning properly.

    > if you care about your personal data left on the old drive... go to
    > download.com and search for 'boot and nuke'... a simple little utility
    that
    > will wipe your old drive... but it will take way more than 18 minutes to
    > run...
    >
    > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > > Dell is replacing my WD120GB SATA hard drive on a newish (March 2004)
    > > > Dimension 8300 since the drive vibrates massively - to the point it
    > shakes
    > > > the chassis/case. As much as possible, I want to avoid rebuilding the
    > new
    > > > drive from scratch (too much stuff - many many personalized settings I
    > > > probably not duplicate). Ideally, I want an exact clone of my exiting
    > > drive.
    > > > But I have zero experience cloning drives. Dell tells me the
    replacement
    > > > drive will be unformatted.
    > > >
    > > > Current drive has two partitions...the small Dell FAT32 utility
    > partition.
    > > > The remainder is a large NTFS partition.
    > > >
    > > > Current drive is connected in the 0 position. Is it as simple as
    > > connecting
    > > > the replacement in the 1 position, and using Norton Ghost or even
    > Western
    > > > Digital Data Lifeguard to clone from the old to the new? Then moving
    the
    > > > new, cloned drive, into the 0 position? Will the drive be bootable?
    > > >
    > > > Do I need to format the replacement drive first, or will the cloning
    > > > utility(ies) take care of this?
    > > >
    > > > Any and all help appreciated.
    > > >

    > > --------------------
    > >
    > > Dell shipped a replacement - a Seagate Barracuda (out of WDs evidently).
    > The
    > > Cuda is probably a better drive anyway. Couldn't get the new drive
    > > recognized in the #1 SATA position - clearing NVRAM a few times finally
    > > forced the drive to initialize. Ran Casper XP -
    > > http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/ - to clone the original drive
    (in
    > > the #0 SATA position) to the replacement drive. Took all of 16 minutes.
    > > Pulled out the original, cleared NVRAM again, plugged in the new in the
    > > primary SATA slot, and bingo - back up and running with a perfectly
    cloned
    > > identical of the original drive.

    Magnets don't do the trick -- not with today's hard drives. While a strong
    magnet will probably erase a diskette, the only magnets powerful enough to
    wipe data from a hard drive are laboratory-grade degaussers.

    I once had to return a hard disk to Dell under warranty. Dell probably gets
    dozens of drives a week, and I don't think they have the time or inclination
    to see what I have on there, so I just formatted the thing.

    But what if my hard drive fell into evil hands? Time to have some fun.
    Here's what I did:

    First, I soaked the drive in a pot of water. For 30 minutes. Next, I put it
    in the freezer. For an hour. Then I took it from the freezer and plunged it
    into boiling water. After it dried, it looked like I didn't do a thing to
    it, but I'll bet it doesn't work.

    > I have every intention of wiping the old drive before shipping it
    > back...maybe I'll take a strong magnet to it ;-))
    >
    > Just want to wait a few days to make sure the new drive is really
    > functioning properly.
    >

    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > if you care about your personal data left on the old drive... go to
    > > download.com and search for 'boot and nuke'... a simple little utility
    > that
    > > will wipe your old drive... but it will take way more than 18 minutes to
    > > run...
    > >
    > > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > shakes
    > > new
    > > > drive.
    > replacement

    > > partition.

    > > > connecting
    > > Western
    > the

    > > > --------------------
    > > >
    > > > Dell shipped a replacement - a Seagate Barracuda (out of WDs
    evidently).
    > > The
    > > > Cuda is probably a better drive anyway. Couldn't get the new drive
    > > > recognized in the #1 SATA position - clearing NVRAM a few times
    finally
    > > > forced the drive to initialize. Ran Casper XP -
    > > > http://www.fssdev.com/products/casperxp/ - to clone the original drive
    > (in
    > > > the #0 SATA position) to the replacement drive. Took all of 16
    minutes.
    > > > Pulled out the original, cleared NVRAM again, plugged in the new in
    the
    > > > primary SATA slot, and bingo - back up and running with a perfectly
    > cloned
    > > > identical of the original drive.

    LOL!

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > Magnets don't do the trick -- not with today's hard drives. While a strong
    > magnet will probably erase a diskette, the only magnets powerful enough to
    > wipe data from a hard drive are laboratory-grade degaussers.
    >
    > I once had to return a hard disk to Dell under warranty. Dell probably
    gets
    > dozens of drives a week, and I don't think they have the time or
    inclination
    > to see what I have on there, so I just formatted the thing.
    >
    > But what if my hard drive fell into evil hands? Time to have some fun.
    > Here's what I did:
    >
    > First, I soaked the drive in a pot of water. For 30 minutes. Next, I put
    it
    > in the freezer. For an hour. Then I took it from the freezer and plunged
    it
    > into boiling water. After it dried, it looked like I didn't do a thing to
    > it, but I'll bet it doesn't work.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > I have every intention of wiping the old drive before shipping it
    > > back...maybe I'll take a strong magnet to it ;-))
    > >
    > > Just want to wait a few days to make sure the new drive is really
    > > functioning properly.
    > >

    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > > if you care about your personal data left on the old drive... go to
    > > > download.com and search for 'boot and nuke'... a simple little utility
    > > that
    > > > will wipe your old drive... but it will take way more than 18 minutes
    > > > run...
    > > >
    > > > "lynnr" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > 2004)
    > > > shakes
    > the
    > > > new
    > exiting
    > > replacement

    > > > partition.

    > > > Western
    > > the

    > evidently).
    > > > The
    > finally
    > > (in
    > minutes.
    > the
    > > cloned

    perhaps you were just kidding, but that method wouldn't really help... it
    would certainly damage the electronics on the drive but would not have much
    of an impact of the platters where you data is stored. i have seen data
    recovered from drives that were in a fire. try the simpler approach of
    using a utility like boot and nuke...

Dell SATA Computers