Can I upgrade then move harddrive?

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Hard Drives
  • Motherboards
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
December 22, 2012 2:04:15 AM

Currently I have a computer with windows xp 32 bit installed. I am getting a new computer and I was wondering if I can upgrade to windows 7 64 bit on my current computer then move the hd to the new one. (The new computer doesnt have the same motherboard or cpu) Just want to know if I should do a clean whip now and upgrade or do a clean install when I get the new computer with the new mother board.
Thanks!

More about : upgrade move harddrive

a c 83 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
December 22, 2012 2:07:06 AM

The install will become invalid (and likely just outright wont work) when moving to the new rig because of the different hardware. Also if you get an OEM copy of Windows, you only can use that product key on one motherboard. So if you do it on your old system, you will need to buy a new key for it to be valid on the new system.
Do a clean install on the new rig.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2012 2:08:04 AM

If you install Windows 7 on the first computer then move the hard drive to a new computer with a different motherboard.... your gonna have to re-install. Now thats if your using a OEM copy of windows.

If you have a Full Retail version then you should have to re-install but I highly recommend re-installing anyways
m
l
!