I can open my email and use every application except "new
messages" When I click on this the timer comes up and
stays on and locks all other actions. I have tried running
the virus protection progran, shutting down and everything
else I can think of

This is not the appropriate place to post your question (at least I dont
think it is related to networking or MS broadband hardware - even IF that is
what you are using). You should try MS email news groups (like outlook or
outlook express)

However, you did not state what email client you are using... (that would
help a lot). My guess is that you might have your email client set to use MS
Word as your email editor and there are problems starting Word - try
unchecking that option.

HTH

"Dale Dougall" <dougall.d@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I can open my email and use every application except "new
> messages" When I click on this the timer comes up and
> stays on and locks all other actions. I have tried running
> the virus protection progran, shutting down and everything
> else I can think of

joker

If you are using norton anti-virus it is known to cause problems like
this in outlook. But this is way off topic & should be answered in a
newsgroup about whatever e-mail client you are using.