Performance

philla1231

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hi Guys, I was wondering if AMD had finally caught up with Intel and if so how does the AMD phenom ii quad-core n930 stand up against the i5 & i7 processors? I am looking to buy a new laptop to progress with my music production. Naturally I'm going need a powerful processor, any recommendations on ideal power and performance specs? Many thanks :)

Phil

It looks like the performance gap is even larger now.

U can check the Tom's review and see...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3960x-x79-sandy-bridge-e,3071-11.html

I am looking to buy a new laptop to progress with my music production. Naturally I'm going need a powerful processor, any recommendations on ideal power and performance specs? Many thanks :)

It depends on what is your budget and what screen size u need and storage ...

Any ideas on that?

as the parts get smaller the gap is widening. some fanboys will claim that amd have closed the gap with bulldozer but the reality is they are still a full generation behind intel even with the new architecture.
even if win7 gets a hot fix to use specific elements that arnt fully supported the gap is still to wide for amd to bridge with this generation of hardware...

amd have given up by the looks of it and confirmed as much when they immediately laid off 10% of its workforce when bulldozer arrived and failed to match the hype.
i think part of the problem is that the fx series are actually server parts but many amd fans dont get that... they think (by the looks of it) and tell any1 that will listen that amd have released i5 sandy killers, this just isnt true.
amd have admitted as much, but the fanboys live in there own little bubble and refuse to listen to reason...
phenom is amd'd gaming part, not the fx series...
currently intel need less than 4 cores to beat amds high end offering with 6/8 cores/modules.
so no m8 the gap is bigger than ever im sorry to say. because this will result in less competition as amd move out of the enthusiast parts/gaming grade parts in favour of liano
the end result is we the public loose out, as intel will no longer have to drop prices to compete with budget parts.