Thanks so much for your help. I looked thru a bunch of similar threads but am feeling overwhelmed by it all.
1. What is your budget? $500 total (ok $600 max) ($700 if you really convince me)
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? weight 5lbs or less, as full size keyboard as i can get, 15" or less screen, do NOT need 10 key pad, prefer track ball, will only use the touch pad in a pinch, will bring a mouse. Oh and no I don't need a web cam but do need wireless and wifi.
3. What screen resolution do you want? readable for 60 year old eyes wearing glasses
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? portable and replacement--to use in class, on vacation & while my husband plays wow on the desktop
5. How much battery life do you need? 8 hrs (ok 6) (5 if you convince me)
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? uh..freecell, sudoku, ok bedazzled. Is there an Arkanon for laptops?
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) I will watch movies/videos, no editing of any photo/video, do connect to keyboard to create sheet music with Finale notepad, use Band in a Box, Smart Music, Amazing Slowdowner to play music so I can practice to it, email, internet surfing, viewing pictures downloaded from camera to upload to live journal, take notes in class, study while riding the train to work, download audio books, download online class lectures from itunes, sync my 2 gig mp3 player, Microsoft Office with ACCESS.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 350 gig is way plenty, I haven't used up the current 50 gig but probably all the replacement software for Windows 7 will be twice as big, right?
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. whereever
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? Current is a still working 5.5 yr old Acer Aspire Turion 64. The only reason to abandon it is CD drive is unstable and it is WAY slow with some thing it does everytime I turn it on--the harddrive goes for about 10 minutes even when not connected to wireless network and updating TrendMicro. I would have someone look at it but it is my turn for a new machine and I want a lighter one.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? boring DVD-R (my current technology is fine if it were just working)
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I don't care one bit about how it looks, color, fingerprints, wide screen, but I am a farm girl on the go so durability is important. I would consider $300 net book but the keyboard is too small. I am a bookkeeper by trade so am used to pretty heavy duty data entry on an ergonomic keyboard so nothing dainty and no frills that are just that. I won't overclock or upgrade, just expect it to work within 2 minutes when I turn it on.
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. I want responsive, durable, practical, reliable. Priorities are: long term use, 5 lbs or under, long battery, decently fast. I have been reading CNET reviews for 2 weeks, aarrgghh, and anything in my price range that starts out sounding good the last line always says some other in the price range is better so I feel endlessly looped.
PS what security software would you recommend? Just the name is fine-thanks.
Yikes! Thanks again.