Sign in with
Your question

DVI vs. VGA

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 6, 2012 6:57:29 PM

I bought a Dell Inspiron 620-1942 tower a few months ago. It has onboard Intel HD 2000 graphics. No DVI port. I just bought a Viewsonic VX2250 monitor to enhance movies, tv, light gaming for son. What is the advantage of replacing my graphics, wich will also give me a DVI port? If I just get a VGA-DVI adaptor instead, will that alone improve the monitor? I guess I don't know how good my graphics is. Thnx.

More about : dvi vga

January 6, 2012 8:38:45 PM

I can't believe Dell is still selling entry level PCs with only a VGA connection :( 

For movies, TV, and light gaming there will not likely be any noticeable difference between a VGA or DVI connection. It will, however, get you away from the poor Intel graphics with so-so drivers.

Anyway, there is no adapter to convert VGA to DVI; those adapters only go the other way. If you want to upgrade to DVI and/or HDMI you will need to add a new graphics card.
m
l
January 8, 2012 4:31:27 PM

jgoodman03 said:
I bought a Dell Inspiron 620-1942 tower a few months ago. It has onboard Intel HD 2000 graphics. No DVI port. I just bought a Viewsonic VX2250 monitor to enhance movies, tv, light gaming for son. What is the advantage of replacing my graphics, wich will also give me a DVI port? If I just get a VGA-DVI adaptor instead, will that alone improve the monitor? I guess I don't know how good my graphics is. Thnx.

Even if you purchased an analog to digital converter like This one, your not going to improve your monitor. In order to get better graphics you would need to upgrade your GPU like the poster above mentioned. And when upgrading you will most likely get one that has a DVI or HDMI port (Both digital) and then would benefit from not only upgraded graphics but a pure digital signal.
m
l
!