Sign in with
Your question

Urgent; Need to get a new laptop tonight!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
September 15, 2010 3:01:41 AM

Hey,

So my old dell xps m1330 just died (apparently it overheated and fried because of a broken fan + gpu overheating from before etc).

I really need to get a replacement laptop nowish!

1. What is your budget?
ideally <$1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14" would be enough

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable, but I also have no desktop - so this laptop needs to be my life.

5. How much battery life do you need?
4 hours min

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I would like to play things like oblivion, UT, LOL, diablo2, left4dead, starcraft2 even, perhaps on medium settings - i figure that would be reasonable. I'm a casual gamer so i'm not about to play bleeding edge games on super high settings or anything.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
I use Ubuntu, so I would like to dual boot with win (as previously done). movies, lots of music oh and programming - I'm a CS grad student so that would be kindof important lol.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
min 320gb would be good

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
dell inspiron - i just had a look at that just because i wasn't sure where to start.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 years would be good.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd rw

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
had a dell - but i'm a bit worried after it's spectacular fail - although that was 2 years old.

13. What country do you live in?
usa

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I really need this to be as light as possible as i'm not a very big person and I tend to carry my laptop around alot in a slingbag.
Please hurry! I'm beginnig to freak out a little. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thank you :) 

More about : urgent laptop tonight

September 15, 2010 12:22:23 PM

$884 - Asus Laptop 15.6", i5 @2.4ghz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, nVidia 310m graphics

I trust the brand, it's got the specs you'd need, and even goes a bit above. Only thing else you could really find would be a larger screen or blu-ray capability.
!