Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

WinXP network slowness issues(one way only)

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
December 30, 2001 8:43:44 PM

I have two machines currently on my home network. With 6 more coming so I am trying to troubleshoot this quickly.
Here's the problem.Machine two can access machine one very quickly. It see's the shares and can dive right in. Machine one however takes forever to get in to machine two. It does get in, but only after about 30 seconds. Once
in, I can navigate fairly quickly. But if I go back out of the workgroup and back in, it takes the 30 secs again.
Both machines are configured the same. Machine one is runing Windows XP Pro and machine two is running Windows XP HE. Machine one was running Win2K and was having this problem. I thought it might have been a Win2K to XP issue. So I upgraded the 2K install to XP Pro(complete re-format install) The problem still exists.
Do any of you have any clues? I am using IPX as my protocal. This way my network is basically private and cannot be seen from the internet(at least not without really trying/hacking). I have TCP/IP unbound from file sharing as well to further secure it. IPX is the only protocal being used for file sharing. The machines are linked via a LinkSYS 10/100 HUB. I never had any issues in the past. Maybe the NIC in the newer 2nd computer is flaky?

More about : winxp network slowness issues

Anonymous
January 8, 2002 7:25:25 PM

I am having almost the exact same problem. Mine are going as far now that when I start copying files from one machine to the other, it gets about 10 seconds into the copy and stops responding. It did this in WIN98se, Win2000, and now WinXP.

Anyone have any views on this?
January 9, 2002 2:21:22 AM

Heres the fix

1. Open up regedit.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace.
3. Find a key named {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}.
4. Right click on it and delete it.
5. Restart

This is the fix for Mr Q. Dont know if it will help Toccata's problem. Yours is not the same problem at all. Maybe it will help you too though. Who knows. Doubt it though.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer
Related resources
Anonymous
January 9, 2002 3:39:34 AM

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it stashed away. I went about and booght a router and upgraded the Win2K machine to XP PRO. Although it was still doing it. The router has fixed everything now, of course.
Anonymous
January 9, 2002 3:39:34 AM

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep it stashed away. I went about and booght a router and upgraded the Win2K machine to XP PRO. Although it was still doing it. The router has fixed everything now, of course.
Anonymous
January 12, 2002 12:15:33 AM

Go to Microsoft website and download the Windows 2000 lastest patch, see if that helps. You have nothing to loose.