Office/Access

New 4300 with Office installed. Can open Excel and Word, but Access asks
what do I want to open with. Maybe I am trying to open the wrong file?
9 answers Last reply
More about office access

    What version of Office do you have? IIRC, only Office Pro has Access. SBE
    (Small Business Edition) and Standard don't. Also, do you have the correct
    version of Access?

    If it was me, I'd try opening Access by finding the application in your
    Programs list. Once you know that's running correctly, use the "File|Open"
    option to open up that particular file. You can also right click on the
    file, and see if you can "Open With..." Access.

    Clint

    "Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > New 4300 with Office installed. Can open Excel and Word, but Access asks
    > what do I want to open with. Maybe I am trying to open the wrong file?

    Did you order it with the full (premium) version of Office? The standard
    versions shipped do not include Access.

    On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:55:27 GMT, "Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:

    >New 4300 with Office installed. Can open Excel and Word, but Access asks
    >what do I want to open with. Maybe I am trying to open the wrong file?

    Obviously, you have the Professional version of Office because it is the
    only version that contains Access.

    To answer your question, it is normal for Access to open with the screen
    that you are describing. It is not asking what application you want to open
    but which Access database you want to open when you start the Access
    program. No, I don't understand why it does this because, unless you already
    have a database created from an earlier version of Access, you don't have a
    database to open. You can go ahead and close that dialog box and create a
    new database if you don't already have one created.

    Hope this helps.
    --
    <<<SgtRich>>>

    Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
    Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

    SgtRich <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote:

    >"Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >>New 4300 with Office installed. Can open Excel and Word, but Access asks
    >>what do I want to open with. Maybe I am trying to open the wrong file?
    >>
    >Obviously, you have the Professional version of Office because it is the
    >only version that contains Access.

    >To answer your question, it is normal for Access to open with the screen
    >that you are describing. It is not asking what application you want to open
    >but which Access database you want to open when you start the Access
    >program. No, I don't understand why it does this because, unless you already
    >have a database created from an earlier version of Access, you don't have a
    >database to open. You can go ahead and close that dialog box and create a
    >new database if you don't already have one created.

    As, presumably, a long time Access user, you may have forgotten
    that the default Access install includes several wizards and
    templates that are "databases" you can open. In my version
    [2002, SP3] Access opens with a menu box on the right side of the
    blank screen that includes several options one can select,
    including those exemplar templates for creating common office
    databases. Presumably, that menu is a configurable option that I
    set when setting up my home version when first installing it. It
    doesn't appear on the installations I use at work. I've never
    used it, but am too lazy to find out where to turn it off. ;->
    --
    OJ III

    It is the Pro version(at some expense) because I wanted, for one, Access to
    edit Works datadase files sent to me.
    I try to open to either start a new data base or transfer files to it. I
    get the open with option but I don't see Access on the list of programs.
    If I can't open I can't see the wizards if any.
    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > SgtRich <UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > >"Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >
    > >>New 4300 with Office installed. Can open Excel and Word, but Access asks
    > >>what do I want to open with. Maybe I am trying to open the wrong file?
    > >>
    > >Obviously, you have the Professional version of Office because it is the
    > >only version that contains Access.
    >
    > >To answer your question, it is normal for Access to open with the screen
    > >that you are describing. It is not asking what application you want to
    open
    > >but which Access database you want to open when you start the Access
    > >program. No, I don't understand why it does this because, unless you
    already
    > >have a database created from an earlier version of Access, you don't have
    > >database to open. You can go ahead and close that dialog box and create a
    > >new database if you don't already have one created.
    >
    > As, presumably, a long time Access user, you may have forgotten
    > that the default Access install includes several wizards and
    > templates that are "databases" you can open. In my version
    > [2002, SP3] Access opens with a menu box on the right side of the
    > blank screen that includes several options one can select,
    > including those exemplar templates for creating common office
    > databases. Presumably, that menu is a configurable option that I
    > set when setting up my home version when first installing it. It
    > doesn't appear on the installations I use at work. I've never
    > used it, but am too lazy to find out where to turn it off. ;->
    > --
    > OJ III
    > [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    > Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    "Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

    >It is the Pro version(at some expense) because I wanted, for one, Access to
    >edit Works datadase files sent to me.

    OK, now we're starting some where that may make sense. You have
    a Works database file you want to convert to an MS Access
    database file, so you can work on it, modify it, etc.

    > I try to open to either start a new data base or transfer files to it.

    How are you trying to open what? Are you double clicking on the
    Works.dbf [or whatever extension Works uses for its database
    files] file. Or are you opening Access, and then selecting File
    | Open and trying to open the Works.dbf file?

    >I get the open with option but I don't see Access on the list of programs.

    Are you talking about the "Open With" menu that Windows gives you
    when you double-click on a file trying to open it and there is no
    file association for the file type in your Windows settings? Or
    have you opened Access, are using the File | Open command,
    selecting the Works.dbf file, and then getting an Access "Open
    With" menu?

    I am working in the dark here because I have never used MS Works
    in any flavor. Further, I have never seen an MS Works *file* of
    any flavor [save, possibly, an MS Word *.doc file created by the
    MS Word included with the MS Works Suite]. The most common file
    types I have ever imported into Access are dBase, Excel, Lotus,
    Paradox, and the odd OBDC file.

    I have checked, and MS Works is not shown on the list of file
    types presented when you use the Access Import menu option.

    Maybe someone else can help you, working with the information you
    provided, but I'm still confused.

    What I can suggest you do, just as a "What the heck, lets try it
    and see if it works" kind of thing, is to open Access, then
    create a new database with just one field in it, labeled anything
    you want to label it with. This should free up your drop down
    menus so the File | Get External Data | Import ... command
    becomes available. Try selecting your Works.dbf file and see if
    it can be imported.
    --
    OJ III

    I appreciate your long answer. My question was too short. I am not yet at
    the point where I have tried to convert a Works file. I was hoping to get at
    that when ready from a HELP file. I was just trying to open the Access
    program. I was talking about the Windows "Open With" menu and there is no
    file association listed for that file type(pip). I have not yet got my ISP
    on that computer, so I could not immediately go to the web option.
    By trial and error, I did find where I could start a new database. Something
    like Asclib. Who knew?
    > "Clifton" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
    >
    > >It is the Pro version(at some expense) because I wanted, for one, Access
    > >edit Works datadase files sent to me.
    >
    > OK, now we're starting some where that may make sense. You have
    > a Works database file you want to convert to an MS Access
    > database file, so you can work on it, modify it, etc.
    >
    > > I try to open to either start a new data base or transfer files to it.
    >
    > How are you trying to open what? Are you double clicking on the
    > Works.dbf [or whatever extension Works uses for its database
    > files] file. Or are you opening Access, and then selecting File
    > | Open and trying to open the Works.dbf file?
    >
    > >I get the open with option but I don't see Access on the list of
    programs.

    > Are you talking about the "Open With" menu that Windows gives you
    > when you double-click on a file trying to open it and there is no
    > file association for the file type in your Windows settings? Or
    > have you opened Access, are using the File | Open command,
    > selecting the Works.dbf file, and then getting an Access "Open
    > With" menu?
    >
    > I am working in the dark here because I have never used MS Works
    > in any flavor. Further, I have never seen an MS Works *file* of
    > any flavor [save, possibly, an MS Word *.doc file created by the
    > MS Word included with the MS Works Suite]. The most common file
    > types I have ever imported into Access are dBase, Excel, Lotus,
    > Paradox, and the odd OBDC file.
    >
    > I have checked, and MS Works is not shown on the list of file
    > types presented when you use the Access Import menu option.
    >
    > Maybe someone else can help you, working with the information you
    > provided, but I'm still confused.
    >
    > What I can suggest you do, just as a "What the heck, lets try it
    > and see if it works" kind of thing, is to open Access, then
    > create a new database with just one field in it, labeled anything
    > you want to label it with. This should free up your drop down
    > menus so the File | Get External Data | Import ... command
    > becomes available. Try selecting your Works.dbf file and see if
    > it can be imported.
    > --
    > OJ III
    > [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    > Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    you've got a problem. Works databases are .wdb
    files and unless you can get someone else to open them
    in Works and resave as .dbf files you're SOL. You
    would be better off just having the Works Suite.
    See this MS KB item;
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197894

> [...]
    > >
    > > Maybe someone else can help you, working with the information
    you
    > > provided, but I'm still confused.
    > >
    > > What I can suggest you do, just as a "What the heck, lets try
    it
    > > and see if it works" kind of thing, is to open Access, then
    > > create a new database with just one field in it, labeled
    anything
    > > you want to label it with. This should free up your drop
    down
    > > menus so the File | Get External Data | Import ... command
    > > becomes available. Try selecting your Works.dbf file and see
    if
    > > it can be imported.
    > > --
    > > OJ III
    > > [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
    > > Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    I may be SOL without something I don't have. I was under the impression from
    a newsgroup (whoops?) that I could : a)With Access, receive an Access file,
    edit it and send back; but not without the Access program. and
    b)Could copy works database files into Access and convert to Access
    database files; but not the reverse.
    I see that HELP files are of no use help here. Are there Access or Office
    newsgroups?

Dell Excel Office Computers