MN-500 Intermittent Access

I have a very simple home network using the MN-500 as the
router, and I have my PC with XP SP2 wired to the base
station. As of right now I have no other PCs connected
to the network.

I have noticed in the past few days while browsing the
internet, it will randomly give me the generic "Page
Cannot be Displayed" message that IE gives you, normally
if you have no internet access. If you refresh the page
it displays it after a few attempts. It seems to happen
every 3-4 pages I go to.

So I decided take the MN-500 out of the chain, and my
internet works fine with no interruptions.

In the MN-500 log it is giving me this type of message:
2003/02/18 22:22:22 Connection attempt to base station
from WAN blocked - src: dst:

Is this a known issue with the MN-500 and SP2, and is
there a solution for it? I have the simplest of networks
and I let the broadband network utility set up the
network, and it has worked fine for over a month(minus
about 2 days now), with SP2 running.

Any ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about intermittent access

    What version of the firmware are you running? (It sounds like you are
    running at least version 1.09.*.)

    Since you are on a wired connection the BNU is not needed.

    The BNU is only needed to configure wireless connections on computers
    that are running versions of Windows prior to Windows XP.

    kruderand wrote:

    > I have a very simple home network using the MN-500 as the
    > router, and I have my PC with XP SP2 wired to the base
    > station. As of right now I have no other PCs connected
    > to the network.
    >
    > I have noticed in the past few days while browsing the
    > internet, it will randomly give me the generic "Page
    > Cannot be Displayed" message that IE gives you, normally
    > if you have no internet access. If you refresh the page
    > it displays it after a few attempts. It seems to happen
    > every 3-4 pages I go to.
    >
    > So I decided take the MN-500 out of the chain, and my
    > internet works fine with no interruptions.
    >
    > In the MN-500 log it is giving me this type of message:
    > 2003/02/18 22:22:22 Connection attempt to base station
    > from WAN blocked - src: dst:
    >
    > Is this a known issue with the MN-500 and SP2, and is
    > there a solution for it? I have the simplest of networks
    > and I let the broadband network utility set up the
    > network, and it has worked fine for over a month(minus
    > about 2 days now), with SP2 running.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I am running the latest version of the firmware. I
    replied to the thread of a person seeming to have the
    exact same problem I am having. You seemed to think that
    it could be a virus. I ran the virus scan utility you
    suggested, and there were no viruses detected.

    I ran the BNU so I could have wireless access in the
    future, I have a wireless bridge that I got working with
    the network but am not using right now.

    One thing I haven't tried yet is the MAC filtering that
    you suggested, is that something I should still try?

    Also the BNU is not needed on Windows XP as Windows XP has full wireless
    support. Please remove it.

    The BNU is only needed on wireless computers running the following
    versions of Windows, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000, & Windows
    ME. All other versions of Windows are either not supported or do not
    need the BNU.

    MAC filtering isn't known to cause intermittent problems.

    You might also want to check your client filtering settings.

    Did you also check for spyware with ad-aware & spybot search & destroy?

    kruderand wrote:
    > I am running the latest version of the firmware. I
    > replied to the thread of a person seeming to have the
    > exact same problem I am having. You seemed to think that
    > it could be a virus. I ran the virus scan utility you
    > suggested, and there were no viruses detected.
    >
    > I ran the BNU so I could have wireless access in the
    > future, I have a wireless bridge that I got working with
    > the network but am not using right now.
    >
    > One thing I haven't tried yet is the MAC filtering that
    > you suggested, is that something I should still try?

    Ok, I will completely remove the BNU.

    I don't have anything in the client filtering settings.
    I actually use both of those spyware, etc., programs that
    you mentioned quite frequently.

    I'll let you know what happens when I remove the BNU.

    -kruderand

Routers Networking