junior311

Distinguished
May 1, 2005
Hello,
I just built a P4 640 (3.2GHz) machine using the Intel D925XEBC2 motherboard. I also got a nice Antec TPII 380 Watt Powersupply, which is ATX12 Version 2.01 compliant. I'm also using the Heatsink that came with the P4 Boxed processor.

I'm recieving a Overheating error at start-up after the POST test.
The first time I booted up, things were looking okay... I got the Intel Screen, and was getting ready to start the Windows XP installation, but then it all the sudden shut down.

Since that initial start-up, now everytime I start the machine it does successfully load and detect the CPU, amount of RAM, Mouse, Keyboard, etc. But then I get a message on the bottom of that same screen that says ("The CPU was previously shut down due to a thermal event. (OverHeating) Service this machine right away to resolve this.") From what I can tell, all three fans (Power Supply, CPU, and rear Chassis) seem to be working fine. I feel like I installed the CPU heat sink properly, so I'm not sure why it would be overheating. Unless its a false error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again in advance for all your help.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by junior311 on 05/22/05 07:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

junior311

Distinguished
May 1, 2005
Yes I'm useing the stock hsf that came with my P4 640. I removed the plastic cover that was on one side of the CPU, as well as the protective plastic cover that was on one side of the LGA775 CPU socket. Is that the protective layer your talking about.. if not, you might have just solved the problem.

Here are the temps I managed to get:
Processor Zone = Starts out at 107 Degrees, the machine shuts down when it hits 109 Degrees... which happens in less then 2 seconds.
System Zone 1 = 36 Degrees
System Zone 2 = 38 Degrees

Thanks again,

i got a system based on an old Intel board with the Intel 845pe chipset and a P4 2.4b and it sometimes warns me of that - im guessing it might have hit a thermal limit? Or perhaps it throttled some time during use? Im still wondering why mine's been doing that.

junior311

Distinguished
May 1, 2005
Good News! I got it to work. I uninstalled it, checked the Thermal Compound (which seemed a little worn off from the first time I installed it, but still okay) and re-seated it with a firmer press. I also rotated it one half turn, so that the Intel logo on the top of the fan was facing the same direction as all the other logos and text on the motherboard.

My machine now runs... and is installing windows XP as I type this. I'm thinking rotating it may had something to do with it. Perhaps the square shaped thermal paste is more of a retangle shape, and didn't match up corectly until I rotated it 1/4 turn.

Thanks so much for your help guys. I'll probably still invest into a better HSF.

Thanks again,

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wussy, where have you been the last 3 years? Intel quit using plastic over the TIM about 3 years ago when they switched to the black stuff! I've warned you before about telling people to peel off the foil backing that holds the TIM in place!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
The LGA 775 socket uses a 4 hole push-pin type mounting mechanism. Basically it's in the shape of a square so you can rotate it however you want.

<A HREF="http://nfiniti.blogspot.com" target="_new">nfiniti plus one - my blog</A>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im not trying to be an A-hole by asking you this but have you ever tried to moun one of these heatsinks? The way you just described it confuses me and ive had alot of hands on experience with them. Dont get offended, im just curious.

Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> make that <font color=red>DDR2 855 VALIDATED!<font color=red>Owned!
TT 680W PSU