CPU fan removal question

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
This summer I may wind up buying a faster CPU for this motherboard (an AMD 64 3000+ in a LANParty 250 Gb). I have to remove the fan on the processor first because it covers the little lever that frees the processor for removal (sorry, can't remember the technical name for it).

This is a silly question, but with the thermal tape that came on the fan from the manufacturer, is the fan glued tight to the processor, or will it come off easily when the retention bar that holds the fan to the CPU is unlocked?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but the last time I replaced a processor only was during the days of no thermal paste/tape.

Thanks in advance.

Brandt

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
It should come off relatively easily - just to be safe, I would give a slight twist to the HSF as I lift it... (now I might be told that that's bad for the system, in which case I'll apologize :smile: )

Mike.

pat

Expert
Sell the CPU/MOBO assembly.. Best way to upgrade to the latest and best ..

But seriously, you have to twist it, gently to crack the thermal paste and have it removed..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
A little note, get rid of that thermal pad and get some real thermal paste such as Artic Silver when you upgrade. My stock heatsink and pad on my 2400+ was horrible. Temps would reach 52C under load. Replaced with a Thermtaltake Silent Boost and Artic Silver paste and now under load it only hits 44C. Sometimes it would even reboot when editing or rendering video. The A64's run a bit cooler, but if you want to overclock that 3000+ ditch the pad.

My System:
<A HREF="http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org" target="_new">http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure about AMD's TIM, but Intel's TIM is exceedingly good. AS itself can't do much better.

Now the stock HSF on the other hand is a completely different subject...

<pre><font color=green><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=green></pre><p>@ 188K -> 200,000 miles or bust!