jinshifu

Distinguished
May 16, 2005
First, my brother bought a new dell computer from the small business section. All the specs are better, but yet his new pc seems to be functioning slower than his old pc. Oh yea, his old dell from the home and office section of dell.

And a personal question. How much punishment can a mobo take? I think I mighta jolted it a bit when I was trying to line up the ports in the backpanel. Could that cause any severe drop in performance?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Do you mean shock-type punishment? As in dropping it on the ground?

A lot. If you did any harm, it likely wouldn't boot at all.

Jolting it? trying to line up panels? Do you mean static electricity type jolting?

I suppose it could have knocked something out of alignment, but in that case, see above.

Try resetting the CMOS? Maybe HT is on/off and that's causing it?

What are the system specs of the 2 PCs? Do they both have the same version of windows?

Mike.

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
What are the specs from the new Dell versus the old Dell? Maybe the new Dell has a slower CPU, less RAM, etc.

I would imagine a motherboard is one of the more shock resistant parts of a PC. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you actually flexed the board significantly.

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I think from the sounds of it he has just been a little harsh in putting the components together. But I can assure him on this point... mobos can take a lot of abuse while putting components in. There has been many a time when I thought I was going to break my mobos trying to "ram" my memory sticks into their perspective slots. Do not fear, I'm sure your mobo is fine... only one way to find out though... fire it up.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
only one way to find out though... fire it up.
With petrol or alcohol?

:eek:

:evil: <font color=red><b>Burn, baby! BURN!</b></font color=red> :evil:

<pre><font color=green><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=green></pre><p>@ 188K -> 200,000 miles or bust!