New bios needed?

Hi...

I have a 4600 purchased last November. The BIOS version is A6. I see that
there is a A10 on Dell's site.

It's important to say that (touch wood) I'm NOT having any hardware
problems.

Is there a compelling reason to download and install the newer version? Or
should I follow the philosophy of "If it ain't broke....don't fix it"?

TIA

--
David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    It won't hurt to do it, but probably not
    necessary unless you are planning to upgrade
    the processor. It mainly fixes assorted minor
    issues in addition to accommodating newer
    processors.

    "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi...
    >
    > I have a 4600 purchased last November. The BIOS version is A6.
    I see that
    > there is a A10 on Dell's site.
    >
    > It's important to say that (touch wood) I'm NOT having any
    hardware
    > problems.
    >
    > Is there a compelling reason to download and install the newer
    version? Or
    > should I follow the philosophy of "If it ain't broke....don't
    fix it"?

    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > David Nimon
    > dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    Here's what you'd get. You decide if you need any of theses
    fixes/enhancements.
    Personally I've never had a problem with a BIOS flash when I've followed the
    directions.
    YMMV.

    The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A06 to create A07:

    1. Fix handling of interrupts for PCI slot 1 in the preboot and DOS
    environments

    The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A07 to create A08:

    1. Added support for Pentium 4 and Celeron CPUs with larger caches and
    higher power requirements.
    2. Updated microcode for new CPUs.
    3. Prevent system lock-up when AC power is lost or button override is used
    during system resume.
    4. Allow full use of 1MB & 8MB on-board video memory to prevent issues with
    non-windows operating systems.

    (A08 to A09 but this is what it says)
    The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A04 to create A05:

    1. Add support for external system management tools to adjust asset tag.
    2. Prevent boot failure in F12 Boot Menu if "Hard-Disk Drive C:" is
    unchecked.
    3. Prevent problems on first customer boot with manually going into
    Utility Partition.

    The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A09 to create A10:

    1. Add support for faster processors and latest Celeron processors and
    update processor microcode to support latest CPUs.
    2. Added support for special keyboard.
    3. Enabled SMBIOS token for integrated NIC with RPL.
    4. Enabled use of the VESA 4F09h function to correct system splash video
    corruption with some AGP video cards.
    5. Added detection code for CPU/Cache failures.
    6. Added new manufacturing mode messages.

    "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi...
    >
    > I have a 4600 purchased last November. The BIOS version is A6. I see that
    > there is a A10 on Dell's site.
    >
    > It's important to say that (touch wood) I'm NOT having any hardware
    > problems.
    >
    > Is there a compelling reason to download and install the newer version? Or
    > should I follow the philosophy of "If it ain't broke....don't fix it"?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > David Nimon
    > dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    update it ............

    my question to the ones who are telling you no is ....Have anyone of you
    ever updated your bios or are you all afraid to try something.

    Dell make is easy to update.

    You dont need a bootable floppy like a regular motherboard with a flash
    program and the bin on it.

    "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi...
    >
    > I have a 4600 purchased last November. The BIOS version is A6. I see that
    > there is a A10 on Dell's site.
    >
    > It's important to say that (touch wood) I'm NOT having any hardware
    > problems.
    >
    > Is there a compelling reason to download and install the newer version? Or
    > should I follow the philosophy of "If it ain't broke....don't fix it"?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > David Nimon
    > dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi...

    <snip>

    > Is there a compelling reason to download and install the newer version?

    No.

    >Or should I follow the philosophy of "If it ain't broke....don't fix it"?

    Yes.

    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > David Nimon
    > dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    Stew

    "tony" <aarcuda@cox.net.spam> wrote in message
    > update it ............
    >
    > my question to the ones who are telling you no is ....Have anyone of you
    > ever updated your bios or are you all afraid to try something.
    >
    > Dell make is easy to update.
    >
    > You dont need a bootable floppy like a regular motherboard with a flash
    > program and the bin on it.

    And my answer to you is: only one or two.

    Thousand.

    Ever felt the sting of a dead motherboard after an apparently successful
    flash?

    I didn't think so.

    Stew

    Stay where you are at.
    Check the documentation of the BIOS to be sure there is no benefit for
    you..

    Very remote, but if something goes wrong during a BIOS flash, you can
    turn the motherboard into a paperweight.

    So "If it ain't broke....don't fix it" applies to a BIOS flash.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi...
    >
    > I have a 4600 purchased last November. The BIOS version is A6. I see
    that
    > there is a A10 on Dell's site.
    >
    > It's important to say that (touch wood) I'm NOT having any hardware
    > problems.
    >
    > Is there a compelling reason to download and install the newer
    version? Or
    > should I follow the philosophy of "If it ain't broke....don't fix
    it"?

    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > David Nimon
    > dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:mjkJc.19798$RD4.1410980@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > Hi...
    >
    > I have a 4600 purchased last November. The BIOS version is A6. I see that
    > there is a A10 on Dell's site.

    > Is there a compelling reason to download and install the newer version? Or
    > should I follow the philosophy of "If it ain't broke....don't fix it"?

    Research/consider the changes. In addition, research/consider
    the risk. Some systems (the well designed ones) support a BIOS
    recovery scheme which eliminates the risk of a failed BIOS update
    and/or corrupted image leaving you hanging. I don't know whether
    your system supports that. Perhaps the docs or someone here or
    someone in the Dell BIOS forums or Dell tech support could answer
    that for you.

    Tony;
    I have updated BIOS more times than I can count.
    While I have never lost a motherboard flashing the BIOS, but I know
    those who have.
    The chance is slight but very real.

    I am not afraid and I doubt the others are afraid.
    Your insinuation that we would be afraid coupled with your complete
    lack of reason why to update shows a lot of your ego to simply have
    the latest whatever the cost.

    Easy is good but not really relevant.
    If there is nothing to be gained, why flash the BIOS when there is a
    slight chance of losing the motherboard.

    Risk Management comes to mind.
    If you have nothing to gain and a lot to lose WHY?
    Taking risk without possibility of payback is ...
    Nice of you to gamble with someone else's computer.

    The Why you have omitted in your explanation is very relevant to your
    point.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "tony" <aarcuda@cox.net.spam> wrote in message
    > update it ............
    >
    > my question to the ones who are telling you no is ....Have anyone
    of you
    > ever updated your bios or are you all afraid to try something.
    >
    > Dell make is easy to update.
    >
    > You dont need a bootable floppy like a regular motherboard with a
    flash
    > program and the bin on it.
    >

    > "David Nimon" <dnimonREMOVE@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > Hi...
    > >
    > > I have a 4600 purchased last November. The BIOS version is A6. I
    see that
    > > there is a A10 on Dell's site.
    > >
    > > It's important to say that (touch wood) I'm NOT having any
    hardware
    > > problems.
    > >
    > > Is there a compelling reason to download and install the newer
    version? Or
    > > should I follow the philosophy of "If it ain't broke....don't fix
    it"?

    > > TIA
    > >
    > > --
    > > David Nimon
    > > dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca

    Hello,

    We would recommend updating the BIOS.

    Be sure that you do not loose power while updating the BIOS, and you should
    not have any problems.

    We regularly update the BIOS on all Dell systems that we support without any
    problems (2400, 4500, 4550, 4600, 8200, 8300)

    Best of luck

    --
    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
    Technical Support Team

    Check out some of the items we are offering
    Dell Docking Stations starting at $5.00
    Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
    Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

    Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

    "JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION" <info@jlaenterprises.com> wrote
    in message news:ovvJc.153852$2o2.8438299@twister.southeast.rr.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > We would recommend updating the BIOS.
    >
    > Be sure that you do not loose power while updating the BIOS, and you
    > should
    > not have any problems.
    >
    > We regularly update the BIOS on all Dell systems that we support without
    > any
    > problems (2400, 4500, 4550, 4600, 8200, 8300)
    >
    > Best of luck
    >

    > --
    > JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
    > Technical Support Team
    >
    > Check out some of the items we are offering
    > Dell Docking Stations starting at $5.00
    > Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
    > Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00
    >
    > Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

    Cool!

    How much do you charge to replace a Dell 4600 motherboard if I need one?

    Seriously.

    Stew

    Thanks to all who took the time to express an opinion on this topic.

    I appreciate and will consider all comments--both pro and con.

    --
    David Nimon
    dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
    "S.Lewis" <fearlessfreep@noyoujump.com> wrote in message