Sign in with
Your question

P4 Prescott 520 overheating

Last response: in CPUs
May 27, 2005 8:53:28 PM

I put together a new machine a few weeks back and upon booting for the second time, prior to installing Windows, the system alarm went off signaling my CPU was overheating. I checked the thermal paste that was on the heatsink and apparently it was spread a bit too thin. The CPU is an OEM part therefore I had to buy a 3rd party fan, which was a CoolerMaster. I bought some thermal grease, put a BB sized bit on the top of the CPU and installed the heatsink. Issue solved. Went from 190F to 120-135F. Now, about 3 weeks later, the issue has come up again. I pulled the heatsink off this morning before work and noticed that much of the grease had dissipated once again. I applied more, this time 2 BB sized bits to the bottom of the heatsink itself and one BB sized bit to the CPU directly. As I was installing the heatsink/fan unit 2 of the 4 pins would not snap into place. I looked and those 2 pins had broken...somehow. So now I'm thinking this happened a few weeks ago, and the extreme heat and the lack of solid contact with the heatsink caused the overheating to creep up on me.

Today I bought a new heatsink/fan unit, a ThermalTake with a larger copper base, screw in pins (to avoid more breaks), 4 heat pipes, and a larger heatsink and fan unit spinning at 2400RPM's. Sadly I have to go out of town until next Wednesday and I won't be able to test this to see if it's the problem until then. This is going to bother me all week, so if ANYONE has experienced any kind of heating issues with their LGA775 Prescott P4's please share with me, let me know if you found a solution and any additional suggestions are of course welcome. Here are some system specs:

P4 520 Prescott Socket LGA775 3.0Ghz
Abit AS8-3rd Eye MOBO
2x512 Mushkin GreenLine Dual Channel DDR PC3200 RAM
2x80GB WD Caviar SATA HDD's in RAID 0 array
Radeon 9600 256MB DDR (I think) vid card

When it's not burning, this thing runs smooth as butta! Thanks in advance for any help!
May 27, 2005 11:04:32 PM

You never had the heatsink fastened properly. First, you either dont have the thermal compound spread over the entire surface or there is enough. You cant get it to thin, or at least not like your thinking. Thermal compound is going to end up be a very thin layer that fills in the uneven places between the heatsink and the back of the CPU. The reason that your temps slowly creeped up would most likely be becasue the weather has been heating up over the last week. The heatsink wasnt attached properly. From now on, please list your temps in C not F.

Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> make that <font color=red>DDR2 855 VALIDATED!<font color=red>Owned!
TT 680W PSU
May 28, 2005 2:46:05 PM

That's what I'm thinking as well. I'm optimistic about it, I mean the CPU still works so it's not hosed or anything. And about the temps, I couldn't get into my BIOS to see the temp readings in C as well as F, I just remember what it was in the past. If you're not sure, 190F is extremely hot....summers here in Florida peak around 105 at the very most, so imagine the hottest day in the southern US plus about 90F. Hot stuff. =) Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what happens when I get back from vacation.
Related resources
May 29, 2005 5:40:51 AM

Im in Mississippi, i feel your pain. Hey, we almost neighbors. It would really surprise me if you had damaged anything. The reason that I told you to list the temps in C is because that is what the online community excepts as the standard. Where were you getting the readings? Some montiorung software is not accurate. List your complete system specs so I can check your equipment out.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> make that <font color=red>DDR2 855 VALIDATED!<font color=red>Owned!
TT 680W PSU
May 30, 2005 7:01:11 PM

Ya you're not that far away actually. =) Not sure what furthersystem specs you need, I won't have access to them until Wednesday night when I get back from vacation. The readings game directly from BIOS. I couldn't get back in there to see the readings because the system would shut down about 3-4 seconds after I hit the power button. =(
June 2, 2005 12:26:20 PM

Ok got back from vacation and things appear to be in order. I connected the new heatsink unit (which is an incredible pain btw) and I've lowered the temp to around 40-44C which is MUCH lower than what it was running before. Now to make sure she stays this cool.... =)
June 2, 2005 12:29:07 PM

Are those your idle temps or load temps?

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> DDR2 855 using 3.73EE<font color=red>
TT 680W PSU
June 2, 2005 5:11:01 PM

Those are idle temps. I don't have a way to get load temps yet as I haven't installed the "3rd eye" of my uGuru utility. Once I do I'll have a better idea how hot it's actually getting.
June 2, 2005 10:57:35 PM

Hello Fellow P4 users,

Yea, over heating is an issue, when I first got my system together I thought I had planned it all out to make a good overclocker, with ample cooling but not so. The biggest problem is the OEM CPU cooler, it blows big time. I held out till just this past week to get a new one, I limp along with system shutdowns due to over heating for serveral months. I just bought the new Gigabyte 3D Rocket Cooler, and it maybe a bit noisey but on the bright side kept my CPU from overheating, I still have to add the rpm controler so I can tweek it and slow it down when not under heavy load but I can also tune it up to beyong 4K rpm (default is 3.8K rpm at the moment) for overclocking or high loads.

I have the 550 on an Asus P5AD2 Premium. So those of you with the Asus Mobo, where are the setting for overclocking? Is there a guide for it or just mess with it like I have been? I'm talking about the BIOS settings, there's a ton but no set layout for overclocking, does anyone use the Asus app for it? Just wondering...
June 4, 2005 4:18:17 PM

Is it the E-premium? Ive got a 550 and the E-Premium.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> DDR2 855 using 3.73EE<font color=red>
TT 680W PSU
!