SpaceDonkey

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004
I might have done something stupid. My friend was over here, and we where discussing my new machine, and he claimed it only had a single core. I said it had two cores, and we made a bet.

To prove my point, I opened the case of my XPS Gen 5, tore it apart, removed the heatsink. Then I had to remove that aluminium protection plate that covers the cpu.. man, that was hard. Spent on hour doing just that, and slightly bent it in the processs. And then.. WTF, there is only one core on there ! Have I been suckered ? Windows sees 4 cpu's, so whats up with that ?? I'm pretty sure I saw pics of intel dual core with two cores, but mine only has one! Is Dell screwing its customers ?

Sure enough I lost my bet.

Then, I rebuild everything, I straighten the cpu cover, glue it with strong epoxy, mount the cpu, heatsink etc. Turn on the PC to see if all is ok, and after a second or two I hear a sizzle and then a loud *POP* POUF, PC dies instantly. WTF ?? Something smells burnt, my friend says I fried the cpu. How can that be ? These things have thermal protection no ? I call Dell, but they say I voided warranty by removing the cpu cover. It doesn't say 'warranty void if removed' anywhere though, but whatever.

So I'm off to the shop to buy a new cpu. THey have no dual cores :( So I pick up an Intel Pentium 4 3.73 GHz Extreme Edition with only one core. Not so extreme, but dual core was unavailable for another month and I can't wait that long. I come home, install the cpu, put on the heatsink and stuff, turn it on, this time fans spin and I hear a beep, but no image. I realize I forgot to put the videocard in doh!. So I insert the videocard, and as I do I see blue sparks and hear another loud *BANG*, PC dies instantly again. NOW WTF ! okay, I didn't turn off the PC, but this is plug and play, right ? Damn piece of crap, its completely dead again. DO I need a new videocard now or what ?

---------------------------------------------------
I am severly limited in what my mind can perceive.

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
ROFL LOL LMAO HAHAHA ROFL LOL OMFG ROFL hahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you ever think about reading the numbers on the aluminum heat spreader of the CPU? That would have told you what CPU you had.

Also, plug and play means it will be automatically be recognized by Windows, it doesnt mean it is "hot-swappable".

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jaimegmr on 05/28/05 01:43 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
This has got to be BULL SHITT! After the last post this clown made theres got to be an angle here that im not seeing. This is to forked up to be true.

Intel P4 550(3.4)@<font color=green>5Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@<font color=red>DDR2 800<font color=red> make that <font color=red>DDR2 855 VALIDATED!<font color=red>Owned!
TT 680W PSU

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Looks like trolling. Smells like trolling...

<font color=blue>Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.</font color=blue>

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
This is some hillarious sh|t ...

<b>"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."</b> <b>Hunter S. Thompson, <b><i> Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas</i>, 1965.</b>

OMG! I haven't laughed this hard in a long time!

I can actually say I know a person who ACTUALLY tried a stunt like was mentioned here, albeit he managed to fry the mobo before frying the cpu, gpu, or soundcard by hot-swapping...

<font color=blue> Did you know that 89.72% of all quoted statistics are false? </font color=blue>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Reminds me of something I wrote once. It's funny but I know you are pulling legs here. No "Journeyman" would do that much less own a dual-core Dell. :lol:

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
Anyone who buys a Dell isn't going to be opening up the case...total BS.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

lonelypauly

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
haha! So he should pull the die off and inspect it closer eh?

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>

RichPLS

Champion
Makes perfect sense, don't trust AMD or Intel, thoroughly remove backing from all your processors and inspect, never know what kind of shenanigans they are pulling on the average users. Also, be sure to count the megahertz, they usually leave a few percent off, but are programed to read a bit high in the BIOS.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
LOL! Wow, thats funny. Umm, next time use WCPUID or CPU-Z. Wow, I can't believe you would open up a computer ( a Dell no less) and tear the CPU apart. I would think using a program is a lot easier myself. Anyways, Dell is gone screw you over on that one. Opening a case is a no, no. I personally have a Dell (was given to me for free) and have it setup running on my KVM switch as my web & FTP server along with running F@H. Thats all its good for.

My System:
<A HREF="http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org" target="_new">http://amdgamingrig.dyndns.org</A>

endyen

Splendid
Your switching psu may have saved your bacon. It is posible that you only injured the graphics interface. Since your dell warranty is now history, I suggest you take the rig to the place where you bought the new chip.
Good luck, and thanks for the laughs.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Hey man i bet you a 100 bucks your Benzo u mentioned in your other post can run without oil. [toungue]

The know-most-of-it-all formally known as BOBSHACK

RichPLS

Champion
Your on!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Oh yah, it'll run without oil... <font color=white>until it seizes up and throws a rod or some such thing.</font color=white>

:wink:

<i>"Intel's ICH6R SouthBridge, now featuring RAID -1"

"RAID-minus-one?"

"Yeah. You have two hard drives, neither of which can actually boot."</i>