littleberry

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
Do I have a Prescott? I got Fry's special a few months ago which was a P4 w/motherboard. The Pentium is 533 FSB, 512 kb l2 cache, socket 478, running out of the box at 2.53 ghz. The bundled motherboard is the ECS l4vxa2. It works fine and I have no complaints - doenn't get hot. Today Fry's has a sale for the athon 64 3200+ with mboard (they don't say what kind - it has audio onboard and SATA) for $189. That sure seems like a good price - my question is this: will it improve on my ability to rotate and manipulte 3d objects, using the free 3dbrowser, and using both ac3d and max6 to generate new 3d objects? The reason I ask is that I also have an older 1 ghz P3 to which I compared my new 2.53 P4 with, and I can definitely see an improvement as the 3d objects I load get more triangles. The old 1 ghz will not keep up when there are several thousand triangles (it jumps as I move the mouse in rotate or pan mode). But the 2.53 ghz P$ keeps up until I load 3d objects that are even more thousands of triangles - then it starts to jump somewhat. Will the 64 3200+ perform noticebly better? Or is it more the video card than the cpu? Both video cards are normal 128 mg type standard cards (sub $100 price range). I see that this ability to keep up (both in smooth and wireframe mode) when rotating, panning, and zooming a 3d object is of key value when one wants to demonstrate a complicated 3d object - so, a better perfoming setup is worth looking into. I am running both win98se and win2000 (for max6). Thanks, littleberry

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
It's probably more the video card than the CPU.
I have an Nvidia Quadro NVS 280 PCI card, and I use it for 2D work but other guys here use it for 3D stuff, they use unigraphics and Pro e. These cards perform well for that kind of job but I doubt that they are cheap.

Nothing is as easy as it looks

endyen

Splendid
Going to the A64 would be almost as good an upgrade as going from the P3 to the P4, but spending the same money on a graphics card would be better. You may be able to get a 6600 pro card for about the same. Check in the graphics forum for recommendations.

littleberry

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
I am very tempted to get that athlon (sale ends tomorrow)and I appreciate the replies. By the way, how can I tell what kind of P4 I currently have (2.53 ghz is not in the cpu list - 1st thread).
Since it doesn't get hot at all, I am thinking it is not a prescott - is there a way to tell?