Dell 17" & 19" UltraSharp LCDs..Which do you recommend?

Hi, I'm just looking at the new Dimension 8400 & 4700 models & I would
like to add either a 17" or 19" Dell UltraSharp LCD to my upcoming
system purchase.

I'm not into gaming, mainly I work with digital photography. I thought
I would like to use the portrait mode available on either of these 2
LCD models. Which one would you recommend? Do any of you use your LCD
pivoted into the portrait mode?

Cheers,
Apollonia
5 answers Last reply
More about dell ultrasharp lcds which recommend

    On 15 Jul 2004 18:27:16 -0700, apollonia_ooo@yahoo.com (apollonia)
    wrote:

    >Hi, I'm just looking at the new Dimension 8400 & 4700 models & I would
    >like to add either a 17" or 19" Dell UltraSharp LCD to my upcoming
    >system purchase.
    >
    >I'm not into gaming, mainly I work with digital photography. I thought
    >I would like to use the portrait mode available on either of these 2
    >LCD models. Which one would you recommend? Do any of you use your LCD
    >pivoted into the portrait mode?

    I use a pair of the 19s, both in portrait mode. Great for text
    layouts.

    Kal

    "apollonia" <apollonia_ooo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4475befa.0407151727.32b005db@posting.google.com...
    > Hi, I'm just looking at the new Dimension 8400 & 4700 models & I would
    > like to add either a 17" or 19" Dell UltraSharp LCD to my upcoming
    > system purchase.
    >
    > I'm not into gaming, mainly I work with digital photography. I thought
    > I would like to use the portrait mode available on either of these 2
    > LCD models. Which one would you recommend? Do any of you use
    > your LCD pivoted into the portrait mode?

    I don't have the specs handy for comparison, and I've never actually
    seen those two LCDs side by side. WRT which is better, I can only
    point out that it would be nice to have the larger display, particularly
    if you leave it in portrait mode.

    If you haven't used an LCD display before, I'd recommend that you
    familiarize yourself with the pros and cons of CRTs and LCDs. Here
    is one link, there are plenty of other pages on the subject.

    http://www.displaymate.com/crtlcd.html

    It is widely reported that LCDs are worse at color reproduction (can't
    vouch for that) and LCD dead pixels are common (can vouch for that).
    Factor such things into your decision as you see fit.

    I believe that in some states there are Dell stores or offices where you
    can get a look at the goods. You might want to investigate that and/or
    ask around and try to have a look at color calibrated examples of the
    displays you are interested in.

    Happy shopping.

    Generally speaking the picture quality is only going to be as good as your
    graphics card . I have two LCD's
    and no dead pixles.

    "Ted" <nothanks@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > "apollonia" <apollonia_ooo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I'm just looking at the new Dimension 8400 & 4700 models & I would
    > > like to add either a 17" or 19" Dell UltraSharp LCD to my upcoming
    > > system purchase.
    > >
    > > I'm not into gaming, mainly I work with digital photography. I thought
    > > I would like to use the portrait mode available on either of these 2
    > > LCD models. Which one would you recommend? Do any of you use
    > > your LCD pivoted into the portrait mode?
    >
    > I don't have the specs handy for comparison, and I've never actually
    > seen those two LCDs side by side. WRT which is better, I can only
    > point out that it would be nice to have the larger display, particularly
    > if you leave it in portrait mode.
    >
    > If you haven't used an LCD display before, I'd recommend that you
    > familiarize yourself with the pros and cons of CRTs and LCDs. Here
    > is one link, there are plenty of other pages on the subject.
    >
    > http://www.displaymate.com/crtlcd.html
    >
    > It is widely reported that LCDs are worse at color reproduction (can't
    > vouch for that) and LCD dead pixels are common (can vouch for that).
    > Factor such things into your decision as you see fit.
    >
    > I believe that in some states there are Dell stores or offices where you
    > can get a look at the goods. You might want to investigate that and/or
    > ask around and try to have a look at color calibrated examples of the
    > displays you are interested in.
    >
    > Happy shopping.

    I have had the 19" ultra sharp for almost a year now and love it! It
    displays my photos beautifully. I like the extra real-state over the 17". I
    have never rotated it in portrait mode though.

    "Larry" <me@myhome.xyz
    > wrote in message news:<Xc3Kc.129$ci.53@lakeread04>...
    > I have had the 19" ultra sharp for almost a year now and love it! It
    > displays my photos beautifully. I like the extra real-state over the 17". I
    > have never rotated it in portrait mode though.
    > > > "apollonia" <apollonia_ooo@yahoo.com
    > wrote in message
    > > Hi, I'm just looking at the new Dimension 8400 & 4700 models & I would
    > > like to add either a 17" or 19" Dell UltraSharp LCD to my upcoming
    > > system purchase.
    > >
    > > I'm not into gaming, mainly I work with digital photography. I thought
    > > I would like to use the portrait mode available on either of these 2
    > > LCD models. Which one would you recommend? Do any of you use your LCD
    > > pivoted into the portrait mode?
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > > Apollonia//

    //
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. My experience was with a 15" LCD
    which I enjoyed. The total system cost will be the deciding factor,
    since the 19" LCD price is quite a bit higher, depending on what offer
    DellSB has going at the moment.

    The Dimension 8400 & 4700 have a new graphics card, the $60 upgrade
    lower end SE version with DVi is probably what I'll select.

    I did however find the info shown below on Dell's warranty info site.
    It seems Dell would fall back on saying you bought your system with 1
    or 2 years warranty coverage__tough luck your LCD went out during year
    3. I'd hate to test this situation. Any comments on this?

    ----------------------
    How long does this limited warranty last? This limited warranty lasts
    for the time period indicated on your packing slip or invoice, except
    for the following Dell-branded hardware:

    Monitors carry the longer of either a 3-year limited warranty or the
    remainder of the warranty for the Dell computer to which the monitor
    will be connected.

    Oh well...I just want to fall right into the larger LCD screen &
    forget my worries..LOL

    Cheers!
    Apollonia

Dell Photo Ultrasharp Computers