Your question
Solved

Problem: Windows 7 HP 64-bit activation

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Hewlett Packard
Last response: in Windows 7
April 25, 2010 3:47:57 AM

I recently built my first computer (with lots of help from these forums) and everything is working great. The only problem I've run into is that, for some reason, Windows 7 does not seem to want to activate. I bought an OEM version to save a bit of cash and since it was a brand new PC. Windows first asked me to activate it during install, and I chose to do it later since the internet wasn't up and running at the time, and now it won't seem to recognize my product key.

I own a legit copy through NewEgg. I'm a little peeved because the 30 day limit is approaching, and I don't want to get stuck with reduced use.

Any suggestions? I've yet to contact Microsoft, since it's an OEM version I don't know if they will offer help.

Thanks guys.

More about : problem windows bit activation

Best solution

April 25, 2010 4:02:06 AM

I'm guessing that you simply mistyped your key. The one thing I always seem to have an issue with is the B and 8 - the font they use makes it difficult to tell them apart. Double check your key and verify that you have it correct. If it's saying it's not valid, I guarantee that you probably just keyed it wrong. If that doesn't work, you can always try to activate over the phone. I've never had a key not work (and I've built probably 400 PCs over the past 10 years) but in the instances where I've reused an OEM key and it said it couldn't activate it, it ALWAYS activates over the phone with no problem.
April 25, 2010 4:12:47 AM

Ha, well, I didn't type it in wrong. I probably tried it 10 times...and no B's or 8's in the code, either.

I did, however, at your suggestion, call the automated line. It appears to have worked. So thanks :) 

Big relief for me...
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2010 4:13:46 AM

Best answer selected by Hunter_.
m
l
April 25, 2010 5:48:27 AM

Cool. Happy to help.
m
l