About Overclocking Barton...

powertron

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I've bought a Barton 2500+ about less than one year ago, at first I overclocked it to FSB200=>3200+ successful. Booting, gaming, 3Dmarking and I find no problems. But recently, if I tune the FSB to 200Mhz, my computer will temporary shut down or crash itself= =" and I take out the CPU and found that there are cracks on the Die. Does that mean it's time to change another CPU? :p

AMD Barton 2500+ oc 3200+ (now 2.0Ghz)
Kingston ValueRam 400Mhz 256MB*2
Gigabye Fx5700LE 128MB DVI
HITACHI 120GB 7200RPM 8MB

Overclocking Section.

Anyway, could you list a few more details, such as VCore, PSU, Voltage Rails etc.

If you have cracks on your die, it doesn't mean the CPU is
damaged, I've chipped a core before and it has worked fine.

hermitd

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2005
I used to have a 2500 barton which i kept overclocked for a while. I would say that i have encountered a number of problems with stability as
a. i was using a shuttle and there's not much of heatsink changes you can do (i could have but couldnt be @ss'd)
b. the bios didn't allow for vcore changes.

Either way the most stable fsb was about 194. 200 just made it plainly unstable.
As for cracks i might get a bit worried depends upon what sort of themal paste you are using.

Also keep an eye on the cpu temprature. download something like motherboard monitor search the net for mbm 5 and something like cpu idle.

have fun

Regards,

Hermit Dave

powertron

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2004
I'm running on regular Voltage. I did have a crack "on the edge" of the CPU since I bought it. I asked the seller if it will work normally. and his reply was "sure". so does this mean I've been cheated?

endyen

Splendid
xp chips have a shelac type coating to insulate the cctry. It is normal to see some cracking from heat. Avoid using Artic silver, as a conductive TIM may cause shorting. Your problem is probably due to a weakening of the spring holddowns. It may also be from a slowdown in fan speed, for various reasons, or dust in the fins of the heat sink.
A new hsf may be in order.