File Browsing On Palm and Palm Book Reader

January 8, 2005 6:30:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi, i'm a recent convert from the ppc (Tungsten T3) and besides a few
niggles like you cant flip through a number of open applications, i
seriously miss the ability to browse files like i used to be able to via
activesysnc. This was great for dragging and dropping files and deleting
stuff i didnt want. Is there any way to do this using Hotsync?

Another thing i seem to have some trouble with is the palm book reader. I've
got quite a few Ebooks i'd like to put on it, however, the display only
seems to want to list about 20 or so (when you do an 'open'). Is there a
limit on the number of titles that can be dispalyed?

TIA
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:18:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"opto" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in

> Hi, i'm a recent convert from the ppc (Tungsten T3) and besides a few
> niggles like you cant flip through a number of open applications, i
> seriously miss the ability to browse files like i used to be able to
> via activesysnc. This was great for dragging and dropping files and
> deleting stuff i didnt want. Is there any way to do this using
> Hotsync?

No. Hotsync syncs files, it's not a browser. There are good file
managers available for the Palm, though. I like FileProg, which is
freeware and the best file manager I've found. If you want to browse the
Palm files from the desktop, try PFB available at
http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm
The site is in German, but just click on the Download link under PFB, and
there is an English version in the English subdirectory in the zip file.

> Another thing i seem to have some trouble with is the palm book
> reader. I've got quite a few Ebooks i'd like to put on it, however,
> the display only seems to want to list about 20 or so (when you do an
> 'open'). Is there a limit on the number of titles that can be
> dispalyed?

I don't know of any limit. Are you scrolling all the way down, and do
you have the All category selected?

I don't use eReader that much, just for what I have to. I prefer Plucker
for ebooks, which often come in html or text format. Anything you can
get in html or text can be converted to Plucker, with full hyperlink
support. If possible, I get books in html format, and then can read them
on my desktop or my Palm, as I like.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 7:04:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"opto" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in

> Another thing i seem to have some trouble with is the palm book
> reader. I've got quite a few Ebooks i'd like to put on it, however,
> the display only seems to want to list about 20 or so (when you do an
> 'open'). Is there a limit on the number of titles that can be
> dispalyed?

I've started using iSilo as a book reader, and it's the best I've found.
There are many e-book readers for the platform; try some different ones and
see which suits your needs.

--
Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
albert@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Thanks guys i'll go with both your suggestions and try them out.

"Albert Nurick" <albert@nurick.com> wrote in message
> "opto" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in
>
> > Another thing i seem to have some trouble with is the palm book
> > reader. I've got quite a few Ebooks i'd like to put on it, however,
> > the display only seems to want to list about 20 or so (when you do an
> > 'open'). Is there a limit on the number of titles that can be
> > dispalyed?
>
> I've started using iSilo as a book reader, and it's the best I've found.
> There are many e-book readers for the platform; try some different ones
and
> see which suits your needs.
>
> --
> Albert Nurick | Nurick + Associates - Web Design
> albert@nurick.com | eCommerce - Content Management
> www.nurick.com | Web Applications - Hosting
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:48:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:30:48 GMT, "opto" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote:

<snip>
>Another thing i seem to have some trouble with is the palm book reader. I've
>got quite a few Ebooks i'd like to put on it, however, the display only
>seems to want to list about 20 or so (when you do an 'open'). Is there a
>limit on the number of titles that can be dispalyed?

No. Probably some are PDBs not designed for PalmReader. Some could be
specific to iSilo or others.
!