What would my upgrade path have been?

HEllo again!
Couldn't find the reply to thread button so am editing this instead.

For sure, the next rig i build will be amd.

What I want to know is what kind of socket did those first P4s have and what kind of memory socket did they use? I want to know what the fastest chip and memory is that i could now put into that board, if I *had* bought the P4 setup. (Which i didn't).

THanks!

Hello!

Just about the time the first pentium 4 chips came out i built a system. I had a choice: go with the new pentium 4 and a chipset that there was not much news about or go with the pentium 3 1000, rock solid and a mature product.

I went with the P3.

I wonder now what would my upgrade possibilities be right now if i had got that p4 and mobo... What chip and memory could i have running on that mobo? Did i make a good decision?

Hope to hear from you!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yeehii on 06/04/05 10:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
7 answers Last reply
More about what upgrade path been
  1. Are you serious?

Well your upgrade path would be selling that P4 when you realize ADM beats its ass in games and you would probably own an A64 3000+ right now

If you're about to upgrade again the best would be proably to buy a Intel i955x based board.

3. Intel has hired people to put a word on their behalf.. :D
  4. _________________________________
    ADM beats its ass in games and

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
    And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
    So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
  5. The original P4s were s423. The boards only supported RDram. The fastest s423 chip was the 1.7ghz model. It did not perform as well as a P3 @ 1.3ghz
    The most common chip for s423 was the 1.5ghz model. It was on par with the 1ghz P3.
    Had you spent a grand or more to get a gig of ram, you would probably be using a socket adaptor, so that you could run a northwood core. I believe THG did a review of just such an adaptor, not too long ago.
  6. S423 later went as high as 2.0GHz.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  7. Exactly right, "Powerleap" has a 423 to 478 adaptor kit (includes cpu) which will bump you to 3.0 Ghz depending on the fsb of your mb. I purchased one a couple of years ago (including spending ~ $200 for more rdram)works fine in my secondary system. At the time it was the most cost efficent upgrade.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium