pat

Expert
It's clear from the live stress tests the Intel Pentium 840 EE cannot do tasks given to it, equally. Form the data coming through the WinRAR encoding task is getting low priority maybe due to a congested instruction queue at the instruction priority stage of the dual core processing step.

Will Intel do a recall on the poor design, as it's clearly a fault that makes Intel Pentium 840 EE a poor choice for multitasking environments.

It maybe good for Tom to get into the live test units and put the thread priority on high for the WinRAR task so as to see if we can force the Intel Pentium 840 EE to do the WinRAR process equally.

This is shocking news for Intel.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Will Intel do a recall on the poor design, as it's clearly a fault that makes Intel Pentium 840 EE a poor choice for multitasking environments.
Intel has stated that it's netburst architecture is a failier.
But i believe that they know that much sooner, and i believe that it was only implementer to get average joe to buy Intel (Megaherz roxor, etc.).

ps. this thread is going to die very soon, no intrest since we are only stating the obvious..

pat

Expert
please, stay on topic. I'm talking about how the Intel is giving too much time to divx encoding and not enough to WinRAR. To me, it is clearly a CPU fault and Intel should recall them

PS. Do I look like aa AMD fanboy now?

RichPLS

Champion
fanny boi! :LOL!~

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
please, stay on topic. I'm talking about how the Intel is giving too much time to divx encoding and not enough to WinRAR. To me, it is clearly a CPU fault and Intel should recall them
Well, if Intel gives clockcycles to other applications it would only waste time.
It would waste time becouse of netburst is a failier, and Hyperthreading too (HT in DC CPU's).

So i think that Intel is being clever by giving more priority to Divx encoding, that way they can say that it's good at it. (altough it's mediocre).

So NO, Intel does NOT need to recall those CPU's, there is no faults in them.
Intel CPU's work just like Intel wants them to work, those waste clockcycles so they can market the MHZ.
That is what Intel wanted, and they increased marketshare, so it has worked.

What should be done is that people should get smarter, they should know that Intel is thinking that they are idiots..
Intel knows that AMD has better product and offers MUCH more value for the money, so if you buy Intel, guys at Intel thinks you are at least ignorant..

IMO Intel is in a panic (others share this opinion).

RichPLS

Champion
Intel Inside does not mean dumb uniformed buyer. There is more to it than that. The difference in speed is not such that OMG, you got an Intel, I will run circles around you.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

pat

Expert
And i also wonder how you can take this thread, or other threads about these "failiers" seriously.

in the week end, you could expect anything happening here!!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To me, it is clearly a CPU fault and Intel should recall them
Don't be silly! Intel is selling the whole kitten-kaboodle to Steven Jobs. They should work just fine in an Apple!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Viditor

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Of course it's not a failure! It's just paired up against a better product! If the 840EE was selling for ~$500, it would do VERY well! The AMD 4400+ and 4800+ are pretty much all alone in performance right now, but comparing the 840EE to the 4200+ would probably be a very good matchup.

BTW, it goes the other way as well...AMD don't have good match for the 820D until the dual core Semprons come out.

Cheers,
Charles<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by viditor on 06/18/05 09:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Weescotty

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2005
So compare a $1000 P840EE with a $500 X2 4200?
Well I suppose the P840EE might actaully win that one.

Whole point is the P840EE and X2 4800 are very close in price. Ignoring the fact for the P840EE you need a new mobo and prob RAM.

Most people say well I have $[x] amount to spend on a CPU, whats the best one for that money.
Therefore comparing CPU's at nearly the same cost makes sense.

Only prob I see is that AMD priced the 4800 about $200 too high. If it had been at $700-$750 I doubt Intel would sell a handfull of P840EE's.

But nevermind, my X2 4400 arrives on Tuesday :)
Gotta love it, a BIOS flash,(already done 1014) and it drops right into my ASUS A8V, $0.00 (no new mobo), and it uses my current RAM, $0.00.

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
AMD zealots at Intel ? :lol:

:wink:

<font color=red>"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
- Albert Einstein</font color=red>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And even Intel admitted recently it was a FAILURE!
Actually Intel only said that it was a rushed job to match AMD which had consequences. Which it was. Intel never said that it was a failure, because it wasn't. It got Intel into the dual core world at the same time as AMD. I tend to lean toward's Krewell's view. "<font color=blue>It's not an optimal solution, but it's a viable solution. It works, and it works reasonably well.</font color=blue>" It's not perfect, but it's hardly a failure.

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<font color=red><i>The Devil himself is good, when he is pleased.</i></font color=red>
@ 195K of 200K!

endyen

Splendid
It may not be a blazing failure, thanks to throttling, but as an attempt to produce a reasonable dual core chip (where reasonable includes such things as not having to throttle one core most of the time, and being able to be reasonable competition to the competition), it is a failure. If they could get the max TDP to stay under 125w, it would still be a failure, because it just isn't fast enough.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Can anyone say that AMD won the race to have dual core on desktops first? Intel's solution might be less than desirable (at least they priced it accordingly), but it's there. It buys Intel time and keeps them (for the most part) from losing face. It may not be a great success, but it's no failure either. It's doing exactly what Intel needed it to.

And as a CPU it <i>does</i> work. It might require special cooling and special mobos to run safely and without throttling, and it might not perform stunningly, but it does work.

So IMHO it's not a failure. It's just not really a success either. It's more like what it is, a holdover: less than ideal but better than nothing.

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<font color=red><i>The Devil made me do it, but I <b>liked</b> it.</i></font color=red>
@ 196K of 200K!

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Netburst would probably be the king of single threaded performance on air if it went down to .032nm but it would not compete in overall performance in the fourthcoming multithreaded world as they'd never get more than 1 on a single chip.