Downgrading to Windows 7

onlyone123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Hello people of the internet :)

I've just bought a new Toshiba laptop L850 . and unfortunately it comes with a windows 8 which I do not prefer at all!!

so I've tried to downgrade it to Windows 7 (I have a genuine version I bought off of amazon)

so whenever I pop the CD >> Restart >> try to boot from CD >> the black screen with windows logo in the middle appears and it keeps loading forever .. I tried leaving it for 30-40 minutes .. nothing happens .. it just freezes

I think I might take it to a shop .. Dunno what to do ..

If u guys have any solutions please help me .. I'm traveling soon and I'd like to have my laptop set up before Saturday

THANKS

onlyone123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
yeah it does . everything seems to be fine . I tried 3 different windows 7 CDs that I have .. none of them seem to get past that screen .. could it be the CD reader thingy ?

nirvananow

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011

Hi onlyone, I had the same problem with an HP laptop, they just don't like downgrading! I ended up using Dban to wipe the drive, and then did a 'fresh' install from there. But that caused a lot of problems in itself as I (stupid me) didn't back up the proper driver files for audio/video etc., so if you do this, remember you will need .dll's for all the interfaces. While an option, not a highly recommended one.
Nirvananow

If you've tried 3 different discs with the same result then your culprit is going to be the CD/DVD drive. Get you a can of compressed air, open the drive till you can see the laser eye, and then spray short bursts of air around and on the laser itself.

Be sure these are short bursts and not a continuous blast as you don't want to cause moisture or fog up the eye itself. Also if there is foreign matter on the eye, DO NOT TOUCH the eye with your bare hands as the oils in your fingers will ruin it. Get you a latex glove, powder free preferrably, and lightly try to get the dust or whatever off the eye that way. If you are unable to do so, go buy a CD lens cleaning kit at your local department store and use that.

Let me know if this helps!! :)

onlyone123

Honorable
Dec 22, 2012
Thanks alot every1 Really appreciate it <3 (sadly I'm surprised at how helpful and wonderful u guys r ,, cruel world ;p)

I will try all of these with my computer nerd brother and report the result ..

~

seetherfan101

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Hi onlyone, I had the same problem with an HP laptop, they just don't like downgrading! I ended up using Dban to wipe the drive, and then did a 'fresh' install from there. But that caused a lot of problems in itself as I (stupid me) didn't back up the proper driver files for audio/video etc., so if you do this, remember you will need .dll's for all the interfaces. While an option, not a highly recommended one.
Nirvananow[/quotemsg]

I'm thinking about trying this. Did you ever get yours to work normally again?