Lag Problems after receiving new zone files

Tags:
  • Lag
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
February 2, 2005 11:19:01 PM

Two days ago i had new zone files automatically installed when I logged into
my account. I immediaely started having problems with zone friends and high
latency, severe lag when in the game room for Links2000.

I deleted all zone files, rebooted, and logged in again. Zone friends
worked better, but I still a have a sever lag issue, making is unusable.

I have tried all the applicable suggestions on Nibblets to improve latency -
to no avial. I even rebooted adn restored registry to the day before the
problem starter. After doing this, I got intothe room just fine, and all
seemd to working well for about 15 seconds, then lag issue came back.

I am running windows 98, SBC-Yahoo browser with a DSL connection using a
SpeedStream 5100 DSL modem - no router. i am really at my witsend. All was
fine until the lates zone file updates loaded - now i am out of luck.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!!

Steve (MC_sMcrocket)

More about : lag problems receiving zone files

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 1:28:03 PM

sMcRocket wrote:

> Two days ago i had new zone files automatically installed when I logged into
> my account. I immediaely started having problems with zone friends and high
> latency, severe lag when in the game room for Links2000.
>
> I deleted all zone files, rebooted, and logged in again. Zone friends
> worked better, but I still a have a sever lag issue, making is unusable.
>
> I have tried all the applicable suggestions on Nibblets to improve latency -
> to no avial. I even rebooted adn restored registry to the day before the
> problem starter. After doing this, I got intothe room just fine, and all
> seemd to working well for about 15 seconds, then lag issue came back.
>
> I am running windows 98, SBC-Yahoo browser with a DSL connection using a
> SpeedStream 5100 DSL modem - no router. i am really at my witsend. All was
> fine until the lates zone file updates loaded - now i am out of luck.
>
> CAN ANYONE HELP ME!!!!
>
> Steve (MC_sMcrocket)

It could be coincidental, and actually be a problem with a server or
router between you and the Zone, maybe caused by the fact that many are
getting the latest updates as they enter a room. Next time this happens
you can open a MS-DOS window and type:

TRACERT ZONE.MSN.COM

See if there is an area where the latency increases dramatically. If
so, that means the new software isn't the problem. If the delay is near
the Zone, you'll have to wait for the problem to improve there. If near
you, you might contact your ISP.

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support