Add-on memory not working - Help!

Last response: in Computer Brands
a b } Memory
July 17, 2004 1:41:49 AM

Dimension 4100 WinME -- 256 MB original - trying to add second 256MB
module.
Tried to get add-on memory from Dell - series of 2-week delays -
cancelled and ordered from Kahlon. Used Kahlon memory finder tool, so
I am reasonably confident the module is the right one.
Kahlon memory prevents system from booting. I guess system is not
recognizing memory.
Kahlon says I need to download current flash BIOS.
Dell says as long as memory is PC133, flash is not necessary.
Also having trouble getting system to read floppy with new BIOS.
Downloaded per procedure on Dell site.
Is all the flash BS necessary, or might I have a bad module?
Something else I am not doing right?
Any feedback appreciated. Please. T-I-A
Sincerely,
Totally Frustrated.

---

More about : add memory working

Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 17, 2004 2:01:57 AM

Hello,

Question: Have you tried the system ONLY with the new memory stick?

Is so, what happened?

Did you or did you not update to the new BIOS? Is the problem you are
having with your floppy with the old or new BIOS?

If your system will not boot with just the NEW memory stick and you have
updated the BIOS and the system WILL boot with just the old memory stick,
then the problem lies within the NEW memory stick.

In the case, try another brand.

What processor are you running in the machine?

Hope this helps

--
JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
Technical Support Team

Check out some of the items we are offering
Dell Docking Stations starting at $5.00
Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

"BeeP" <beep@nospam2me.com> wrote in message
> Dimension 4100 WinME -- 256 MB original - trying to add second 256MB
> module.
> Tried to get add-on memory from Dell - series of 2-week delays -
> cancelled and ordered from Kahlon. Used Kahlon memory finder tool, so
> I am reasonably confident the module is the right one.
> Kahlon memory prevents system from booting. I guess system is not
> recognizing memory.
> Kahlon says I need to download current flash BIOS.
> Dell says as long as memory is PC133, flash is not necessary.
> Also having trouble getting system to read floppy with new BIOS.
> Downloaded per procedure on Dell site.
> Is all the flash BS necessary, or might I have a bad module?
> Something else I am not doing right?
> Any feedback appreciated. Please. T-I-A
> Sincerely,
> Totally Frustrated.
>

> ---

a b } Memory
July 17, 2004 2:18:28 AM

There are high density and low density 168-pin SDRAM DIMMs. High density DIMMs
have fewer chips per module, each memory chip having a larger capacity. If your
Kahlon DIMM has only 8 chips, it is high density, and it may not be compatible
with the 4100 motherboard.

Second possibility is simply a defective DIMM from Kahlon.

Third possibility is that Kahlon sent you memory incompatible with your system.
There are all kinds of 168-pin 3.3v DIMMs, and they all fit into the same
physical DIMM socket... Ben Myers

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:41:49 GMT, "BeeP" <beep@nospam2me.com> wrote:

>Dimension 4100 WinME -- 256 MB original - trying to add second 256MB
>module.
>Tried to get add-on memory from Dell - series of 2-week delays -
>cancelled and ordered from Kahlon. Used Kahlon memory finder tool, so
>I am reasonably confident the module is the right one.
>Kahlon memory prevents system from booting. I guess system is not
>recognizing memory.
>Kahlon says I need to download current flash BIOS.
>Dell says as long as memory is PC133, flash is not necessary.
>Also having trouble getting system to read floppy with new BIOS.
>Downloaded per procedure on Dell site.
>Is all the flash BS necessary, or might I have a bad module?
>Something else I am not doing right?
>Any feedback appreciated. Please. T-I-A
>Sincerely,
>Totally Frustrated.
>

>---

a b } Memory
July 19, 2004 8:43:22 PM

System with only new memory stick - does not boot.
Could not update bios - floppy issue is with old bios.
Pentium III processor
New stick does not look like old stick - old stick has chips on both
sides; new one does not. Has been suggested that is the problem.

"JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION" <info@jlaenterprises.com>
wrote in message
news:p fYJc.136226$wH4.7150884@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> Hello,
>
> Question: Have you tried the system ONLY with the new memory stick?
>
> Is so, what happened?
>
> Did you or did you not update to the new BIOS? Is the problem you
are
> having with your floppy with the old or new BIOS?
>
> If your system will not boot with just the NEW memory stick and you
have
> updated the BIOS and the system WILL boot with just the old memory
stick,
> then the problem lies within the NEW memory stick.
>
> In the case, try another brand.
>
> What processor are you running in the machine?
>
> Hope this helps
>

> --
> JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
> Technical Support Team
>
> Check out some of the items we are offering
> Dell Docking Stations starting at $5.00
> Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
> Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at
$5.00

> Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com
>

> "BeeP" <beep@nospam2me.com> wrote in message
> > Dimension 4100 WinME -- 256 MB original - trying to add second
256MB
> > module.
> > Tried to get add-on memory from Dell - series of 2-week delays -
> > cancelled and ordered from Kahlon. Used Kahlon memory finder tool,
so
> > I am reasonably confident the module is the right one.
> > Kahlon memory prevents system from booting. I guess system is not
> > recognizing memory.
> > Kahlon says I need to download current flash BIOS.
> > Dell says as long as memory is PC133, flash is not necessary.
> > Also having trouble getting system to read floppy with new BIOS.
> > Downloaded per procedure on Dell site.
> > Is all the flash BS necessary, or might I have a bad module?
> > Something else I am not doing right?
> > Any feedback appreciated. Please. T-I-A
> > Sincerely,
> > Totally Frustrated.
> >

> > ---

---
a b } Memory
July 19, 2004 8:49:40 PM

Thanks, yes, the Kahlon stick is high density - my OEM is lower
density; chips on both sides of stick. Label on Kahlon stick is model
number found in their memory finder.
A friend outside the group has also suggested that replacement stick
should be double sided. He is letting me try one to see if that is the
problem. He is a repair guy and only uses bios update as last
resort....
Thanks again. Bob

> There are high density and low density 168-pin SDRAM DIMMs. High
density DIMMs
> have fewer chips per module, each memory chip having a larger
capacity. If your
> Kahlon DIMM has only 8 chips, it is high density, and it may not be
compatible
> with the 4100 motherboard.
>
> Second possibility is simply a defective DIMM from Kahlon.
>
> Third possibility is that Kahlon sent you memory incompatible with
your system.
> There are all kinds of 168-pin 3.3v DIMMs, and they all fit into the
same
> physical DIMM socket... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:41:49 GMT, "BeeP" <beep@nospam2me.com> wrote:
>
> >Dimension 4100 WinME -- 256 MB original - trying to add second
256MB
> >module.
> >Tried to get add-on memory from Dell - series of 2-week delays -
> >cancelled and ordered from Kahlon. Used Kahlon memory finder tool,
so
> >I am reasonably confident the module is the right one.
> >Kahlon memory prevents system from booting. I guess system is not
> >recognizing memory.
> >Kahlon says I need to download current flash BIOS.
> >Dell says as long as memory is PC133, flash is not necessary.
> >Also having trouble getting system to read floppy with new BIOS.
> >Downloaded per procedure on Dell site.
> >Is all the flash BS necessary, or might I have a bad module?
> >Something else I am not doing right?
> >Any feedback appreciated. Please. T-I-A
> >Sincerely,
> >Totally Frustrated.
> >

> >---

---
a b } Memory
July 19, 2004 11:59:47 PM

A BIOS update won't change the way the motherboard hardware and chipset
recognize memory modules. The BIOS is simply a small software module
semi-permanently recorded in flash memory. Once in a while, a BIOS tweak will
get the hardware to act differently, but not in this case.

In particular, if the motherboard has an Intel 440BX chipset, it will not handle
DIMMs with high density memory, no matter how hard you plead with it. I forget
whether or not the Intel 810 and 815 chipsets work with high density memory.

Dell uses lots of Intel chipsets in Intel-designed (and -manufactured in the old
days) motherboards, so the type of chipset is relevant to Dell boxes.

.... Ben Myers