Sign in with
Your question

Assorted Game and Driver Issues

Last response: in Windows 7
December 23, 2012 3:31:57 AM

Hello forum community,

For the past 5 months, I have been having a few small issues which were annoying, but didn't prevent me from using any part of my computer, but recently, I have been having major issues to several programs:

1) Upon starting up my computer, half my startup programs crash, Skype, Steam, Origin, VirtuMVP and CurseClient. Also Windows goes all "non-aero", it appears that the NVIDIA driver uninstalls itself. Starting any game will come up with an error saying no graphics driver is installed. Running the latest NVIDIA driver installer does fix this issues and the programs work again, but is super annoying having to do this every startup without fail.

2) Steam and Battlefield 3: Yesterday, when I launched Steam as per normal, after logging in, it crashes. Googling around, it was suggested to download Steam again, restart windows, update video driver, clear Steam files so it re-downloads. None of these works. Battlefield 3 I am also having a headache with. After checking DirectX, reinstalling the latest graphics driver and uninstalling and reinstalling the game itself, I keep hitting the same error:

Failed creating D3D device of at least version 10.0 on adapter "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti" with driver "31070"
Error is DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED ("Unsupported")

This is despite the fact I have played this exact game on this exact computer without any change of hardware.

Any help on what is causing all these issues would be greatly, greatly appreciated..

Specs:
Intel i5 2500K
ASUS GTX560Ti
OCZ Agility 4
December 23, 2012 3:38:45 AM

* Have you performed any virus scans?
* How much space is left on your OCZ Agility 4 (if your over 80% of capacity you would see a slight degradation in performance). This isn't usually related to what your seeing, I'm more curious about this than anything else :) 

My first thought is you have a virus or malware of some sort. The other thought is that you have some other issues plaguing your system and you might need to a fresh install of the OS to clear these things up. You can get quite the garbage of stuff on a system over time and this along with other factors (virus/malware) can create issues.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 3:39:20 AM

Gundamire said:
Hello forum community,

For the past 5 months, I have been having a few small issues which were annoying, but didn't prevent me from using any part of my computer, but recently, I have been having major issues to several programs:

1) Upon starting up my computer, half my startup programs crash, Skype, Steam, Origin, VirtuMVP and CurseClient. Also Windows goes all "non-aero", it appears that the NVIDIA driver uninstalls itself. Starting any game will come up with an error saying no graphics driver is installed. Running the latest NVIDIA driver installer does fix this issues and the programs work again, but is super annoying having to do this every startup without fail.

2) Steam and Battlefield 3: Yesterday, when I launched Steam as per normal, after logging in, it crashes. Googling around, it was suggested to download Steam again, restart windows, update video driver, clear Steam files so it re-downloads. None of these works. Battlefield 3 I am also having a headache with. After checking DirectX, reinstalling the latest graphics driver and uninstalling and reinstalling the game itself, I keep hitting the same error:

Failed creating D3D device of at least version 10.0 on adapter "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti" with driver "31070"
Error is DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED ("Unsupported")

This is despite the fact I have played this exact game on this exact computer without any change of hardware.

Any help on what is causing all these issues would be greatly, greatly appreciated..

Specs:
Intel i5 2500K
ASUS GTX560Ti
OCZ Agility 4

It appears that all 3 of the issues you are describing are all caused by the same thing. Your video card.

It would appear this way because you are having to reinstall your graphics drivers upon every reboot, which seems to help but truly doesn't because you are still getting the D3D errors and Steam errors.

Are you using the nVidia signed drivers or a 3rd party driver?
Is this onboard video or a discreet graphics option (sorry didn't see your graphics card listed except for the D3D error)?

You might also take the graphics card out of the computer (if you can) and try using the onboard graphics and see if the issues continue.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 3:44:43 AM

it the VirtuMVP software and how it trys to bond the intel ipgpu and the nvidia gpu together to get higher frame rates. I have that on my asus sabertooth..it works for some games and apps but is very very buggy. if you want to see if it fixes itself..download the newest intel ipgpu driver for the sabdy/ivry cpu. then download the newest mvp software. also make sure your mb running the newest bios..the asus mb have had a lot of code updates for ram and cpu. if your still having issue boot into safe mode and remove the mvp software and turn off the onboard ipgpu.
m
l
December 23, 2012 4:40:39 AM

Thanks for your quick replies.
Yeah, all the drivers are from the GeForce website, it was updated 2 days ago to 310.70. The Agility is very full, but yeah, not sure how it will effect some of these problems.
I will also have a look into VirtuMVP, uninstall and see if it makes any difference, also i'll check for anything that may be affecting the onboard and dedicated cards..(BIOS etc.)
If worse comes to worse, I may upgrade to Windows 8, it may somehow fix some of these by clearing the whole system out, get rid of all the rubbish...

Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.
m
l
December 23, 2012 4:46:59 AM

I don't think Windows 8 will fix your problem. I think that you have some corrupted drivers or possible virus/malware issues. You might also have a GPU that has issues too (not sure on this one). I would consider doing a full install and make sure that your not using any integrated GPU. You could also be having power supply issues to the GPU, but I think that is quite a remote possibility and probably not related to your issues.
m
l
!