27" IPS 2560x1440 monitors,yamakasi catleap vs auria?

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
So it comes down to either the Yamakasi Catleap Q270 on ebay for $300-350 + shipping or the auria EQ276W monitor for $400 at my local microcenter. I will be using the screen space of this monitor for productivity + gaming and movie watching, with possibly some photo/video editing as well.

Here is the yamakasi on ebay for $330 (it does not have a warranty and is shipped from korea)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tempered-Glass-27-Yamakasi-Catleap-2703-LED-IPS-2560x1440-WQHD-Monitor-/130724901986?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1e6fcfb462

and here is the $400 auria display at microcenter:

http://microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Which of these monitors would be better for the price? I am using an EVGA GTX 670 video card.

Another thing I am considering is buying a 23" 1080p monitor instead for under $150. It would save a lot of money obviously, but I wouldn't get as many pixels or screen size. Are the 2560x1440 resolution displays that much better than the 1080p's?

I would be very wary of any IPS panel that cheap. I have not heard of either of those manufacturers. There are only a few good manufacturers of IPS panels. The good ones are manufactured by Samsung and Panasonic. As far as I know, Samsung manufactures the Dell Ultrasharp line which is the absolute best (I'm using one). IPS panels are very expensive to manufacture and as such demand a hefty price premium. You're probably best off spending that same money on a good 27 inch Samsung LED

musasa79

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
i bought YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 LED SE 27" for 300$ like a month ago. the price was a steal. i run some pixel test and didn't find a single one dead pixel on mine.and it's not even a perfect pixel version. all i found was a tiny dust on the bottom right of the screen. you won't notice unless you try very hard. sometimes when i on my way home after work i would stop by the local Apple store and check out the apple Thunderbolt display and try to make comparison with my YAMAKASI CATLEAP Q270 LED SE 27" there isn't that much a different between the two display. no doubt Thunderbolt will come on top in every aspect consider this 1000$ monitor. but most recently the price for YAMAKASI Catleap have been raise. i would suggest grab it when you still can with 300$ range. good luck! :bounce:

bookwormsy

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
From what I've read, the Catleaps are Korean LG A- panels, meaning that they aren't PERFECT but almost. Any defects are barely, if at all, noticeable. These LG panels are the same panels that are used the the Apple Thunderbolt display and I believe the Dell Ultrasharps (not 100% on that). If you read the overclockers.net guide to them, you'll find that thousands of people love them. However, one disadvantage is that the OSD is in Korean, and there isn't a way to fix that.

I've never head of Auria, but they seem to have good reviews on the page.

I would personally go for the Catleaps, because 1. I can read Korean, and 2. its a hundred bucks cheaper. Since the one you are looking at is already tested, you shouldn't have a problem.

If you are worried about warranty, go for the Auria.

I would definitely go for a 27" IPS display. The added screen size is fantastic.

ehanger

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Ended up buying an LG 22" 1080p monitor for $109.99. I don't think i could have forgiven myself for spending half the money i have on one of the 27" displays (im a poor college student).

It's still a huge upgrade from my old 19" 1366x768 acer, though.

The Dell Ultrasharps are made by either Samsung or Panasonic. LG is Korean for "cheap ***", Dell doesn't roll with that