Need Help Locating Name Of Pinball Machine

As the subject states, I'm having trouble finding the name of a specific
pinball machine that I worked on many many years ago. For the life of me,
I cannot remember what it was called or who made it. Google searches
hasn't been of any help locating any info no it. Perhaps someone in this
newsgroup know the machine I'm talking about.

Ok, here is what I remember from when I worked on one over 12 years ago.

It was an old old EM pinball machine, which was done in a 1940's movie
theme. The backglass was a red sort of color. There were about a dozen
or so movie stars/monsters on it, which included the mummy, Dracula,
Frankenstein, the wolfman, creature from the black lagoon, bride of
Frankenstein, and some 1940's popular stars from the time.

The playfield had 2 flippers at the bottom and, if memory serves me right,
I thought it had a 3rd flipper half way up on the side. I think it was
only 2 player (dont think it was a 4, but I could be wrong here).

The playfield was pretty simple in its design. In addition, the playfield
contained different pics of the same characters which appeared on the
backglass.

I remember that it had 2 bells (one in the back left of the body & one
somewhere in the backbox). It also used standard EM score wheels in the
backbox (just like you would find in my '66 Williams Casanova).

I don't remember the body having anything more complicated then a score
motor assembly, a transformer and a ton relays/solenoids & wires.

Anyway, if someone knows the machine I'm talking about, please either post
the name of the machine here or email me directly.

Thanks...

James
turajb@_nospam_hoflink.com
(remove _nospam_ to email me)

Sounds like it must be a Chicago Coin Hollywood or Cinema. The Bally
Flicker machine was mostly blue featuring WC Fields, and the
multi-colored Sonic Prospector featured only Laurel and Hardy on the
glass.

James T wrote:

> As the subject states, I'm having trouble finding the name of a specific
> pinball machine that I worked on many many years ago. For the life of me,
> I cannot remember what it was called or who made it. Google searches
> hasn't been of any help locating any info no it. Perhaps someone in this
> newsgroup know the machine I'm talking about.
>
> Ok, here is what I remember from when I worked on one over 12 years ago.
>
> It was an old old EM pinball machine, which was done in a 1940's movie
> theme. The backglass was a red sort of color. There were about a dozen
> or so movie stars/monsters on it, which included the mummy, Dracula,
> Frankenstein, the wolfman, creature from the black lagoon, bride of
> Frankenstein, and some 1940's popular stars from the time.
>
> The playfield had 2 flippers at the bottom and, if memory serves me right,
> I thought it had a 3rd flipper half way up on the side. I think it was
> only 2 player (dont think it was a 4, but I could be wrong here).
>
> The playfield was pretty simple in its design. In addition, the playfield
> contained different pics of the same characters which appeared on the
> backglass.
>
> I remember that it had 2 bells (one in the back left of the body & one
> somewhere in the backbox). It also used standard EM score wheels in the
> backbox (just like you would find in my '66 Williams Casanova).
>
> I don't remember the body having anything more complicated then a score
> motor assembly, a transformer and a ton relays/solenoids & wires.
>
> Anyway, if someone knows the machine I'm talking about, please either post
> the name of the machine here or email me directly.

Chicago Coin's "Cinema" has some 40's stars and Dracula on the
backglass, but not Frankenstein (or bride). And I wouldn't
really call 1976 "old, old", but some here would! The backglass
is pretty red, though. But no Frankenstein anywhere, and no Creature
anywhere. The two-player "Hollywood" has different artwork, but it
doesn't even have Dracula on the backglass!

There's a Midway pitch and bat game called "Mystery Score" that has
Frankenstein, but no flippers...so that doesn't seem right.

Bally (and Jennings) produced a few versions of a game titled
"Flicker", but the one with Hollywood stars seems to prominently
feature Laurel and Hardy, no monsters to be seen...

Hmmm, the mystery deepens...take a look at the above games on the
IPDB, and see if your memory is playing tricks on you and maybe
conflating a couple of games into one...

--Bob

Bob Ellingson bobe@halted.com
Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

Bob E. wrote:
> James T wrote:
> >
> > As the subject states, I'm having trouble finding the name of a specific
> > pinball machine that I worked on many many years ago. For the life of me,
> > I cannot remember what it was called or who made it. Google searches
> > hasn't been of any help locating any info no it. Perhaps someone in this
> > newsgroup know the machine I'm talking about.
> >
> > Ok, here is what I remember from when I worked on one over 12 years ago.
> >
> > It was an old old EM pinball machine, which was done in a 1940's movie
> > theme. The backglass was a red sort of color. There were about a dozen
> > or so movie stars/monsters on it, which included the mummy, Dracula,
> > Frankenstein, the wolfman, creature from the black lagoon, bride of
> > Frankenstein, and some 1940's popular stars from the time.
> >
> > The playfield had 2 flippers at the bottom and, if memory serves me right,
> > I thought it had a 3rd flipper half way up on the side. I think it was
> > only 2 player (dont think it was a 4, but I could be wrong here).
> >
> > The playfield was pretty simple in its design. In addition, the playfield
> > contained different pics of the same characters which appeared on the
> > backglass.
> >
> > I remember that it had 2 bells (one in the back left of the body & one
> > somewhere in the backbox). It also used standard EM score wheels in the
> > backbox (just like you would find in my '66 Williams Casanova).
> >
> > I don't remember the body having anything more complicated then a score
> > motor assembly, a transformer and a ton relays/solenoids & wires.
> >
> > Anyway, if someone knows the machine I'm talking about, please either post
> > the name of the machine here or email me directly.
> >

> Chicago Coin's "Cinema" has some 40's stars and Dracula on the
> backglass, but not Frankenstein (or bride). And I wouldn't
> really call 1976 "old, old", but some here would! The backglass
> is pretty red, though. But no Frankenstein anywhere, and no Creature
> anywhere. The two-player "Hollywood" has different artwork, but it
> doesn't even have Dracula on the backglass!
>
> There's a Midway pitch and bat game called "Mystery Score" that has
> Frankenstein, but no flippers...so that doesn't seem right.
>
> Bally (and Jennings) produced a few versions of a game titled
> "Flicker", but the one with Hollywood stars seems to prominently
> feature Laurel and Hardy, no monsters to be seen...
>
> Hmmm, the mystery deepens...take a look at the above games on the
> IPDB, and see if your memory is playing tricks on you and maybe
> conflating a couple of games into one...
>
> --Bob

> Bob Ellingson bobe@halted.com
> Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
> 3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
> Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

I think the Frankenstein figure is pictured on an upper playfield
plastic. Maybe that's where the original poster is getting that from.
Brian S.

Go to the internet pinball database and pull up some of the european
manufacturers. Maybe it was an import.

-cody
CARGPB#4

James T wrote:
> As the subject states, I'm having trouble finding the name of a specific
> pinball machine that I worked on many many years ago. For the life of me,
> I cannot remember what it was called or who made it. Google searches
> hasn't been of any help locating any info no it. Perhaps someone in this
> newsgroup know the machine I'm talking about.
>

> Ok, here is what I remember from when I worked on one over 12 years ago.
>
> It was an old old EM pinball machine, which was done in a 1940's movie
> theme. The backglass was a red sort of color. There were about a dozen
> or so movie stars/monsters on it, which included the mummy, Dracula,
> Frankenstein, the wolfman, creature from the black lagoon, bride of
> Frankenstein, and some 1940's popular stars from the time.
>
> The playfield had 2 flippers at the bottom and, if memory serves me right,
> I thought it had a 3rd flipper half way up on the side. I think it was
> only 2 player (dont think it was a 4, but I could be wrong here).
>
> The playfield was pretty simple in its design. In addition, the playfield
> contained different pics of the same characters which appeared on the
> backglass.
>
> I remember that it had 2 bells (one in the back left of the body & one
> somewhere in the backbox). It also used standard EM score wheels in the
> backbox (just like you would find in my '66 Williams Casanova).
>
> I don't remember the body having anything more complicated then a score
> motor assembly, a transformer and a ton relays/solenoids & wires.
>
> Anyway, if someone knows the machine I'm talking about, please either post
> the name of the machine here or email me directly.
>
> Thanks...
>
> James
> turajb@_nospam_hoflink.com
> (remove _nospam_ to email me)

If memory serves, Flicker did have some monsters - Dracula and
Frankenstein (and maybe Wolfman). The playfield has the same small
pics as the backglass. The playfield was mostly orange/red.

Seems pretty close to what you remembered . . .

Barry Schiffer
--
Please visit my gameroom:
http://home.comcast.net/~barry5327/

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:15:14 -0700, cchunn3 wrote:

> Go to the internet pinball database and pull up some of the european
> manufacturers. Maybe it was an import.
>
> -cody
> CARGPB#4

I have been searning and scanning Google, several other search engines
and www.ipdb.org for quite a while now and haven't found anything
that looks close to what I remember. I'll however keep at it. Thanks...

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 04:34:39 +0000, Bob E. wrote:

> Chicago Coin's "Cinema" has some 40's stars and Dracula on the
> backglass, but not Frankenstein (or bride). And I wouldn't
> really call 1976 "old, old", but some here would! The backglass
> is pretty red, though. But no Frankenstein anywhere, and no Creature
> anywhere. The two-player "Hollywood" has different artwork, but it
> doesn't even have Dracula on the backglass!
>
> There's a Midway pitch and bat game called "Mystery Score" that has
> Frankenstein, but no flippers...so that doesn't seem right.
>
> Bally (and Jennings) produced a few versions of a game titled
> "Flicker", but the one with Hollywood stars seems to prominently
> feature Laurel and Hardy, no monsters to be seen...
>
> Hmmm, the mystery deepens...take a look at the above games on the
> IPDB, and see if your memory is playing tricks on you and maybe
> conflating a couple of games into one...
>
> --Bob

> Bob Ellingson bobe@halted.com
> Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
> 3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
> Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

Bob, I think you hit the nail on the head. It was the EM version of
Bally's Flicker. Nearly all of the characters I remember are there (even
if they are just quarter sized heads on the edge of the backglass and
on the upper playfield). It included Dracula, Frankenstein,
wolfman, and the old movie stars I remembered. Once I looked at the
playfield pics in the IPDB, I remembered that single
bumper in the middle of the upper playfield with those weird rings around
it. It drove me nuts, because the bumper was so sensitive that when you
got the ball into that center ring, it would bound between the bumper and
the left or right edge forever. I couldn't stand to hear that
bell going crazy, so I disconnected the bell while I played it when
working on it. The very red playfield is remembered. Guess I got some
of the details wrong or mixed up after such a long time, but that is the
machine I remember, now that I saw it.

Incidentally, what would be the average price for that machine in good
condition, in the US? Also how hard is it to find this machine?

Just wondering...