MN-710 adequate firewall?

Last response: in Networking
Share
September 30, 2004 5:03:21 PM

Can anyone tell me if the MN-710 router is adequate as a
firewall? I know it makes a good h/w firewall but I am
concerned about my files leaving by the back door. I am
running XP & I hear that it does not stop this. My ports
are closed. Should I still update to pack 2 or some other
firewall like ZoneAlarm?.

Thank you much,
Gary

More about : 710 adequate firewall

September 30, 2004 5:16:05 PM

Excuse me I mean the MN-700 router.

October 1, 2004 9:54:30 AM

I'd suggest installing SP2 for all of the updates. The only software
firewall I haven't seen cause any problems is the Windows firewall.

The MN-700 will block any incoming packets, but because it is such a
simple hardware firewall it can not block outgoing information other
then with client filtering & parental controls.

The Windows XP SP2 firewall can block certain programs access to the
Internet like other software firewalls do without causing any problems
to Windows, unlike other software firewalls.

Gary wrote:

> Excuse me I mean the MN-700 router.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 1, 2004 4:01:10 PM

Thank you Joker,

With SP2 just coming out in August -- I hear the jury is
still out on how well the firewall works (outgoing). But
agree I'd rather stick with MS.

Thanks.

October 2, 2004 12:28:45 AM

Like I said all other software firewalls I have seen cause problems with
Windows. The only one to never cause problems is the Windows firewall.

It is a much more robust firewall with SP2 as it can now block outgoing
connections instead of just incoming connections.

!