What Intel DTS Means for Enthusiasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

onearmedscissorb

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
"Intel disclosed some additional information regarding the Digital Thermal Sensors(DTS) on its 45nm processors, as well as the DTS in the upcoming Core i7 processors."

Eh? Where is it? :(

CompuTronix

Intel Master
The author of Real Temp, Kevin Glynn, has done a great job to provide us with a temperature monitoring utility which includes Tjunction Max calibrations for more accurate Core temperatures at load, as well as idle calibrations. Unfortunately, Intel dropped the ball by not disclosing 65 nanometer Tjunction Max values, and by not revealing the calibration point for the 5c gradient between Tcase (CPU temperature) and Tjunction (Core Temperature).

As the author of the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide - here at Tom's, I can fully appreciate the importance of having complete and accurate information from Intel upon which to base calibration procedures. I've been corresponding with Kevin Glynn since April, and I can tell you that we've both read hundreds of pages of Intel documents.

Although we've both discovered a few revealing papers, we were hoping that the substance needed to fill in the remaining blanks would come from Intel at IDF 2008 during the DTS presentation. Regardless, research and testing will continue toward finding the highest degree of accuracy, and with the help of articles such as this, hopefully Intel will eventually disclose Tjunction Max values for all Core 2 desktop variants.

Thank you Tom's Hardware for writing this follow up article on such a hotly debated topic. I'm certain that many users would find more temperature monitoring articles extremely helpful.

CompuTronix :sol:

gsteacy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]onearmedscissorb[/nom]"Intel disclosed some additional information regarding the Digital Thermal Sensors(DTS) on its 45nm processors, as well as the DTS in the upcoming Core i7 processors."Eh? Where is it? [/citation]
If you are asking where the info on the Core i7 DTS is, it's on the presentation slides which were previously available on the internet, but have since been removed.

Hadouken

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
thanks for the pdf. honestly... you need more info than that? i think it's TMI. but i guess i'm not the one writing software. intel ROCKs!

you know where to stick that thermometer! hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.