good place to buy some amd x2s?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i checked tiger direc and they have the AMD 4800+ priced at $1398.99 canadian
and among other things
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/category_cpu.asp
do you guys think is it too early to invest in one of these duel core systems? because if i decide to upgrade then i will need to remake a whole pc bascially (currently i got a PIII SLOT 1 550mhz, readeon 9200 256mb gpu, some 700mb of ram and other cheap (year) 2000 hardware..... so do you guys think i should wait for the prices to drop or is it not gona drop but go up with newer cups (i ment like over the summer type thingy, not in like a year...)

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
AMD X2 4400 model has best value for dual core in my opinion.
It cost almost 50% less than the 4800 but has only 200Mhz slower clock speed.

endyen

Splendid
The 4200 will be available for $750can. My current A64 barely cost that, for the whole rig. You obviously are not a power user, so why blow so much on a chip?
It's really not much better than a 3500.

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Next time he updates is so far away that he needs to buy a new system anyway.
So buying state of the art now is worth it, becouse his system will last years longer.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>So buying state of the art now is worth it, becouse his
>system will last years longer.

That doesn't necessarely make it worth it. Unless you mind messing with your system every 6 or so months, it makes no sense to pay a huge price premium now for performance you might not be using for another (couple of) year(s). in a year that same "extra" unused performance will be dirt cheap, so why pay top dollars for it now ?

Buying the fastest available system not to have to upgrade doesn't make economical sense, but I of course other arguments play as well..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
it makes no sense to pay a huge price premium now for performance you might not be using for another (couple of) year(s).
You are right.
But it still is worth considering, maybe there is use for more power..
He might become power user if system is not holding him back.
Or something.

I think he should say more about his needs before we start to build systems for him that WE would want. :lol:
Also he only asked where to buy X2:s.. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HansGruber on 06/10/05 04:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I would buy a socket 939 rig and get a cheap one core CPU like the 3000+ Venice which is pretty decent and save the money you didn't spend for the double core upgrade. Right now double core is barely available so once there are more of them in the market the prices should fall at least to something more reasonable.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one thath will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
Every time I read one of your posts, I think the sig is part of the post.:_(
Quit messing with my miiiiinnnnd!

<font color=blue> Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows. </font color=blue>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
How's This?

<font color=blue>If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage</font color=blue>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Nice responses, Thanx all! some of the responses makes alot of sense (P4Man escipically about why get all that extra power when there is not need), but here is a little more on my situtation: I'm currently 15 and before 2005 i had been basically been using my computer as is when my dad passed it down to me, i like comupters alot and hoping to go into the game programming business and that i though that in order for me to do any of these stuff (C++, SQL??, java, etc etc..) i would need a new computer, now you would say that even with me think of running these apps and "testing" out games i wouln't need any of this rig, but i'm a person who likes to do stuff myself and i found that the lack of cutting edge parts at the school standalone labs and from my pc frustrating, and i though that why not kill two birds with one stone? if i had get my hands on some good parts then i'm sure that this will satasify all me needs. I live in a small city so i do not have any chance to see any of these top of the line stuff in demo machines or anything, and the only way for me to get the news is the internet and after the duel core thing i'm ready to try and give my machine a really big overhual (more liek a jump to lightspeed...) because i'm pround of the fact that i have assembled a PII from almost scrach (i had all the parts and all the mb was in the case) for a friend (yes, people still want pIIs in this city.............................) and that i though that maybe i can do the same for my computer (since most work on my computer is small tweaks and expansion card upgrades). BTW is this a good time to do such a upgrade or do you guys think i need a little more experince b4 i do this. Also i think that this will indefintaly help me on my A+ course next year at school (ICE high school course for throse in ontario, canada) so i think that even if i come up short in $$ my parents may be albe to help.

P.S. if all this is good should i get a lower cpu like a 4200 or 4400 and go for 4gb of ram? if so what should i get and is a 300w power supply good for them?
P.S.S: sorry for the spelling and grammer as that i'm only been in canada (english enviroment) for 5 years

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
hehe, but people will need entertainment and becides bioinformatics is a bit of too early, its offereed more in unversity and not at the highschool level and that the people maybe 10 years after me would have more classes than now about bioinformatics and i would possibnly be out of date :p

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
lol ic well i beleive in bio-related things too like biomass energy generator or (HALO!!) human augmentations will become good enough for human to use in my lifetime (maybe at the end maybe middle maybe torromow) but i do think that the entertainment business is here to stay and that computers (wether is bio-computer or quantium (spelling.....) computer) is here to stay.
and yes i do hope that when i hit 23 i will have a decent career (not a job but a career)

endyen

Splendid
It sounds like a 3500+ would make everything around you look stone age.
Forget the 4 gigs of ram, for a few years.
One of the single core chips will do more than you need, no problem. They are actually quite good at multitasking, and are very fast at single threads, better for gaming.
If my parents ever offered to get me something like that, I would have freaked. Now, if my daughter ever asked for a $1400 chip, I would freak.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
lol ture that is y i;mn working over the summer or cut a deal with my dad about theat MCSE course (he wants me to get the MCSE cirtificate A+ too but since i AM taking A+ next year during school time (thank you ontario government and school board) so he migh give me some $$ for me to TAKE the course, but i be working with a much lowered budget of course (around 2400 to like 1600 CAD.... i have 800 ATM)
BTW again i love to get my hands on some new hardware because my old ones are really old and i'm getting tired of seeing them..... and me wants a crossfire :p

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
lol if one day i would have a daughter that open with me (not in the bad way mind you) i would be happy she probelly will not do drugs or smoking because she would have told me about it lol (drinking IMO is ok as long its very little, even somehow i do not like the taste of alchol(makes me very unpopular..................................................)