Suddenly this copy of windows is not genuine

so i was playing diablo 3, it minimised itself and says this, the copy is no doubt genuine as the hdd i am using was from a shop bought prebuilt pc, not sure what to do about it any help would be nice!
11 answers Last reply
More about suddenly copy windows genuine
  1. If you took the harddrive from a prebuilt PC and put it in a different one it will not work. It is an OEM version of windows and tied to the motherboard of the original computer. You will have to buy your own copy.
  2. unksol said:
    If you took the harddrive from a prebuilt PC and put it in a different one it will not work. It is an OEM version of windows and tied to the motherboard of the original computer. You will have to buy your own copy.

    so what is the difference if i dont buy a new copy
  3. popeyejohnson it is a violation of forum rules to provide assistance pirating software or overriding security.
  4. unksol said:
    popeyejohnson it is a violation of forum rules to provide assistance pirating software or overriding security.

    i didnt pirate it thought, im just using a old hdd
  5. Anonymous said:
    so what is the difference if i dont buy a new copy


    You went get all Microsoft updates, some software will not work, and it will stop working after 30 days
  6. you are using an old HDD with an OEM version of windows on it. As stated above that version of windows is tied into the original mobo, this allows the version of windows to be a lot cheaper.

    You might be able to do a telephony authorisation of windows and they will sometimes let you reauthorise it.
  7. Anonymous said:
    i didnt pirate it thought, im just using a old hdd


    We don't know that. All we know is you do not have a valid license, and an OEM license is no longer valid if you use it on a new PC. Technically you ARE pirating it and in violation of the license agreement. We can't help bypass validation
  8. unksol said:
    We don't know that. All we know is you do not have a valid license, and an OEM license is no longer valid if you use it on a new PC. Technically you ARE pirating it and in violation of the license agreement. We can't help bypass validation

    why didnt i get this message as soon as i used my new mobo and weeks after?
  9. I have the same problem with a copy I know is genuine (An unopened copy which came with my laptop)
    It started doing it after the last MS upgrade. Has something changed to make Windows think some copies are not genuine?
    JB
  10. you get 28/30 days before it checks, you don't even have to enter a license number for that long.
  11. pastit is it still on your laptop, the same one you started with?

    japet, there will be a telephony auth mechanism that might work, windows will guide you to it, try it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Systems Diablo Hard Drives Windows 7