Sign in with
Your question

Apple Using Intel Processors

Last response: in CPUs
June 10, 2005 11:49:33 PM

If Apple is switching over to Intel processors. Does this mean that most of us who have been using x86 based processors will be able to use the Mac OS?

Is the Mac OS superior to the Windows/Linux most of us are using? By superior, I mean efficiency, stability, ease of use.

Claude

More about : apple intel processors

June 10, 2005 11:55:51 PM

Well, I think that's the big question. From all the posts I've read I haven't seen an answer to that one. But I'm interested to know that one myself. :) 

<font color=blue> Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows. </font color=blue>
June 11, 2005 4:02:51 AM

We can only hope that Apple's real strategy is to become a software house that makes a viable alternative to Windows. The initial problem is that Apple is only talking about using 32 bit Intel processors. By 2007 64 bit should be up and running with all the top shelf software only coming in 64 bit versions.

I can only hope that Apple really does port the Mac OS over to a fully compatible x86 platform capable of running on any x86 box.

I can't believe Wintel would allow this to happen, but I would have expected AMD and Apple to join up as "Ample". AMD must be pissed at Microsoft for not releasing XP 64 until Intel had their x86-64 chip ready.

Well, Deep Throat turned out to be a chicken s*$t cop and Apple started using Intel chips, I guess hell really did freeze over... Does this mean that global warming will stop due to the cooling effect???
Related resources
June 13, 2005 1:30:16 PM

check out apple's developers section

they'reselling a P4 @ 3.6 running the MACos Binaries for 999.99.

leads me to believe that an x86 version IS in the works

the question remains, will Apple put some type of protection into it so it'll only run on THEIR branded machines
June 13, 2005 1:55:56 PM

No, apparently Apple will limit OS-X only to its own machines. At least initially, but I'd WAG sooner rather than later they will sell the OS to anyone interested.

As for it being superior.. tough call. Its based on a solid foundation for sure, but comes with a multilayered kludge on top of that. Johan did a nice article on the subject on Anand recently, I suggest you read it.

FWIW, I think it would be an interesting alternative for people who want something other than windows but easier to use than Linux, but I don't think its really superior than either other OS. Its main advantage is eye candy and the fact its niche, and therefore, not a lot of virusses/exploits written for it..... yet ? Oh, and you can use it with a single button mouse, which really is a nice feature if all buttons save one die on your favourite mouse :D 

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
June 13, 2005 2:09:53 PM

There's ahuge disadvantage though to 1 button mouse... a lot of more complex stuff requires you to use the keyboard in conjuction with mouse clicks.... that means you must always be using 2 hands...

and i don't know about you.. there's a LOT of reasons I can think of that requires me to operate my computer one handedly ;) 
June 13, 2005 11:24:16 PM

A LOT of reasons... worries me more then one, sure..but a LOT?...

BTW, a Mac is puchased with a one button mouse but you can use any mouse you like and progame to do what ever you want just like on any other PC. I agree tho, its silly.

I have to wonder about the virus issue...I don't realy know too much about them... but i would think that simply porting to the x86 platform alone should multiply the amount of virus.

<b><A HREF="http://www.digitalgunfire.com" target="_new">DigitalGunfire-Industrial EBM</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW
June 14, 2005 12:33:08 AM

Ohh I have go to hear this one... Spit it out Wusy!

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"
June 14, 2005 12:34:17 AM

I find using my PC with one helps with... ummm... Lets just say my other hand stays busy! I cant live without a 6 button mouse for games.

June 14, 2005 4:16:11 AM

LMAO... My first time on a MAC:

I was at a friends house and he asked me to eject his music CD from his old MAC. I went to his MAC and looked all around for a button to eject the darned CD. He finally came in and I had the darn thig pulled out of the desk looking for a button! Little did I know I had to drop the cd-rom icon into the trashbin to make it eject because it had no button on the rom itself. Ever since, I have not so much as touched a MAC. (Besides, the interface seems a bit faggish anyhow [no offence to any homosexuals out there])

*Note: I had no idea what to do since there wasnt a FRIGGIN RIGHT CLICK!!!!!!!!!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by clob on 06/13/05 11:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 14, 2005 12:58:08 PM

i had a similar experience....
just couldnt figure out how to use it. i'll admit, i love the look of MACos. i think if it was completely compatible with wintel binaries it would be a graet alternative to windblows.... as long as they add a right click feature to use 2 buttom mice
June 16, 2005 4:41:08 AM

i love that touch sence power thing.

best use i saw that for was on the G4 Cube.

very cool.

<b><A HREF="http://www.digitalgunfire.com" target="_new">DigitalGunfire-Industrial EBM</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW
June 16, 2005 11:29:25 PM

what...?

at the time that was a realy cool thing. the switch was on the other side of 3/4" think plastic/plexyglass what ever it is.

if apple sold that thing for helf hte price...it was a great machine. stupid thing was... it tapped out at 500 mhz...when it was only released at 400 mhz...

years later they released their headless horseman...think they have room to upgrade this time?

or are they going to run into another wall waiting on another heat issue.

June 17, 2005 4:34:49 AM

fair enough

!