Clearcoat or not? I got a very nice Harlem Globetrotters p..

I recently acquired a very nice low use playfield from a nice guy in
chicago. Its not NOS but its damn nice. Problem I have with it is:
Almost all the inserts arent flush with the playfield, theres so age
cracking in the paint and theres a few very very small spots where the
paint has chipped away from posts.

I cleaned it up and waxed it and it looks nice, but Im afraid to put it
in the game. I know most certainly the cracks in the paint will become
serious chips if I do so. I want to clear it and keep it nice forever,
but I dont know how or what to use. I know this is a popular question
on here, but thought id ask. I like to be able to brush the clear onto
the field. I have sprayed a few cars in my life, but I dont know if my
Binx #7 gun even still works after 10 years. Can one use a previal
disposable sprayer to apply clear. I would much rather brush it on with
a very nice brush. Also since I waxed and cleaned the playfield what do
I need to do to prepare it for clear? What do I do about the inserts?
Thanks again..

If it isn't damaged and is nice, I'd
say no.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
=============================
mikep28@omuonline.net wrote:
> ?

you can touch it up and level the inserts, don't use autoclear, use
varathane to re-clear the topcoat. If you must brush use a foam brush.
There's a ton of google info on this if you nose around.

Your choice, but it seems clearcoating is more for dot matrix pins.

Josh
http://www.pingeek.com

"Fred Kemper" <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote in message
> If it isn't damaged and is nice, I'd
> say no.
>
> Fred
> TX
> CARGPB#8
> =============================
> mikep28@omuonline.net wrote:
>> ?

If you want professional results, have it done professionally. This is
both a skill and an art. There is big difference between a pf (even
NOS) that's been done by CH or PFR versus one that's been done by a
hobbiest that tinkers with it. Good Luck.

I really really dont want to strip everything off the bottom. Thats a
serious pain in the ass. Why cant it be done with everything removed
from the top only. Light sockets I dont care about I can replace them.
Probally will anyway. Thoughts? I also didnt want to sink another $500
for a touch and clear job. I dont think a mint HG is worth as much as I
will have in it.

Dont do anything to it....just play it and enjoy it, touch it up as
much as you can, but i wouldnt clear coat the playfield...I would touch
the whole machine up the best you can...and then i would enjoy the
game....

brivy