62 bit games

rodster682

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hello,
I upgraded to a 64 bit gaming machine. Now I can't install the games I had. Have tried everything. Would like ot play the games I had.

Solution

If you want some portability I would consider getting a DVD Writer drive that connects to the computer with a USB connection! This would allow you to freely move the drive to a laptop or whatever system you have that has a USB connection :)

Like this one:
ASUS USB 2.0 Black External Slim CD/DVD Writer Model SDRW-08D2S-U

jemm

Distinguished
I am sure you meant to say 32 bit, eh?

In Windows 7, you have the ability to install, or re-install programs (games) in accordance with its compatibility.

Make older programs run in this version of Windows (Windows 7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows

Help with Windows 7 compatibility problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/compatibility

Windows 7 Compatibility Center
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx

rodster682

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

No, it is a 64 bit machine.

rodster682

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

The PC is a 64 bit machine. I ran the ganes on the old machine.
The new machine won't read the disk to install.
The drive reads Quake 4 and Door 4 just fine.
Games that won't read are Crysis, S of F and others.

rodster682

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Yes, the old computer read them just fine. I actually bought a newer game of Crysis to see if it helped but it didn't.

D

Deleted member 217926

Windows being 32 or 64 bit should have nothing to do with the drive reading a disk or not. If something is not compatible it will just say that. Also only old, obsolete for Windows XP 16 bit programs are the only things a 64bit OS struggles with. I still play early XP era games on my 64 bit desktop and laptop with no problems.

As said above, are you sure it's a DVD drive and not just a CD drive?

List your components or the model number of your PC if it's an OEM.

I see your problem....

From the title of your post.. its obvious...
Your missing 2 bits...
If you find those... and put them back... I am sure it will all be fine.

Good luck in finding them (dont forget to look down the back of the sofa... can find all sorts of lost stuff there)

Cheers

rodster682

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Do you have a point or do you just like being a smart ...?

rodster682

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

The computer is a Gateway FX 6840
Intel Core i7 cpu 2.8 ghz
8.00 gb - ram
64 bit OS
Disk Drive - ATAPI DVD A - DH 16AASH
Other games run off the drive and install fine. Other programs install off the disk fine.
I have an old version and a new version of Crysis i bought. Neither will be recognized by the drive.
I know it sounds crazy, but it is what is happening.
There is nothing wrong with the drive or the disks. I don't get it. I have fighting this for almost a year.

rodster682

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

The disk drive runs other disks fine. The disk is new. Plus I have an older version and it won't work either.

jordan009

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

What the hell is door 4 and what are ganes?

D

Deleted member 217926

Exactly what error do you get?

I have no idea why this thread is attracting morons but 99% of the posters on Tom's are legiimately out to help others.

Can you burn and read every other CD/DVD except those couple of games?

Edit: This is why I like Steam and to a smaller extent Origin so much. Once you buy a game all you have to do is download it. I have fewer than 10 games on disk out of the 75 or so I own.

rodster682

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

I don't get an error. The drive just won't recognize the disk to install the program.
The drive works on other games and I have installed other programs with the drive as well.
I tried the older version of the game and I bought a newer version of the game and both act the same.
There are other games that have the same problem. But I re-installed other games just fine.
It is very confusing to me and I know it doesn't make any sense.
I have tried for almost all of this year to cure this problem and play the games.

TRENDING THREADS