Sign in with
Your question
Solved

62 bit games

Last response: in Windows 7
December 23, 2012 10:36:07 AM

Hello,
I upgraded to a 64 bit gaming machine. Now I can't install the games I had. Have tried everything. Would like ot play the games I had.

More about : bit games

December 23, 2012 10:44:42 AM

Hey,
provide additional information concerning your PC and the games you're talking about and you'll receive help..
m
l
December 23, 2012 10:48:13 AM

I am sure you meant to say 32 bit, eh?

In Windows 7, you have the ability to install, or re-install programs (games) in accordance with its compatibility.

Make older programs run in this version of Windows (Windows 7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-...

Help with Windows 7 compatibility problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/compat...

Windows 7 Compatibility Center
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-...
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 11:56:21 AM

which games ?
m
l
December 23, 2012 7:18:36 PM

jemm said:
I am sure you meant to say 32 bit, eh?

In Windows 7, you have the ability to install, or re-install programs (games) in accordance with its compatibility.

Make older programs run in this version of Windows (Windows 7)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-...

Help with Windows 7 compatibility problems
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/compat...

Windows 7 Compatibility Center
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-...

No, it is a 64 bit machine.
m
l
December 23, 2012 7:19:41 PM

Brett928S2 said:
which games ?

Crysis, S of F and others. The disk drive won't read the disk.
m
l
December 23, 2012 7:22:33 PM

gammaraytoaster said:
Hey,
provide additional information concerning your PC and the games you're talking about and you'll receive help..

The PC is a 64 bit machine. I ran the ganes on the old machine.
The new machine won't read the disk to install.
The drive reads Quake 4 and Door 4 just fine.
Games that won't read are Crysis, S of F and others.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 7:44:45 PM

could you read those games on another computer ?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 7:46:06 PM

Sounds like a broken disk drive to me.
m
l
December 23, 2012 7:56:30 PM

scout_03 said:
could you read those games on another computer ?

Yes, the old computer read them just fine. I actually bought a newer game of Crysis to see if it helped but it didn't.
m
l
December 23, 2012 7:57:21 PM

anort3 said:
Sounds like a broken disk drive to me.

The disk drive works just fine on other games. Door 4 and Quake 4 the drive reads them fine.
m
l
December 23, 2012 7:59:21 PM

Are you sure it has a dvd drive? and not a cd only drive?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 8:01:50 PM

dust off the inside of hte dvd drive to see if it will read the games and check does dvd for the games if they have any scratch on them .
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 8:06:02 PM

Windows being 32 or 64 bit should have nothing to do with the drive reading a disk or not. If something is not compatible it will just say that. Also only old, obsolete for Windows XP 16 bit programs are the only things a 64bit OS struggles with. I still play early XP era games on my 64 bit desktop and laptop with no problems.

As said above, are you sure it's a DVD drive and not just a CD drive?

List your components or the model number of your PC if it's an OEM.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 8:50:32 PM

I see your problem....

From the title of your post.. its obvious...
Your missing 2 bits...
If you find those... and put them back... I am sure it will all be fine.

Good luck in finding them (dont forget to look down the back of the sofa... can find all sorts of lost stuff there)

Cheers
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:13:26 PM

yoji said:
I see your problem....

Your missing 2 bits...

Good luck in finding them (dont forget to look down the back of the sofa... can find all sorts of lost stuff there)

Cheers

Do you have a point or do you just like being a smart ...?
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:26:01 PM

anort3 said:
Windows being 32 or 64 bit should have nothing to do with the drive reading a disk or not. If something is not compatible it will just say that. Also only old, obsolete for Windows XP 16 bit programs are the only things a 64bit OS struggles with. I still play early XP era games on my 64 bit desktop and laptop with no problems.

As said above, are you sure it's a DVD drive and not just a CD drive?

List your components or the model number of your PC if it's an OEM.

The computer is a Gateway FX 6840
Intel Core i7 cpu 2.8 ghz
8.00 gb - ram
64 bit OS
Disk Drive - ATAPI DVD A - DH 16AASH
Other games run off the drive and install fine. Other programs install off the disk fine.
I have an old version and a new version of Crysis i bought. Neither will be recognized by the drive.
I know it sounds crazy, but it is what is happening.
There is nothing wrong with the drive or the disks. I don't get it. I have fighting this for almost a year.
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:27:06 PM

scout_03 said:
dust off the inside of hte dvd drive to see if it will read the games and check does dvd for the games if they have any scratch on them .

The disk drive runs other disks fine. The disk is new. Plus I have an older version and it won't work either.
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:29:12 PM

rodster682 said:
The PC is a 64 bit machine. I ran the ganes on the old machine.
The new machine won't read the disk to install.
The drive reads Quake 4 and Door 4 just fine.
Games that won't read are Crysis, S of F and others.

What the hell is door 4 and what are ganes?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 9:34:01 PM

Exactly what error do you get?

I have no idea why this thread is attracting morons but 99% of the posters on Tom's are legiimately out to help others.

Can you burn and read every other CD/DVD except those couple of games?

Edit: This is why I like Steam and to a smaller extent Origin so much. Once you buy a game all you have to do is download it. I have fewer than 10 games on disk out of the 75 or so I own.
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:35:46 PM

jordan009 said:
What the hell is door 4 and what are ganes?

Exuse me for my typing.
Doom 4 and games.
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:40:00 PM

anort3 said:
Exactly what error do you get?

I have no idea why this thread is attracting morons but 99% of the posters on Tom's are legiimately out to help others.

Can you burn and read every other CD/DVD except those couple of games?

I don't get an error. The drive just won't recognize the disk to install the program.
The drive works on other games and I have installed other programs with the drive as well.
I tried the older version of the game and I bought a newer version of the game and both act the same.
There are other games that have the same problem. But I re-installed other games just fine.
It is very confusing to me and I know it doesn't make any sense.
I have tried for almost all of this year to cure this problem and play the games.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 9:45:58 PM

are you waiting to see if it autostarts after putting it in?

in 'Computer' under Devices & Removable storage, what happens when you double click the dvd drive?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 9:48:00 PM

Doom 4 hasn't been released yet btw.
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:49:15 PM

boju said:

in 'Computer' under Devices & Removable storage, what happens when you double click the dvd drive?

wait for the auto start and it doesn't. I go to computer and click on the drive, it looks and the drive hums but nothing more.
The bar in the C prompt line runs across but never sees the disk. I try it on other disks and it sees them fine.
It is very confusing as to why just a few game disks have this problem.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 9:49:42 PM

boju said:

^ This.
m
l
December 23, 2012 9:50:06 PM

boju said:
Doom 4 hasn't been released yet btw.

Sorry, Doom 3. You are right.
Quake 4 is the other game that runs fine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 9:50:19 PM

can you right click the drive and select browse or view files?

If you can do that then you may need to find the install file, right click it and run as Administrator.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 9:53:32 PM

Still sounds like the drive it's self is having problems. Maybe with the game DRM. See my above edit about Steam.

A new drive is $16 shipped on newegg. Pretty cheap to rule that out. Also I believe as long as you have the serial number you can add a game to Steam even if you bought the disk and just download it when you want.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 10:01:57 PM

Yea possibly dvd drive. Quake 4 has a lot of compatibility issues and wouldn't surprise me if his other game is having the same problems.

Good idea suggesting steam. i gota try that :D 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 10:07:40 PM

I know as long as the game is available on Steam you can do it. I did it with an old game that came with like a 6800 GT called Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and I did it with Fallout 3.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 10:15:26 PM

Not to kiss Steam's ass too much but you really can't beat their prices either especially the big sales like the one right now.

I just got Dead Island, FEAR 3, Metro 2033, STALKER Call of Pripyat, STALKER Clear Sky, The Walking Dead, Sim City 4 and Wargame: European Escalation all for $55 day before yesterday with the holiday sale. That should keep me occupied at least until the spring sale :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 10:18:55 PM

yea i agree, have had steam since its replacement of won. Didn't know too much about the deeming code scheme. I bought two extra copies of c&c tiberian wars on separate steam accounts and could have saved monies on a copy.. lol now i have 3 copies.. :|
m
l
December 23, 2012 10:21:49 PM

Hi

Just some info of my problem, maybe itl help. My DVD drive stopped reading Microsoft DVD's and Stardock Games. I had to replace the Drive them all worked fine, I made NO other changes. Never figured out why, I figured it was some sort of copy protection fouling up with the firmware, but thats just wild fancy.

Fungi
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 10:24:20 PM

rodster682 said:
Do you have a point or do you just like being a smart ...?

"Laugh and the world laughs with you, Cry (or be a totally sad techo) and you cry alone"

(I may have tweaked that a tad ;)  )

you need lighten up :hello: 

Cheers... and hope you get your problem sorted... (both of them :love:  )

m
l
December 23, 2012 10:49:34 PM

yoji said:
I see your problem....

Your missing 2 bits...

Cheers

+1
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 12:36:01 AM

been reading post back you write the old one could read the game try the old dvd drive in the new computer to install the games and try to read with the new dvd drive on the old computer this way we will find if it is the drive who is having a issue .
m
l
December 24, 2012 8:27:18 AM

rodster682 said:
No, it is a 64 bit machine.

Oh! Sorry I thought it was 62 bit, as the tittle of your post says.

m
l
December 24, 2012 9:32:40 AM

anort3 said:
Not to kiss Steam's ass too much but you really can't beat their prices either especially the big sales like the one right now.

I just got Dead Island, FEAR 3, Metro 2033, STALKER Call of Pripyat, STALKER Clear Sky, The Walking Dead, Sim City 4 and Wargame: European Escalation all for $55 day before yesterday with the holiday sale. That should keep me occupied at least until the spring sale :) 

I signed up for Stream. Downloaded Crysis and it worked fine.
There are limits though. I think I will get a new drive and try that.
Thanks for your help and advice.
m
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
December 24, 2012 9:40:39 AM

rodster682 said:
I signed up for Stream. Downloaded Crysis and it worked fine.
There are limits though. I think I will get a new drive and try that.
Thanks for your help and advice.

If you want some portability I would consider getting a DVD Writer drive that connects to the computer with a USB connection! This would allow you to freely move the drive to a laptop or whatever system you have that has a USB connection :) 

Like this one:
ASUS USB 2.0 Black External Slim CD/DVD Writer Model SDRW-08D2S-U
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 12:03:00 PM

Steam allows backing up of any game (bought from steam) where it compiles into an installer and can be under any different size settings ranging from the above mentioned cd/dvd capacities to larger backups fitting for portable storage drives making reinstalling much faster for the latter as some games using the cd/dvd method will vary several disks ;P.

So for example if you had multiple computers in the house you can install any game you own limitless times. There is a safe guard called Steamguard in place if enabled on your steam account will send a confirmation email with a serial code confirming the account being activated on another machine belongs to you to prevent fraud obviously, pretty good system they have though.
m
l
December 25, 2012 9:42:13 AM

lunyone said:
If you want some portability I would consider getting a DVD Writer drive that connects to the computer with a USB connection! This would allow you to freely move the drive to a laptop or whatever system you have that has a USB connection :) 

Like this one:
ASUS USB 2.0 Black External Slim CD/DVD Writer Model SDRW-08D2S-U

T Y that i sexactly what i did. Bought a new external disk drive. All installed through it.
m
l
December 25, 2012 9:43:15 AM

boju said:
Steam allows backing up of any game (bought from steam) where it compiles into an installer and can be under any different size settings ranging from the above mentioned cd/dvd capacities to larger backups fitting for portable storage drives making reinstalling much faster for the latter as some games using the cd/dvd method will vary several disks ;P.

So for example if you had multiple computers in the house you can install any game you own limitless times. There is a safe guard called Steamguard in place if enabled on your steam account will send a confirmation email with a serial code confirming the account being activated on another machine belongs to you to prevent fraud obviously, pretty good system they have though.

Problem solved, bought a new external disk drive. All games installed.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 25, 2012 11:57:22 AM

Glad I could help.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 25, 2012 9:08:40 PM

rodster682 said:
Problem solved, bought a new external disk drive. All games installed.

Didn't want to install the games on your main hard drive?
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:16:35 PM

boju said:
Didn't want to install the games on your main hard drive?

No, I did with the new external drive.
m
l
January 6, 2013 5:20:57 PM

Best answer selected by rodster682.
m
l
!