StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
As I'm buying a new A64, prolly a 3700+ or 3800+, I was wondering about the boxed cooler. How loud is it? is the cooling good, even with a bit of OC'ing? Or should i just buy a Zalman 7700-Cu and be done with it? Any other silent, good, and relatively inexpensive coolers out there that you could reccomend?

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Thx for that. I think I'll just stick with the boxed one then, cos I'll prolly upgrade to dual core next year and buy that Zalman then, or something even bigger they come up with:)

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Can you really OC a 3200+ that much? how much more heat does it produce?

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
That sounds kewl:p There shouldn't be a problem with the Asus A8N-SLI, OC, or otherwise, don't you think? My case will be a Lian-Li PC61, so the cooling should be no problem..

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
OK, sorry for that:) I'm not a real pro, I just act like one..:p

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Never! You people are all too crazy for me:p Besides, I never have the time to chat unless it's something i don't know, so..:/

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
That's just it, I haven't decided yet. I know that if you get SLI, you should get both cards at once, because the next generation will prolly be much faster than the current one.. But I was still thinking that I could buy a second 6800GT later, if I need to. A bit like the processor upgrade.. And I'm gonna need more HD's too:p

BTW, do you share my vision that in a year or so, games will be optimized for dual-core, and a normal A64 will be left way behind the X2?

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Well, thx for your answers. I have to wait 2 months for financing, so at this point I'm still exploring my options. Well see what I end up buying, but atleast I know a bit more now than a few days ago:)

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Stock cooler is pretty decent, not too loud and does its job well. Since its free (comes with the cpu) I suggest you use it first, and if you decide its too loud nevertheless (which would suprise me), or you want better cooling to achieve higher overclocks, you can always buy a better one later.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Oh and btw, if its needs financing, well, I would suggest you buy something cheaper; a 3200+ or even 3000+ will not be noticeably slower for 99% of the apps/games out there, and the price difference is significant. Just my 2cents though, its your money..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Yeah, I looked around on these forums and realized that it'd be much cheaper if I'd by a 3200+ and a XP-120, since the speed when OC'd would be same or over that of an 3800+..

So I looked around, and I finally found a place here in Finland that actually sell the Thermalright coolers:) So, provided i get the the cash, that's prolly what it will be..

StigHelmer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Yeah, the cooler comes with a 'supposedly' good fan.. =)

And RAM-wise, the only performance ones i really could find here was Kingston HyperX 400MHz 2-2-2-5, that should do, even though it costs like #####.

Edit: I found a pair of Corsair TwinX sticks, but they cost 130€ more than the Kingstons:p
I'm not really a pro, I just act like one..<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by StigHelmer on 06/14/05 08:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>