Compute won't boot after somehow bios auto recovery

pcwizx2

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hello techwhizzes!

I got a problem lately which somehow i can't solve. I usually consider myself having some idea about computers but this things is out of my league.

MY SPECS :
cpu: amd phenom II x4 955 BE
gpu:ati radeon hd 5770 ( GIGABYTE OC EDITION )
ram: 2x2gb kingston hyperx 1600 mhz
mobo: Gigabyte ga-ma790fxt ud5p
power supply: gigabyte 700 w

My computer has been getting BSOD'S for several days after installing java 7 update 8.

I somehow managed to get system back on it's track for few times with cd/usb booting but now, when i start it i just get a black screen no beeps at all and back, gpu and cpu fans are working on max.

Tried reseting bios with clr cmos button and taking the bios battery out but nothing helps.

I thought it could be hardware error and as there was black screen i suspected the gpu which was making problems before the fan came off so I replaced it with accelero l2 pro.

I don't think it's the mobo problem because when i remove both ram sticks i get like 8 beeps until it restarts and everything repeats.

But on the other hand how could it be hardware problem if comp autorecovered bios

I also thought about flashing the bios but the boot is set to floppy so i am not sure how would that work out.

Had been messing with this for few days now.

For any advices thanks in advance :D

pcwizx2

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Well i can't start a disc test or any kind of that for that matter I got no video when i turn my pc on the black screen persists until it restarts.

thanks for reply :D , any other ideas?

Hi :)

IF you can get into the BIOS , then you can set it to boot from cd...and then Run Hirens...

All the best Brett :)

pcwizx2

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
I am not able to get into the bios at all when i start my pc i get black screen at first there's no signal on screen at all and then it restarts and everything starts again

i think a bios update/flash might help so i would like to know how to change boot order if i can't access bios and how from cd / usb should i flash bios.

Maybe the problem is that i installed java 32 bit and my system is 64 please any way to fix this?

thanks in advance

If the screen is TOTALLY black from the start, you CANNOT flash the Bios or do anything else.... take it to a repair shop for diagnosis...

pcwizx2

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Any other idea?

just to mention pc restarts few seconds after turn on and it doesn't boot to bios.

It became quite a problem as i am trying to figure it out for the whole day :fou:

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
You already gave your answer to the problem, you said it does not post Ie one beep of the bios to say all the hardware checks out ok.

But you said when you take the memory out it gives you eight beeps to say there is no memory fitted in the system. That means the bios is working first of all so the board cannot be at fault.

And the second is if it does not boot on replacement of the memory it has something to do with it. It would point to a problem with the memory as you say you were also getting a BSOD when running.
It maybe as simple as a loose bios chip in the socket so give it a light push on the center of the chip with the system turned off then see if it boots fine.

The likely causes can be bad memory, or the memory may not have enough voltage to run right. It incorrect speed setting of the memory in the bios, or that the memory timing is wrong set in the bios for the memory. Make sure you also have both of the sticks in the right memory slots for dual channel setup. The manual will state what slots need to be used.

pcwizx2

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Can you tell me where should i look for the bios chip?

I am an amateur when it comes to bios

but as i don't suspect components that might actually be my problem so i'd like to try that.

Thanks in advance :D

You CANNOT REMOVE the Bios chip...its SOLDERED in to the motherboard ...lol

Take it to a repair shop....

That board has dual bios it is very unlikely that they are BOTH toast.

If you are getting a black screen, It may be best to test the following.

-Run only 1 stick of memory. in the slot nearest the cpu if you can.
-Try the video card in the other slot?
-Check the monitor on a good computer if you can. If you disconnect the screen and power it, do you get a no signal message. At the strangest times a screens back light can fail looking like a video problem.
-Unplug and reconnect ALL power connections, just in case one is loose(very unlikely, but you can only do so much without access to other systems to diagnose problems with).

Have a look at the Tom's forum thread here. I know not all of it applies, but may give you some ideas.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

pcwizx2

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Yea i don't believe it's the mobo fault either and i did remove the rams and put only single stick than the other one and no change.

I reconnected the gpu ,rams, applied new thermal paste on cpu, disconnected the hdd's actually i did just about everything i could think off :(

it's quite weird that after few times of bsods with different error codes like

irql not enough or equal

than memory dump things

i somehow fixed the memory dumps

computer than managed boot and it worked for some time as i said before and yet same thing happened.

and now it's off after turn on it restarts ( i assume because the fans start working louder and on full speed )

It's not the monitor problem either because when i connected the pc to another monitor that works same things happened no bees ( post )
black screen and reset.

it is very strange. full speed fans are exactly what happens when the system does not get to post properly.

Unless you have a power issue.

If a power supply does not indicate "power good". then the board will hold the system in a constant state of reset and not work.

You can try to hot wire(With the power supply OFF and switched off as well connect a wire or use a paperclip to join GREEN to BLACK in the 24 pin connector. ALL other connectors should be disconnected from the board. connecting some fans or old hard drives to give some load may be a good idea, but nothing you care about :) . With that wire in place plug in then flick the on switch on the power supply) the power supply and see if GREY to BLACK gives 5 volts, but with no load, its not a great test.

I did have one power supply stop giving the power good signal and it caused the board to not post either(kind of reminds me of what you have). It ran an old system fine as it did not look for the Power Good signal.

Hotwire a power supply. Be warned some do not work without some load. Thus the fans and old hard drives if you have em
http://4volt.com/Blog/archive/2009/03/12/howto-hotwire-a-pc-power-supply.aspx

Power Good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Good_Signal

If you are not comfortable doing ANY of the above, do NOT do it.

pcwizx2

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
I wouldn't call myself to be enough pro to use any like soldering methods on psu.

If any type of hardware could fail i think it could be gpu as i was having problems with it recently while other components neither cpu ram or any of those never had any errors.

I have read hundreds of posts to solve this. still nothing :??:

that happened after auto bios recovery process

in the middle of auto recovery it reseted and than that happened

pcwizx2

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
well.

I realized that the 1 ram plug was dusty i don't know if that could cause any trouble.

i even took the cmos battery out for 8 hours

just to mention after i turn computer on it restarts itself and than the restart button doesn't work anymore

than i have to do a hard shutdown method with 5 seconds on turn on button :??: