Sign in with
Your question
Closed

LCD Monitor as stand alone display for Bluray?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 16, 2012 10:01:09 AM

Hey everyone,

A friend is upgrading her ASUS VW266H LCD for a better IPS for work related stuff and asked me if it was possible to use the old ASUS as a display to be hooked up to a standard Bluray player.

The monitor in question has HDMI audio and video input capabilities so my question here is can this monitor play media using a Bluray player independant of a PC?

Any opinions would be helpful.

Thanks community :D 
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 16, 2012 3:13:14 PM

Should work why not just try it? Usually the question is "I want to buy something new will it work" not "I already have this will it work?". Plug it in, see if it works.
Score
January 17, 2012 1:32:08 AM

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I don't have a standard bluray player to test with, wouldn't be asking for help if I did.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
January 17, 2012 12:35:13 PM

Trist_58 said:
Perhaps I should have been more clear. I don't have a standard bluray player to test with, wouldn't be asking for help if I did.

Should work, you can use things like game consoles with regular monitors, long as speakers in the monitor work with HDMI. The monitor speakers may only work with the mini din connections. Otherwise you need to check if the player can route audio in a separate stream from HDMI.
January 17, 2012 12:56:13 PM

I had a look on the ASUS website and the specs for the monitor say "AV Audio Input: HDMI " so I think the sound should work fine with the proposed setup. I might just get a cheap bluray player from ebay and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help, hang-the-9!
Score
January 24, 2012 6:01:24 AM

Best answer selected by Trist_58.
Score
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 24, 2012 6:42:38 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!