theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i'm wondering if a SLot 1 PIII on a Soyo mb can be slightly OCed? no one in OC forum is helping me so i though that maybe the more traffic in this forum would help...

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
that is the thing it don;t work with 2000
xp is more 2000 than NT i belive as that NT is too hard for the common users (or maybe i'm wrong? on the surface lookes 2000 but the core is NT??) help me out here :p

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
then the softFSB won;t work then it don;t support 2000 it supports windows NT 4.0/5.0 so i'm gona assume that its old... i think that i would have to go into the bios and hope that i can uturn up the FAS there.... how much ya think i can turn it up? with cpu-z i can see i have a 100.2 MHZ of FSB

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most Soyo boards support manual overclocking in BIOS.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Sinker_UK

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
Version numbers:

NT.......Ver. 4.0
2000.....Ver. 5.0
XP.......Ver. 5.1
XP x64...Ver. 5.2
2003.....Ver. 5.2

---
<b>"Ambition got ahead of adhesion"</b>
<i>Martin Brundle</i>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
which one do you have ? I used to have P3-500 Katmai (I think ?), and it would overclock to maybe 520 Mhz.. quite an astonishing improvement, I guarantee you.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
um i have a (accorindg to CPU-Z:
Intel Pentium III E
Coppermine Core
Brand ID: 2
Package Slot 1 SECC2
Techology: 0.18 U or 180 nm
Voltage: 1.680V
Spec: Intel Penrium III E 550mhz
Family:6
Ext. Family: 0
Ext Modle: 0
Model: 8
Steeping: 1
Revision: cA2
Instructions: MMX, SSE
Core Speed: 551.2 MHZ
Multiplier: x5.5
FSB 100.2MHZ
Bus Speed: 100.2MHZ
L1 Data 16 KB
L1 Code: 16KB
Lvl 2: 256 KB

o and btw there was a setting in the bios to overclock!! the memory too i beleive!!! how much should i turn it up for? the AGP slots is locked though.... hmm i wonder when i upgrade to AMD 64 X2 should i get a soyo mobo? or is it oneo f throse things that are not good no more? or there is better OC mobos?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
BTW the thing goes by increasement of 50 MHZ....... so i dounno if i can acheive jsut 20 MHZ of increament, this should help when i'm haloing :p
o and i bascially run my PC w/O a case cover..... i didn;t brother to put it back on since last time i tried to make my damned toshioba work,
wusy, still no word on sheep 3 dvd burner, LiteOn don;t have it as far as i can tell..

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
is katmai the name of the core of the socket version of the PIII? and what does E mean lol? and is there any bench marks to see if this coumputer will OC and by how much??

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
hmm ok, off core? isn;t that is slow as hell with transfer rate? well i think i'm goan try +50MHZ for starters and see how much more performance i can squeeze out, my video card is great (readeon 9200 256mb) compared to my cpu so that i should worry about that
i got some 512 mb of Sdram (according to CPUZ) so..... wish me luck to not burn anything out, or will it auto shut down?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i would guess so, i jsut wish that they'd offer expansion slots for caches, which are like super rams (or maybe bring rumbus back? i heard that they are good but too expensive at the time, are they bad now with ddr2 and them new ddrs?) with these the gaming enthoustic should be happy

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 06/15/05 11:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
E means Enhanced, it stands for the full-speed on-die cache of Coppermine core processors, which overclock quite easily. Your 550E should easily reach 733MHz at 133MHz FSB, if you have PC133 SDRAM.

No, you're looking at the wrong options to overclock, you can't increase the multiplier as the CPU is locked. You can't go from 550 to 600MHz simply by changing from 5.5x to 6x. You have to raise the bus speed to overclock.

Most compatable boards supported a 133MHz bus with a 33MHz PCI bus, but many had to overclock the AGP in the process, which means you should be using a card from around 2001 for optimal results.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
E means Enhanced, it stands for the full-speed on-die cache of Coppermine core processors, which overclock quite easily. Your 550E should easily reach 733MHz at 133MHz FSB, if you have PC133 SDRAM.

No, you're looking at the wrong options to overclock, you can't increase the multiplier as the CPU is locked. You can't go from 550 to 600MHz simply by changing from 5.5x to 6x. You have to raise the bus speed to overclock.

Most compatable boards supported a 133MHz bus with a 33MHz PCI bus, but many had to overclock the AGP in the process, which means you should be using a card from around 2001 for optimal results.
hmmm where do i check what my memory's FSB is? zpuz don;t tell me as my memory stick r too old....
i might be able to pull a switch from my dad's compouter and take his 512 MB ram (that is on one stick whereas mine are on 3 lol...) and use that only i don;t no if my mobo will support this... my AGP thing is locked tho.....(grayed out) as that my card is a 8X AGP sapphire Readeon 92000 Alantis 246mb ddr memory and idk if my mobo even fully reconize it lol

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
With most chipsets, changing the CPU bus (FSB) changes the memory speed automatically. What specific Soyo board is it?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That chipset supports 133MHz CPU bus natively, no problem overclocking. I think it also supports a 133MHz CPU bus/100MHz memory bus split, just in case you have PC100 rather than PC133, but I can't remember with certainty.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
My Soyo board (KT600 dragon v1.0) has an fsb jumper, maybe yours does it that way as well.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>