Sign in with
Your question

Computer startup not working; stays on login

Last response: in Windows 7
December 23, 2012 12:51:21 PM

Good morning everybody.

About three weeks ago, my brother installed Windows 7 on my computer because it had problems logging in. He did a clean install I think. Before that, my computer was a Vista.

Anyways, starting two weeks ago, I've been having more problems. When I turn on the computer, it gives me two options usually, to log in windows normally or to do a startup repair. When I log in normally, it stays on the windows starting logo for a pretty long time and it either takes me right back to the two options of starting normally or doing a startup repair. Other times, it does some kind of cd or disc check where the screen is black and the words are kind of white. After it's done with the disc check, it usually does not work so I get taken back to the two beginning options OR it does an automatic startup repair for me. The startup repair usually doesn't work either and the process just restarts.

When the startup repair occasionally does work, it goes to the windows starting logo again and then to the login screen. Once I log in, it takes about 30 minutes for me to actually log in. The computer runs really slow once I log on and it freezes/ crashes in about 10 minutes.

I tried putting the windows 7 disc in and doing my repairs from the cd and sometimes it does work and gets me back on the computer, but once I log off, restart, shut down or stay inactive too long, the computer goes right back to starting windows normally or doing a repair. Other times I go to the windows 7 cd and do a chkdsk or something like that and that more than anything helps the most. Alot of times it gets the computer working but once again, if I log off, shut down restart or stay inactive too long, it goes right back where it started.

I'm going crazy people, I don't know what to do!

P.S I did a windows memory diagnostic thing where the screen goes blue and checks for memory problems. It didn't do anything and kept restarting and every time I shut the computer off and turned it on, it went back to the diagnostic. I'm not sure how I got it to stop doing that, but I'm afraid that it will come back. How do I stop that?

Thank you
December 23, 2012 3:27:05 PM

Did your brother give you the correct password for the login ?
Run memtestx86 from a cd on boot.
Check that your RAM is properly seated first.
Does not sound like a clean install to me, if you did not reset partition of HDD or SSD it's not clean, if you did not format (low) HDD or SSD you're in deep mud. If you did not even do a quick format, might as well call it Vista 7.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2012 3:31:53 PM

Could also be a corrupted file system or bad sectors on the HD.

Open a command window and type "chkdsk c: /f /v /r" (without the quotes) and press <return>. Answer the resulting prompt with a Y<return> and reboot. This will take quite a while to complete. Repeat for each HD volume (d:, e:, f:, etc.), skip the obvious things like CD/DVD drive.
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2012 10:24:24 PM

Well, you guys, I don't think it's a problem coming from the clean install because the problem started about a week after the install occurred.

Also, I'm kind of scared of doing any maintenance that involved my computer being restarted or shut off or something because I'm afraid of the problem happening all over again.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 24, 2012 3:48:55 PM

If you know enough to blow off two experts in the field, then you know enough to fix it yourself. I'm outa here.
m
l
December 24, 2012 4:52:38 PM

Sounds like a bad HDD, or computer components.

Try booting with nothing attached. Use different known working PS2 keyboard and mouse, ram, and HDD. Then see if it helps.

Then if the above doesn't help, then do fresh windows re-installation (still without any extra stuff).
- If windows run faster and still runs faster after several reboots then obviously 1 of the extra components are broken (defective mouse and keyboard can make the computer run extremely slow because Windows try to communicate with those devices but got no reply. And so Windows get stuck at the log in screen trying to communicate with them indefinitely.)

Then if the above does help, go back and figure out which components are at fault by plugging them back up one by one.
m
l
December 24, 2012 6:44:31 PM

[/quote][/quote]
ex_bubblehead said:
If you know enough to blow off two experts in the field, then you know enough to fix it yourself. I'm outa here.

Hey now, I din´t mean it like thatñ I´m sorry. Besides, I did follow what you guys said, I was just putting in my own input.
m
l
December 24, 2012 6:46:16 PM

squirrelonfire said:
Sounds like a bad HDD, or computer components.

Try booting with nothing attached. Use different known working PS2 keyboard and mouse, ram, and HDD. Then see if it helps.

Then if the above doesn't help, then do fresh windows re-installation (still without any extra stuff).
- If windows run faster and still runs faster after several reboots then obviously 1 of the extra components are broken (defective mouse and keyboard can make the computer run extremely slow because Windows try to communicate with those devices but got no reply. And so Windows get stuck at the log in screen trying to communicate with them indefinitely.)

Then if the above does help, go back and figure out which components are at fault by plugging them back up one by one.

I would like to try that out but I don´t know how to use a differnt known working ram or HDD. You mind explaining that.

Also, when I tryto do reinstall, I always get stopped at the second step of the installation. It says it had an error.
m
l
!