hmm why is AMD following intel's mistakes?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i saw on THG that AMD have already released their plan for a quad cpu, sounds like the Intels's plan when they changed PIII to PIV... make the coustomers believe that more cores (in intel's case its GHZ) is better...
something tells me that four cors gona need good cooling...... so i wonder if they gona go with this route or are developing better performance per core or performance per MHZ? anyone is on this cuz i'm worried....

edited the y into why :p<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 06/15/05 00:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

You're thinking from a single core perspective. You think that it is a crazy idea to do that (and it is with a single core), but with multi-core CPU's it doesn't matter - each task won't affect the other. I know I get bored converting files, and could do with playing a game to pass the time.

Anyway - with the advent of muti-core CPU's more apps will become multithreaded and performance will increase dramatically.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i would guess but more cores (no matter what) equals more heat and more levels of complexty (gives lag) so with maybe 2 cores or 4 (when i said that amd is following intels mistatks i was sayign that in the future amd will try to get like 8 cores or 16 cores out while dumming down each core's performance to acheive the mutiple cores...) i mean 2 and 4 core is okay but if ya go any further heat and complexity will make the thing bad, if you can;t do one or twon thing good, don;t try to do like 10 things at once, i rather have one good fast job done than 10 jobs done slowly and badly (excipically with games as that if the job is done slowly then there is no way that multi core is good...)

More cores comes with smaller processes (65nm...45nm etc) which results in less voltage -> less heat. Granted, I see what you mean, and your probably right the new CPUS will kick out more and more heat. But AMD won't release a CPU that cannot be cooled sufficiently anyway. I'm sure they have learnt from Intel's mistakes.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
yeah i'm hoping that but i'm saying here is the worst senario: they try to put out a fake image that their cpu is better while it might not (hmmm member PIII to PIV transition HTT saved Intel's ass IMO as that it was great with multi taking, or the deal they cut with microsoft that makes windows system manage "two cpus" better)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 06/14/05 11:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
There is another angle you are forgetting. The main reason 4 core sounds wierd is because we are very used to single threaded games, and progs. If different cores can be used in the same prog, multiple cores could have the equivalent of adative speed.
Personnally, I'm not thrilled with the idea of 2 cores, but, I think that is the hump. Once we get familiar with multi- core, we may even like it.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
There is another angle you are forgetting. The main reason 4 core sounds wierd is because we are very used to single threaded games, and progs. If different cores can be used in the same prog, multiple cores could have the equivalent of adative speed.
Personnally, I'm not thrilled with the idea of 2 cores, but, I think that is the hump. Once we get familiar with multi- core, we may even like it.
that is ture but the thing is with a game utilizing more cores means that they will take longer time to develop (if they decides to develop them at all...) and that is not what gamers wants......... although we will have to wait and see how much more performance you can squeeze out of multi core with programming and how easy it is to duplicate the conditions on another game...

Coders / developers / compliers / languages will adapt - I'm sure eventually coding for dual code apps will be just as easy.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
damn... i was hoping to be a programmer for games.... something tells me that plans are cancalled............................................
X.X hopefully i can lear fast enough as i go... i don;t think i will be able to pick up and contracts (and make more $$)when i'm like 23 then................

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
hmm i woulkd guess that your are right....... man i wonder what job i can find that makes me tinker with top of line stuff and get good $$ for it....(i though if i was a programmer i would get enough $$ to buy the parts i wanted......)

I wanted to be a programmer (and kinda still do) but as Wusy stated...your just a slave. Pay aint all that either.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
lol wusy you look realy far into the futre eh? i migh be retired b4 bio computers become a home commodity (maybe my RRSP will cover computer upgrades by then lol)

wow i hit jourynman with this post! i think..... i wonder if anyone had acheived this in such short time w/o spamming lol
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 06/15/05 00:07 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
oo did i mention i'm a immigrant from china to canada? something tells me that my parents are much better then other asian parents because they let me <b> choose </b> my career direction.... (i learned bold in the faq :smile: )

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm going to do what I always do, encode multiple media files simultaniously using multiple instances of the program. Only with multiple cores, I can push all of them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ofer987

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Hey,

coding for multi threaded applications won't be that hard or new for programmers. I have actually had the chance to use some windows and linux multithreaded libraries when programming. All you have to do when designing multithreaded apps and games is easy: just decide which part of the program should have its own thread (example: the game controller, and the AI). So in this example, say its a FPS game, everytime the game controller needs to access the AI of a character it can send a request to the tread running the AI. And while the AI thread is computing, the game controller can finish computing other things.

btw check out the thread count for your apps by going to the Task Manager, view->select columns and click on "Thread Count".

However, you are right about each core in a multicore system being slower than compared to a single core chip, because each process that runs on a core needs to wait for another process to finish first. But this slight speed decrease is peanuts compared to having a multithreaded app running on a multicore system.

Oh and btw, I too am from Canada, I came from Israel to Toronto a long time ago :).